Great southwest gun range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great southwest gun range

I just want to say thanks to the guys at great southwest gun indoor shooting and archery. We took a couple newbs to shoot for the first time. One of them being my girlfriend trying out her brand new lcp. We all had a great time! Top notch place and will be frequenting this range.

I have to differ. I don't like how they have tables behind the firing line. That results in people walking back to the table to reload their mags and guns. I don't like people walking around with loaded pistiols behind me. Reloading should be done at the firing line, not behind other shooters.
    Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
      I have to differ. I don't like how they have tables behind the firing line. That results in people walking back to the table to reload their mags and guns. I don't like people walking around with loaded pistols behind me. Reloading should be done at the firing line, not behind other shooters.
      That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You unload at the firing line, you don't go anywhere with a weapon loaded at the range. And you load at the line.
      Last edited by Baron Von Crowder; 09-23-2011, 01:14 PM.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I've never had a problem there and go all the time. That is my regular shooting range. Great place.

Comment

That is the only range I have ever been to. And it was the first time I had ever shot a handgun. So I am a complete newb, but I felt comfortable.

As a newb though, I understand what propellerhead is saying. If I didn't have a group there to tell me how things went, I could have possibly gone to the table loaded. I can see how that could be a big issue.

Comment

One simple ooops from a newbie and I could have a bullet in my back. No thanks. I'll go west to Winchester in east Fort Worth instead.
            Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

I liked shooting there when I went.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                I have to differ. I don't like how they have tables behind the firing line. That results in people walking back to the table to reload their mags and guns. I don't like people walking around with loaded pistiols behind me. Reloading should be done at the firing line, not behind other shooters.
                I don't have a problem with that but I understand what you are saying. All of the indoor ranges I've been to (including Great SW) have tables behind the shooters. I typically leave my ammo bag there and reload my magazines at that table and leave my gun at my station or bring a box or two up with me. Now if I see something unsafe I'll say something to that individual, tell the range master, or if all else fails I'll leave.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  I liked shooting there when I went.

x2
                  I would go beat the fuck out of all of them within an inch of their life, then fuck their chihuahua while they watch as they get loaded into the ambulance

Comment

I need to check it out soon!
                    Originally posted by Da Prez
                    Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                    Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

I often reload mags at tables or other locations not directly on the line. I however do not have my pistol anywhere except on the line. When we did the GTG we had 20 people on 10 lanes and it would have been nice to have some tables to put our stuff, heh.

Comment

This is the only range that I will frequent for Pistol / Rifle shooting because:

1) They allow FMJ ammo...that is just awesome. I can't find anywhere else that lets me shoot my spam can 5.45x39 Russian ammunition (even though I did it at Alpine, it's technically not allowed there)

2) They allow rapid fire. Now not like "SAY 'ELLO TO MY LIL' FRIEND" and just mash the trigger as fast as you can, but I like to try double taps and follow up shots. Most ranges have a 1 second rule. I Just wish I could fire something bigger than 7.62x39 (I have a Mosin and a .308 that I want to sight in)

Plus their prices are awesome. Just add a skeet range and I will stop going to Alpine all together.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                          Plus their prices are awesome. Just add a skeet range and I will stop going to Alpine all together.
                          How could they add a skeet range indoors??

Comment

We liked it. We went on a weekday and had extra carrels to ourselves for mag loading, but i could see where the area behind the rightmost carrels was handy for those guys. I didn't see anything unsafe, but then again I can see how that could be abused if it got crowded.

And they have no problem with the 454, though I am using hardcast like elmer intended

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                              We liked it. We went on a weekday and had extra carrels to ourselves for mag loading, but i could see where the area behind the rightmost carrels was handy for those guys. I didn't see anything unsafe, but then again I can see how that could be abused if it got crowded.

And they have no problem with the 454, though I am using hardcast like elmer intended
                              WTF is a 'carrel'?
                              Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                              Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
                              X