So you want to mod your Maglite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want to mod your Maglite?

This is an informational thread about how to mod your maglite to put out right around 1000 lumen. I am going to get this thread up and going for now and will be adding more pictures and information when I get home this evening.

be sure to turn up the quality to at least 480p

Specs:

* High - Estimated run time - Over 3 hours
    * Medium - Estimated run time - 9 1/2 hours at about 350 lumens
    * Low - Estimated run time - 43 hours

Part list:

U.S. source for 32650 protected cells http://www.novaeproducts.com/apps/we...s/show/1846436

3 amp 3 mode driverhttp://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=1866

emitter, part # XML14RND-T6 select BIN 1A or BIN 1D in the drop down boxhttp://cutter.com.au/products.php?ca...+on+14mm+MCPCB

glass replacement lense with AR coatinghttp://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=2131

Charger for the cells
    http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-...er_p_3669.html This charger can be sourced for cheaper but I know this place is legit. On top of that this charger can charge a variety of cells.

Besides those parts you are going to need a heat sink machined out of aluminum. I have all the specs for that as well and can share them. This will require the use of a lathe and someone who knows how to use it. The material is T6 aluminum round stock and it cost about $10 per 1Ft. and that will make about 10 heat sinks. Below are pictures of mine...

On top of this you will have to mod the switch inside your maglite and the tail cap so you can fit the cells as they are longer than a standard D cell. I can provide pictures on how to do this later on. Besides that all you need is a soldering iron and a little time. Total cost is going to be right around $85 if you already have a maglite and about $100 if you are starting from scratch. Kinda pricy but still cheaper for a full setup with batteries and a charger that puts out this kind of light and last as long as it does on a single charge.

I was outside last night playing with it and my neighbor who is a cop pulled up and came over. He was blown away with how bright and how much throw it had. He said the spotlights on their cars are not getting that kind of throw.
    Last edited by inline 6; 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM.

thats a lot of coin. do not need flashlight that bad.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post

Is what CJ thinks back to at the moment his POS flashlight runs out in the middle of a thousand zombie invasion of his bunker at 2 am.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post

Is what CJ thinks back to at the moment his POS flashlight runs out in the middle of a thousand zombie invasion of his bunker at 2 am.
        I'm sure the muzzle flashes coming from copious amounts of weapons will turn the zombie invasion into a comical combination of michael jackson's thiller and a rave.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I want that damn laser!!!

Comment

I'm sure the muzzle flashes coming from copious amounts of weapons will turn the zombie invasion into a comical combination of michael jackson's thiller and a rave.
            Indeed. The inspiration for my zombie gun came from Moe Syzlak-

Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Here is the deal, if you have a lot of gadgets you may already have a charger that will work for this project with a little mod. I am currently using a charger that I have wires held to the contact points with small magnets. That will knock off a chunk right there. At that point your down to around $60 if you already have a maglite. The other stuff can be had cheaper if several people are wanting to do this. Just splitting the shipping between a few folks will knock it down at least another $10. When I got started on it I was thinking a max investment of around $60 and that grew a little because I wanted a nice fresh non beat up maglite to start with and I had to order some stuff and pay all the shipping myself.

If anyone wants a laser like that they are about $150 to the door with rechargeables and a charger (that can also be modded for the maglite project)
              Last edited by inline 6; 09-21-2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

If you wanna build me one I will give you $70? lol. Seriously though, which maglite are you using for the build? If at 1000 lumens it runs for 3 hours I am definitely interested.

Comment

Yea i think i'd rather have you build me one then i'd buy it. My stinger already cost me $180 and i have two. Which are both going out so i may have to buy two more.

Comment

So this is a 3watt LED?

The issue I have with LED flashlights is durability. They always crap out. I've dropped 3 led mag lights and they broke. Most the first time. I just won't spend money for something that is so fragile. These LED's appear to be the same PCB style.

Comment

So this is a 3watt LED?

The issue I have with LED flashlights is durability. They always crap out. I've dropped 3 led mag lights and they broke. Most the first time. I just won't spend money for something that is so fragile. These LED's appear to be the same PCB style.
                      I've dropped mine plenty of times and you're right after dropping them about 200 times they break. I've never had one break just from a regular drop. Who knows how many times my light has fell through the cracks of a car and hit the cement floor.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                        I've dropped mine plenty of times and you're right after dropping them about 200 times they break. I've never had one break just from a regular drop. Who knows how many times my light has fell through the cracks of a car and hit the cement floor.
                        are you talking about mag lites? Because they are shit, 200 drops? no way in hell in my experience. I'm talking about the big mag lites, the 4 D cell/5D cell lights. I have an entire drawer in my tool box full of broken LED maglites.

Comment

i'd rather just pay you for it...
                          first class white trash

Comment

are you talking about mag lites? Because they are shit, 200 drops? no way in hell in my experience. I'm talking about the big mag lites, the 4 D cell/5D cell lights. I have an entire drawer in my tool box full of broken LED maglites.
                            Sorry i thought you meant the whole LED lights as a whole. Mine are stinger.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                              Sorry i thought you meant the whole LED lights as a whole. Mine are stinger.
                              no, I mean the LED bulb itself. I've dropped them before and bam they went out, and then they work for another month with shaking them occasionally to get them to light, and then they stop working. Specifically the style Maglite uses.

Comment

Working...
                              X