Help me ID a Rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me ID a Rifle.

I was going through my safe and was looking at a 30-06 my dad left me.

It has a scope mount on it which is covering where I would think the rifle's identification markings would be. Name, model, etc. I don't want to take the rifle apart to remove the mount.

From what I can find on the internet, I think its a Mauser. Now what intrigues me are the stamping and proof marks.

Its stamped US Govt 30 06. It has the Nazi Eagle, the Weimar Eagle inspection stamp 655 and WaA655. On top of the reciever it is stamped BYF 41 which I have found it was built by Mauserworks in Obendorf in 1941.

From what I have found, it might be a converted 8mm to 30-06 but I am not sure since all the numbers match.

I tried to take a few pics but they are pretty crappy. I have also found a couple drawings that match what I have found.

I hope you guys might be able to help me out a little. Is this anything special?

Here is the rifle. I figured it was a hunting rifle but the markings throw me off a little.

It has these two marking except the number is 655.

without better pics of the receiver I'm going to say a barreled K98 Rifles were a dime a dozen after WWII especially since Germany had to disarm very popular for refitting as they still are today

Guess would be they just spun on a new barrel as the case head from 8mm and 06 are virtually identical

Comment

Looks like a German k98 sporterized with a 30-06 barrel.

Comment

damn these sporterized rifles really piss me off. Ruined a perfectly good K98. Enjoy it and hunt with it, they are very good rifles.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
          damn these sporterized rifles really piss me off. Ruined a perfectly good K98. Enjoy it and hunt with it, they are very good rifles.
          Done today? Sure. 50+yrs ago? Who gives a fuck. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            Done today? Sure. 50+yrs ago? Who gives a fuck. Lol
            I wouldn't have been happy doing it 50 years ago either. Historical war rifles (even as plentiful as the K98's were) should remain unaltered.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Dude, that thing should shoot like a dream. I love sporterized war rifles. I really used to want a small-ring mauser in .270 for a long time, but I'm just going to buy a CZ now, since they're basically the same thing, and there's no need to source a vintage gun.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. The proof marks caught my eye but I found it odd that it was a 30-06. Between you guys and Hicompression, I have a better understanding of this rifle.

Now if I only knew how long my dad had it. He hunted moose and caribou in Alaska during the 50s and 60s. I wonder if he used it back then?

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                  Thanks for the input guys. The proof marks caught my eye but I found it odd that it was a 30-06. Between you guys and Hicompression, I have a better understanding of this rifle.

Now if I only knew how long my dad had it. He hunted moose and caribou in Alaska during the 50s and 60s. I wonder if he used it back then?
                  From what I've read in the past, unless you place a REALLY GOOD shot, a 30-06 will just really piss off a moose or caribou, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                    From what I've read in the past, unless you place a REALLY GOOD shot, a 30-06 will just really piss off a moose or caribou, lol.
                    What you read is a misinformed person. A 30-06 kills a moose & caribou easily.

A 30-06 is a very capable round. You dont need a ultra mag to go hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                      Originally posted by Dacotua View Post
                      What you read is a misinformed person. A 30-06 kills a moose & caribou easily.

A 30-06 is a very capable round. You dont need a ultra mag to go hunting
                      I'm not a hunter but my grandpa always said that you had to either shoot them in the eye or be lucky enough to stick them between the ribs and hit their heart.

I do know that to this day, my mom puts ketchup on any red meat because she was raised on moose and caribou.

Comment

I have a friend who has a sporter K98. I love the action on that gun. My granddad had a lot of nice dear rifles but the one he always took with him was a .30/40 Kraig that was sporterized.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                          I'm not a hunter but my grandpa always said that you had to either shoot them in the eye or be lucky enough to stick them between the ribs and hit their heart.

I do know that to this day, my mom puts ketchup on any red meat because she was raised on moose and caribou.

You grandpa was hunting in an era before really good bullets existed. I have killed large game with a 7mm loaded with premium bonded core bullets weighing less then what a .30cal hunting style bullet weighs.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                            You grandpa was hunting in an era before really good bullets existed. I have killed large game with a 7mm loaded with premium bonded core bullets weighing less then what a .30cal hunting style bullet weighs.
                            Back then the projectile norm was FMJ which would make a through and through wound. These days the bullets are partitioned, or made to mushroom out therefore making a large wound cavity and dissipating all of the energy into the animal.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                              Back then the projectile norm was FMJ which would make a through and through wound. These days the bullets are partitioned, or made to mushroom out therefore making a large wound cavity and dissipating all of the energy into the animal.
                              Very good way of putting it blu.

U-tube .17HMR hog hunts. These guys are killing a 2 to 300 lb hogs with a 17 grain bullet. On one shot they killed two hogs! It was a neck shot through to the other hog behind him! The modern projectile

has come a long way in the last 50+ years.

Comment

Working...
                              X