No announcement yet.

Avtomat Kalashnikova help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that's nice! But not trying to spend that much.

I guess atleast I have an idea now, I have read century is crap shoot and like you said, everything I've read says Chinese suck, guess ill have to find someone with one and see if I can shoot it see how I like it

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      I just checked the local forums, there are no MAK-90's for sale in the metroplex.
      Where do u suggest to look?

Comment

I don't know where you're reading that, but if you speak to anyone that knows AK's they are not going to tell you that. If you search AK quality, or Norinco AK's you will find thread after thread praising them, or ranking them very high in quality. Ignorant rednecks are usually the ones assuming Chinese things are lower quality, when it comes to rifles that is just not true.

Here is how I would rank the quality of AK's:

1) Russian (Kreb Saiga)
        2) Bulgarian (Arsenal)
        3) Chinese (Polytech, Norinco)
        4) Polish
        5) Hungarian (AMD-65)
        6) Maadi (Egyptian)
        7) Romainian (Century WASR-10's)

The top 3 listed there are all VERY close in quality, I would only rank the russian and bulgys above norincos in pre-ban, and even then the pre-ban polytechs were just as good. Chances are the top 4 in that list are out of your price range if you want to be in the $400 range. Really for $400 you're gonna get stuck with a WASR-10. The MAK90 AK's are the best gun for the money, they are the cheapest of the high quality AK's. The Bulgys and Russian AK's are stupid money, and in my opinion not worth it for the differences over a Norinco. The Hungarian AMD-65's are also great guns for the money - albeit funky looking. You can ask gat0r about his AMD-65.

I would checkout texasguntrader.com, and texashuntingforum.com.

But, I think it's important you realize that even the highest quality pre-ban AK is still going to shoot at a mediocre level in comparison to an AR-15. AK47's are not designed for the same purpose as AR-15's. AK's were designed to be full automatic lead slingers. Their primary focus was cheap construction, and reliability. AK47's have several sacrifices that affect accuracy such as an off-balance bolt, offset stock, and and thin barrels. The AR-15's primary focus was accuracy. The big bucks on premier AK's are combination of fit, finish, and milled receivers. The lower quality AK's (like WASR-10's) usually suffer some poor build quality and fit/finish shortcomings. Common problems are misaligned gas blocks, welded pistons, and canted front sights. In my opinion if you're going to make it a plinker that you occasionally go hunting with I'd bring an experienced friend to look over a used WASR-10 and get out cheap. If it's built correctly, chances are it's going to function and perform very similar to a $3,000 Polytech or Arsenal.

I've been trying to build myself a quality AK for years now. Every time I get the money for a quality Krinkov parts kit I end up building another AR-15.
        Last edited by CJ; 09-01-2011, 10:39 PM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Hey 5.0_cj wanna go to the gun show with me?

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
            Hey 5.0_cj wanna go to the gun show with me?
            I'm out of town for the next two weeks, I'm assuming you're looking to get one here soon.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Not in a hurry by no means like I said I was going to wait till October so yeah I'm not rushing

Comment

picked these up at houston gunshow this weekend.

they shoot great so far..

Comment

I've had great luck so far with WASRs. Had a 10/63 underfolder, a 10 and a Draco (albeit not technically a WASR). They were all great guns. Cheap ammo, shit-loads of aftermarket availability for parts, decently powerful, cheap mags.

Fit and finish, yeah... Century is definitely not the gold standard there. Canted sights on both full-length rifles (although they both shot on-target even with the screwed up front sights), mag wobble pretty badly on the 10 (never had a FTF), shitty furniture... For the money they're not as bad as some make them out to be IMO. They're not competition target guns, but they'll still hit most anything you point them at within ~500 yards.

Good luck at the gun show. I have yet to see any higher-end AKs at Will Rogers. You'll find a few overpriced WASRs, but I wouldn't count on much else.

Comment

I'm interested in a mini draco, are there any other manufacturers other than century?

[IMG][/IMG]
                    Ded

Comment

Originally posted by Deviate View Post
                      I've had great luck so far with WASRs. Had a 10/63 underfolder, a 10 and a Draco (albeit not technically a WASR). They were all great guns. Cheap ammo, shit-loads of aftermarket availability for parts, decently powerful, cheap mags.

Fit and finish, yeah... Century is definitely not the gold standard there. Canted sights on both full-length rifles (although they both shot on-target even with the screwed up front sights), mag wobble pretty badly on the 10 (never had a FTF), shitty furniture... For the money they're not as bad as some make them out to be IMO. They're not competition target guns, but they'll still hit most anything you point them at within ~500 yards.

Good luck at the gun show. I have yet to see any higher-end AKs at Will Rogers. You'll find a few overpriced WASRs, but I wouldn't count on much else.
                      That's a good summary really of what to expect from a WASR or cheap AK. Various cosmetic and cant issues, but they should function okay. The difference between a $3500 AK47 and a $500 AK is $3,000.

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt View Post
                        I'm interested in a mini draco, are there any other manufacturers other than century?

[IMG][/IMG]
                        If you had the ambition I'd suggest $800 on a Krinkov parts kit (just saying that blows my fucking mind on how expensive they have become).

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt View Post
                          http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65...mini-draco.jpg
                          I'm not sure about the new Mini Draco, but the older ones were built fairly well. Being that they're pistols, Century didn't have to do much (aka: didn't ruin them) after they were shipped over here. My Draco was great. Shared none of the fitment/sight/wobble issues I had with my other two WASRs.

They're cool guns. I'll likely pick up a Mini Draco some time soon myself. They're mostly pointless range toys, but tons of fun anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviate View Post
                            I'm not sure about the new Mini Draco, but the older ones were built fairly well. Being that they're pistols, Century didn't have to do much (aka: didn't ruin them) after they were shipped over here. My Draco was great. Shared none of the fitment/sight/wobble issues I had with my other two WASRs.

They're cool guns. I'll likely pick up a Mini Draco some time soon myself. They're mostly pointless range toys, but tons of fun anyway.
                            what barrel length are those dracos? That looks like 4" or something absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                              what barrel length are those dracos? That looks like 4" or something absurd.
                              Supposed to be 7.5" for the Mini and 12.25" for the standard Draco.

My old standard Draco:

There are a few AK pistols/Dracos floating around that make the Mini look like Mosins by comparison. Can't seem to find any of the build threads on any of the AK forums, though... May be looking in the wrong forums.

Comment

Loving my $400 Bulgarian AK74, despite it being century (Nodak Spud) I have ZERO issues. Mags are tight, sights are spot on, and plastic furniture has been melted into a pile and replaced better stuff (ultimak)

Love it and i love thr spam can ammo it shoots. - happy camp

fat fingered on my Sprint Evo 4G

Comment

Working...
                                X