reticle choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momo View Post
    i couldn't find the app for free to test so i just bought it. seems nice, a must if you have a nikon scope.

after reading reviews and comments about the app, it looks like it's been updated beyond BDC reticles. it's now just like their web version which has every scope they offer.

try out iSnipe one day. you can find it on installous for free. if you like it, buy it, it's only $7 otherwise just delete it.
    Did you get the BDC, or the app? I wasn't sure from your post.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

CJ, do you have any published apps?
      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
      86 SVO - Sold
      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        Did you get the BDC, or the app? I wasn't sure from your post.
        so far just the app.
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

I have the BDC reticle with my Buckmaster scope on my AR. I personally prefer to adjust my elevation knob to dial in distance. So much easier and more accurate than hold overs. But I still have the instant distance acquisition of the BDC reticle when I choose to use it.

I use the Nikon M223 scope mount with 20MOA built into it, so I have lots of adjustability left in the scope.
          Last edited by GAP; 09-08-2011, 08:42 PM.
          IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
            I'll let you know next time I head out man. I do plan on spending a day shooting my AR getting my distances logged on my turrets.
            I have mine mounted on my 700. But I'd like to test it further than 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
              CJ, do you have any published apps?
              yes several.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I use the Target Dot reticle on any of my target rifles as long as I can find a good scope with that reticle available. If not, then I use the BDC reticles.
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I just a laser ranger finder, and the "Bullet Drop" App (free).

You have to chrono your rounds so you know your muzzle velocity. Input the scope height, bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, and the range you zero the rifle in on.

It will them tell you at various ranges what the bullet drop is (Turn the turrets on your scope to match), and it will even give you windage (You have to input the wind mph).

So far the app works great.

Comment

You guys are right on about Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. Using it to increase your accuracy by taking into account your ca.,bullet,MV and even atmospheric conditions at your location have made Spot On highly desirable. For hand loaders it even has G7 tables.
                    Take a look at it if you haven't already, it's all FREE. Go to Nikonhunting.com,click Spot ON logo.
                    The Nikon Buckmaster Promotion is proving to be huge. A great deal, buy a Nikon Buckmaster Scope from an Authorized Nikon Dealer and get a
                    FREE digital camera ($120 retail value). Again, Go to Nikonhunting.com for details.
                    Bart
                    Nikon Pro Staff
                    e-mail bbk940@verizon.net

Comment

Get the BDC reticle. You don't know how to use the mil-dot reticle.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

not trying to be a dick as far as your OP is concerned, but ...

I've done a bunch of research on cheap scopes recently, and most of what i found was that it's smarter to just get a normal duplex and always dial instead of holding off.

Also nikon has not done that well in reviews recently, especially the buckmaster line. The monarch line certainly is nice to look through but the price gets much higher.
                        I would suggest a Sightron scope as they have been kicking ass against all their competitors in virtually all departments.

Here is the rest of the info I gathered, and typed up to try and save some other people time that are looking for a 'cheap' scope 300-400 $ :
                        copy / paste below

PUTTING TOGETHER A PLAN OF FEATURES:
                        searching for a variable 3 or 4 to 10-14 power scope at 40mm. being very picky about sizing not exceeding 13 inches and weight preferred less than 16 ounces easily. Preference to as light as possible.

1 inch tube, so I could reuse my mounts hopefully. Pricing also heavily dictated that 30mm tubes jump to about 400 $ quickly

debated a lot about adjustable objective, decided against having it (hard to find at this price range also, but mostly considered not needed by many)

debated a lot about a reticle, decided basic unobscured duplex was fine. Going with the old adage to always dial for elevation and never hold off. some of the holdover reticles might be nice, but they cost more of course.

debated a lot about BDC dial's - too freaking expensive for custom dials (~90 bucks from leupold), also even with field data to back it up you are forcing yourself into the mindset of thinking this will accomplish something for you accurately . It generally won't as every damn thing affects a given shot. Seems like a crutch that will ultimately fail you. Only gain i see is in speed of making a shot.

debated a lot about dials in general - decided wanted some kind of 'zero stop' , and finger adjustable with covers, but not tall dials.

RESULTS:

leupold vx-ii line and Mark AR line - fairly good standard for my comparison , well known results, and considered the defacto standard of suggestion by many. prices not cheap for what you get IMO, many also have commented the glass clarity is not that good in this lineup vs. competitors. repeatability of adjustments good. features you get - not so good in my price range. Vx-iii line is very popular and very well reviewed as a value, but much higher price range.

vortex viper line - impressive, gets expensive fast >400 , reviews were great though. got turned off by pricing. Apparently these are awesome 500 dollar scopes, and are blowing away the competition.

minox - reviews were pretty good, especially about the optical clarity. good value . people were not really happy with the repeatability of adjustments and some other misc. items. probably the best glass in this price range of all available. uses german engineered glass. many scopes not very light, however they appeared quite compact length wise. probably a good option in this range if you don't want to be dialing adj.

bushnell elite 4200's - didn't do a ton of research on these. not necessarily cheap. I have looked through one before and made shots, they are definitely high quality, not really that cheap though from what i did see.

nikon - many , many poor reviews, definitely a good value though. I have pulled the trigger with one of these before (a monarch line one) , clarity was very nice. turned off by reviews and the monarch line was much higher priced.

sightron - fantastic reviews about value in the SIII lineup beating virtually any scope in price ranges less than 1000$ , great reviews about the glass, perfectly repeatable adjustments. pricing seemed very , very reasonible for features, etc. weights/sizes looked good. SIII lineup pricier though. SIIB lineup appear to have very similar coatings, and mechanicals. very interested in the resetable finger turrets. SIIB (big sky lineup) reviews good compared to ALL competitors in my price ranges, many by people with multiple scopes and experience in long range shooting / dialing come-ups often.

zeiss conquest lineup - very often mentioned competitor, didn't have much more time to research honestly. Seemingly reached that point of who gives a shit...

DECISION :

Sightron SIIB 3-9x42mm basic duplex

price - 331 online - manufacturer rebate deal -75$ = 256$

wanted a bit more zoom, but didn't want to pay for it. won over by the price and reviews. Weight was very nice at 13 ounces too.
                        just a basic scope , at a more than reasonible price, that will 'do it all' , be repeatible and hopefully reliable. 9x should be enough for the few chances i will find to play around at 500+ yards.
                        really wanted the 3-12x42mm with AO , but the price jumps up to 486-75=410$ . Just couldn't do it, and didn't really 'need' it unless the scope gets moved to a new gun and range extended.
                        it appears sightron is situated as the little known underdog, and I found price that is a niche for the generic role I wanted.

Comment

Mil Dot is not for hold-over or kentucky windage.

My Vortex Viper is a killer scope for the $450 it cost.

Comment

My Vortex Viper is a killer scope for the $450 it cost.
                            x100

Love both of my Vipers. Have 2-7x32 on my AR and a 6.5-20x44 on my target rifle. Absolutley great scopes!
                            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

For a pistol I like a simple crosshair, as thin as possible. I'm not generally going to shoot a target past 200yds/meters. If seriously hunting i am pretty much 50 out to feel confident, anything else is for the range (for my crappy shooting).

I'm just getting into rifles actually, after a long hiatus. But I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with the mildot/BDC/whatever staged drops. Probably a concept of range based on a wheelgun.

Comment

Working...
                              X