5.56/.223 barrel twist rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.56/.223 barrel twist rates

I am looking at two different 16" uppers, one with a 1:7 twist the other with a 1:9 twist. The gun will be mostly for plinking so most shooting will be done with a 55-65g bullet. Since both are similar prices is there one you would recommend over the other?

1:7 is going to sling anything up to a 75gr for the most part. A 1:9 will stabilize up to a 65gr, it shouldn't be an issue. Either one would be fine.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Lighter than 55gr with the 1:7 and you have stability issues, heavier than 65gr with the 1:9 and you have stability issues. If you're going to stay with 55-65gr, either will be fine.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

The higher the twist rates the quicker the barrel wears out, they heat up quicker, and it also has a parasitic effect on velocities. That's your trade off.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
          The higher the twist rates the quicker the barrel wears out, they heat up quicker, and it also has a parasitic effect on velocities. That's your trade off.
          Truf!
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I think I will end up going with a 1:9 since this will be a short range gun. If I was going with a 20" barrel I would go with a 1:7 to stablize the bullet at longer ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
              I think I will end up going with a 1:9 since this will be a short range gun. If I was going with a 20" barrel I would go with a 1:7 to stablize the bullet at longer ranges.
              The longer the barrel the less twist needed for stabilization. So it's not that easy. Barrel twists are really complicated when you get into different lengths. For instance, I shoot a 24" barrel on my long range AR, and it's only a 1:8" twist, even though I can shoot and stabilize up to 90gr - because of the length. For a 20" barrel a 1:9 would be fine. And a 1:8 would be for 75gr. 1:7 is excessive at that length in my opinion - it eats up your velocity and decreases your barrel's life for no real gain.

Comment

CJ what do you mean by long range .223? I have never looked closley at the flight path of a .223.

And good point about the longer barrel, I forgot about that.

Comment

CJ what do you mean by long range .223?
                  An AR that's good to 1000 yards.
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                  He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                  Originally posted by Denny
                  What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                  FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    An AR that's good to 1000 yards.
                    yeah, 500-1000 yard shooters.

Comment

So if an AR is good to 1000 yards its should be safe to say with me behind the trigger its good for 150 yards. I need to start some long range practice

Comment

So if an AR is good to 1000 yards its should be safe to say with me behind the trigger its good for 150 yards. I need to start some long range practice
                        Well, not just any AR-15 is going to do 1000 yards. That's quite an investment. This my 1000 yard target rifle:

To shoot 1,000 yards, you're realistically looking at a $3,000+ investment.

you can shoot a 1" group at 150 yards with iron sights and a bare bone 20" rifle.

Here's me at 200 yards 10" disc - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNZWS..._hash_redirect

Just an M16A1 nothing but the factory 20" pencil barrel and surplus M193 rounds. I was pretty much ripping those shots off for speed reasons, but even then that's a 4" group or so.

These are 100 yard targets - all iron sights:

So yes, you should be perfectly fine for 150 yards , that's 1/3 it's total range. Especially if you're going to use optics.
                        Last edited by CJ; 09-15-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I was joking about the 150 yards, some people don't realize how many factors come into effect when shooting over 500 yards. I may see 300 yards but that's pushing it

Comment

I was joking about the 150 yards, some people don't realize how many factors come into effect when shooting over 500 yards. I may see 300 yards but that's pushing it
                            ah okay, missed it.

Comment

Ordered the 1:9 and received a 1:7, glad I didnt buy ammo yet. Before I call them to try and return it I will have to look around for 65+ grain ammo that is hollow or soft point (no FMJ at local range).

Comment

Working...
                              X