Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parents, how do you keep your young children away from your guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no kids that I know of, but my dad got me the gunvault that Stephen and ghostTX showed. It seems to be very well made and not too loud. as mentioned the beep can be turned off and there is just a LED indicator to let you know if you keyed in the wrong code.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
      Teaching kids at 8 is a lot different than trying to teach a toddler/baby. It's just not going to happen, that's why we lock up guns.

If you don't in your home, that's your call.
      I guess that's my non-parent side, trusting even an educated 8 year old to know to stay away I can't do. Perhaps after 8 years of parenting, I'll have the trust in him or her, to have a loaded weapon accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        I guess that's my non-parent side, trusting even an educated 8 year old to know to stay away I can't do. Perhaps after 8 years of parenting, I'll have the trust in him or her, to have a loaded weapon accessible.
        IMHO, it depends and only the parent of that kid can decide. Same as some parents teaching their kids to shoot at 5...7..etc and some waiting until 12-14 y/o.

I think I'll keep mine locked in the gunvault at night for quite awhile. Again, we let them learn the hard way on a lot of things except...

-Poison (locked cabinets)
        -Electrocution (Covers until a bit older)
        -Guns
        -and of course the obvious stuff like running in the streets and crap like that.

There is a difference between a kid/baby getting tough and stuff that can happen quickly with zero chance of them living.

Edit: Either way, at a young age it is safer to be cautious in my opinion.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...+vault&Ntk=All

i would like one of these for the night stand.. anyone with any experience or reviews on one?

I actually have one of those mounted in the living room and another in the bedroom. Both work flawlessly and have for a couple years now. The only negative I've noticed is that with the larger of the two there is a 1 second delay when you initially press the button while it 'wakes' up...

And there is generally only one out at a time, for which I use education to keep my children away. They know it is always only a trigger pull away from a discharge, and have shot melons and every thing else that I could come up with to illustrate the danger...
          www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
            On your person or locked up.

When I get home, I normally don't remove my carry piece. I've changed my oil, rotated tires, etc., in my garage while carrying.
            Lol. And here I thought I was the only one to mow the yard while armed...
            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
              1 second delay when you initially press the button while it 'wakes' up...
              Mine just came in, I need to check that. ONly problem I have with mine is that it's about 2 times the size I thought it would be, so I don't have a good place to mount it yet. Right now I sort of wedged it under the bed so the kids can't move it.

Now I'm curious if mine has that delay...

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                It's a wonder any of us survived growing up in houses with guns. Dad taught us gun safety and how to shoot at about 8 years old. He also taught us never to fuck with the guns. He always had a loaded pistol in the nightstand and a closet full of guns and ammo and never any incidents.
                Same here.

My grandma had a shotgun in the kitchen/breakfast nook by the chest freezer.

All of us grand kids were exposed to that thing over a number of years, and not one single incident. We knew if we touched it we would be picking our own switch.

Comment

Can I haz the S&W in the background?????

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                  I have a small safe with a spring loaded door. It has a three dial lock that opens with a quarter of a turn. Set the combo and your gun is only a quarter turn away. If you're going out, change the combo and the gun stays locked up.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    Mine just came in, I need to check that. ONly problem I have with mine is that it's about 2 times the size I thought it would be, so I don't have a good place to mount it yet. Right now I sort of wedged it under the bed so the kids can't move it.

Now I'm curious if mine has that delay...
                    This is the one with the actual power cord, as well as batteries. The smaller battery only unit is instantaneous...

Actually mounted both of mine using carriage bolts (rounded head with square under side shank) and nylon nuts on the inside. No way for it to be removed without being opened...
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                      This is the one with the actual power cord, as well as batteries. The smaller battery only unit is instantaneous...

Actually mounted both of mine using carriage bolts (rounded head with square under side shank) and nylon nuts on the inside. No way for it to be removed without being opened...
                      Yeah, mine has the power cord too and is instant. Of course, I did not read the instructions and see that it could use a battery yet though so maybe it'll change with batteries installed. Just got it in and it is much larger than I expected. Trying to find a fair home for it. Wedged 1/4 way under the bed is a no go, about busted my toe last night going to bed.

Comment

Working...
                      X