Shotgun - Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun - Recommendation

Well, hitting yall up for recommendations again.

Looking for a new or used shotgun with a longer barrel. I currently have an 870 tactical and it's fine for what I use it for right now. Mainly I just go to the Garland range, shoot clays and then put it in the safe. I was going to use it for "home defense" but had kids - and can't secure it good enough for quick access and keeping it away from kids.

Anyway, I want the option of hunting as well as doing some of those courses that are local with clay. They require 20" or longer (maybe 21") and I did some research and it seems like 26" - 28" would be sufficient.

If I go pump, I'd like to stick with an 870. I looked at the Maverick 88s, and some of the Express Magnums and was not thoroughly impressed. Especially with the 88s and decided I need to get some input.

If I go with a semi-automatic, I'm fairly open and I even considered a cheaper over/under.

My budget is probably at 600 and below. I also what to keep it a common gun for ease of finding parts. It seems a Remington 1187 (new) fits the bill, but I'd like input. My exposure is mainly to Remington, Mossberg and Benelli. I never cared for the feel of Benelli shotguns, but they did shoot well.

I don't have a problem with a pump but I'm unsure if that is good for hunting and what I want to do with them. I'm pretty quick about cycling the pumps - but of course you do come off the target a little. However, the options seem endless in the 300-600 range.

I guess it boils down to two questions...

1. Pump or semi-auto for what I want to do?
    2. If semi-auto any particular recommendations or even the same for pump?

Additionally, am I completely off target here - should I aim more of an over/under?
    Appreciate any real world experience and opinions.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Semi-Auto:
    Browning Silver Hunter - Around $800. A little over your $600 budget, but a way better gun than the 1187.
    Weatherby SA-08 - goes for around $600 and is also a better gun than the 1187 imo.

Pump:
    Benelli Nova - $350-$400
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

The weatherby would be good, the o/u will limit your number of shots. If u want to go cheap just get a replacement barrel for yours for less than $200.

Comment

If you are shooting mostly clays I'd get a nice O/U....take that with a grain of salt though, I'm a O/U and SxS fan boy.

I'm a big fan of the Ruger Red Labels, however if your looking for something on the cheap you can look at Mossberg, Yldiez (sp?). Both of those dont have auto exactors which drives me up the wall but isnt that big of a deal for most folks.

For an auto, 1100 all the way.
        "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
        East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
        https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

1100 or 1187, 1100 if you don't need to fire 3" magnum rounds, 1187 if you want to fire all of them.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter Y2K Z28 View Post
            If you are shooting mostly clays I'd get a nice O/U....take that with a grain of salt though, I'm a O/U and SxS fan boy.

I'm a big fan of the Ruger Red Labels, however if your looking for something on the cheap you can look at Mossberg, Yldiez (sp?). Both of those dont have auto exactors which drives me up the wall but isnt that big of a deal for most folks.

I had an auto loader and did not hate it, but was not happy with it.
            I wanted to try another O/U, but did not want to drop a big investment on something I was not sure on. Researching, and finger fucking the cheaper shottys, I ended up with the Yildiz. Other deciding factors were the auto extractors as I would use primarily for dove hunting, also liked the barrel firing selector, Yildiz is also imported by Academy and all warranty work is performed here in Texas by Briley. The wood on Yildiz is also tons nicer then the competition.
            I have had it a couple years now and have not bothered replacing it. I have been extremely satisfied with it.

Comment

IMO, you want either a double barrel or a semi for clay shooting. Some people are good enough to knock out pairs with a pump, but I prefer the ability to make a quick follow up shot without having rack anything.

Now I have seen people get a perfect 25/25 with pumps, but I certainly am not good enough to do that!
              Originally posted by lincolnboy
              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Appreciate everyone's input.

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                Semi-Auto:
                Browning Silver Hunter - Around $800. A little over your $600 budget, but a way better gun than the 1187.
                Weatherby SA-08 - goes for around $600 and is also a better gun than the 1187 imo.

Pump:
                Benelli Nova - $350-$400
                I really like that Browning - but at 900+ (maybe cheaper new, but can't find it) it's just out of my budget at this point. Great looking gun though.

