reticle choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reticle choices

i think i'm going to buy a nikon buckmaster 6-18x40.
    it is probably going to go on my 20" AR if not probably another similar setup. either way the goal is target distance.

i can't decide what flippin reticle to go with:

i'm okay with the standard crosshair/fine/nikoplex, but i'm leaning towards mil-dot.
    i like the idea of BDC, but it seems like hogwash to me.
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

the only annoying thing about this is that cabela's has Nikon buckmasters on sale for $359 with a free nikon digital camera worth $120 msrp ($90 real price). i would probably just do today but they don't carry the mil-dot. looks like midway has the mil-dot model exclusively. luckily they have it on sale for $309 but that blows my $35 midway coupon.
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Not trying to be a dick, but do you know how to use a mil-dot and do you have a use for it?

Comment

Nikoplex is good, if you have a range finder with you.

I'll be honest, all my Nikon scopes are mildot, yes I know how to use it, but I don't anymore because I have a laser range finder.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
          Not trying to be a dick, but do you know how to use a mil-dot and do you have a use for it?
          yes, i have a general idea of how to use a mil-dot scope. no, i can't do the math but luckily there is an app for that.
          i have a ballistics calculator application that will provide the info i need to use the mildot rather than re-zeroing the scope.

use for it? fun.
          www.hppmotorsports.com
          ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Have you looked at the new Nikon M-223

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
              i think i'm going to buy a nikon buckmaster 6-18x40.
              it is probably going to go on my 20" AR if not probably another similar setup. either way the goal is target distance.

i can't decide what flippin reticle to go with:

i'm okay with the standard crosshair/fine/nikoplex, but i'm leaning towards mil-dot.
              i like the idea of BDC, but it seems like hogwash to me.
              The BDC is actually their coolest reticle. You can match with with their iPhone or Android app and it will give you exact hold over data for that reticle depending on your bullet weight, temperature, distance, barrel length, etc.. It's actually really cool for target shooting if you use it to it's fullest. The only downfall to Nikon scopes is they have relatively little internal adjustment. So if you're shooting a lower caliber rifle over 400 yards, you might be disappointed - but that's exactly why they invented the BDC - to compensate and allow for longer range shots. If I was choosing between the BDC and the Mildot I would go with the BDC because of the integrated apps available. And as someone who writes iPhone and Android apps I can tell you it's very well written.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                The BDC is actually their coolest reticle. You can match with with their iPhone or Android app and it will give you exact hold over data for that reticle depending on your bullet weight, temperature, distance, barrel length, etc.. It's actually really cool for target shooting if you use it to it's fullest. The only downfall to Nikon scopes is they have relatively little internal adjustment. So if you're shooting a lower caliber rifle over 400 yards, you might be disappointed - but that's exactly why they invented the BDC - to compensate and allow for longer range shots. If I was choosing between the BDC and the Mildot I would go with the BDC because of the integrated apps available. And as someone who writes iPhone and Android apps I can tell you it's very well written.
                wow, i'll check their app out then. i always figured BDC wouldn't work well simply cause of various calibers.

have you tried iSnipe? i haven't used it on the range yet but it looks like a good app.
                www.hppmotorsports.com
                ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

wow, i'll check their app out then. i always figured BDC wouldn't work well simply cause of various calibers.

have you tried iSnipe? i haven't used it on the range yet but it looks like a good app.
                  It works great because each dot means something different for each round. Thats where the calculator comes in. I have it on my deer rifle and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                    Have you looked at the new Nikon M-223
                    yea, that 3-12x42 looks nice but it costs more than the buck master with less magnification. plus im not so sure about a platform specific AR in case i was to move it to another rifle.
                    www.hppmotorsports.com
                    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

I haven't tried that one yet. Please take the time to download the BDC reticle Nikon app - I think it will change your mind.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                        I haven't tried that one yet. Please take the time to download the BDC reticle Nikon app - I think it will change your mind.
                        i couldn't find the app for free to test so i just bought it. seems nice, a must if you have a nikon scope.

after reading reviews and comments about the app, it looks like it's been updated beyond BDC reticles. it's now just like their web version which has every scope they offer.

try out iSnipe one day. you can find it on installous for free. if you like it, buy it, it's only $7 otherwise just delete it.
                        www.hppmotorsports.com
                        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Im actually looking at a Buckmaster also, saw that camera deal this morning on SWFA.

My purpose is hunting and plinking at 100 yards so I am going to go with the Nikoplex or the BDC.
                          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                          -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have a BDC but i haven't been to a range with more than 100 yards. If i could get out to one i'd know how good it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
                              I have a BDC but i haven't been to a range with more than 100 yards. If i could get out to one i'd know how good it really is.
                              I'll let you know next time I head out man. I do plan on spending a day shooting my AR getting my distances logged on my turrets.

Comment

Working...
                              X