Originally posted by bronco71 View Post
                The weatherby would be good, the o/u will limit your number of shots. If u want to go cheap just get a replacement barrel for yours for less than $200.
                I thought about the barrel replacement too. Just decided against it since they do run around 200 and I'd rather just have another gun at that point. The weatherby seems okay, I just don't know anything about them at this point.

Originally posted by Pewter Y2K Z28 View Post

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                1100 or 1187, 1100 if you don't need to fire 3" magnum rounds, 1187 if you want to fire all of them.
                Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                IMO, you want either a double barrel or a semi for clay shooting. Some people are good enough to knock out pairs with a pump, but I prefer the ability to make a quick follow up shot without having rack anything.

Now I have seen people get a perfect 25/25 with pumps, but I certainly am not good enough to do that!
                Generally, it appears the 1187 is right at or slightly over budget - but based off this input and my general thought process it seems like it maybe worth it to just go for it or find a sale on them.

I'd love to test my skill at real clay shooting with a pump - but if I'm doing it (after thinking on it a little more) I may as well go with a semi-auto since my understanding is they are better hunting guns too.

I'm also going to read about the Weatherby line as well. I may post up with some more questions. Thanks for the feedback though from everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  Appreciate everyone's input.

I really like that Browning - but at 900+ (maybe cheaper new, but can't find it) it's just out of my budget at this point. Great looking gun though.

I thought about the barrel replacement too. Just decided against it since they do run around 200 and I'd rather just have another gun at that point. The weatherby seems okay, I just don't know anything about them at this point.

Generally, it appears the 1187 is right at or slightly over budget - but based off this input and my general thought process it seems like it maybe worth it to just go for it or find a sale on them.

I'd love to test my skill at real clay shooting with a pump - but if I'm doing it (after thinking on it a little more) I may as well go with a semi-auto since my understanding is they are better hunting guns too.

I'm also going to read about the Weatherby line as well. I may post up with some more questions. Thanks for the feedback though from everyone.
                  If you're interested, I'll bring an 1187, 870, mossberg 500, and supply a private range if you buy the shells/clays and you can decide which you prefer.
                  Last edited by CJ; 09-21-2011, 10:10 AM.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I inherited my Grandfather's 1187 that he bought used in the late 60's / early 70's. I was used for bird hunting pretty much every season until he died, and he was one to clean his guns maybe once or twice a year. When I got it I shot several hundred more rounds through it before I finally broke it down and cleaned it (it had finally started to have failure to feeds). Shoot like a champ and still reliable at 40+ years old, though now I just keep it cleaned and oiled, covered with gun stock, and sitting in the back of the safe. It is a beautiful gun, but I prefer to keep it has something to hand down to my children one day.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Op, where are you located?
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                        Op, where are you located?
                        I'm East Plano along the Wylie/Murphy/Richardson borders

Comment

Winchester Super X 3 hands down. Have had one for 4/5 years now and its the best I ever shot.
                          Photobucket

Comment

I would rather have a nice O/U but more out of tradition than anything else. Some of the new auto loaders are bad ass. Last time I shot sporting clays, I used my grandfather's model 12. Biggest issue was when two clays were launched at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
                              Winchester Super X 3 hands down. Have had one for 4/5 years now and its the best I ever shot.
                              http://youtu.be/DEa2HVyZ26I
                              Looks bad ass, just a little above my budget that I'm TRYING to stay at. lol When I buy a gun, I feel obligated to let the wife buy something(s) of equal value. So 100 above is 200 above budget overall.

Originally posted by EW View Post
                              I would rather have a nice O/U but more out of tradition than anything else. Some of the new auto loaders are bad ass. Last time I shot sporting clays, I used my grandfather's model 12. Biggest issue was when two clays were launched at the same time.
                              I'd rock an old, family heirloom o/u - but we have none in the family. At that point I'll just go modern. lol They are nice though, breakdown nicely and feel great. Well, at least pretend aiming at Cabelas.

Comment

Working...
                              X