No announcement yet.

One in the chamber for your shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep one in the chamber. I do not think that Mr. Badguy is paying enough attention to hear you rack the slide on anything. I'm sure his mind is going a million miles an hour and way to busy to care about a sound that he himself may have made.

Surprise > scare tactics any day.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
      Guys like my with a 2 year old boy are in a predicament. While I would love to be able to keep a chambered gun by the bed like I used to I just can not anymore. I still keep a loaded gun by the bed but just out of his sight. It is not chambered. At this point my boy could not get a firearm ready to fire but that will not last much longer. Since he was barely 1 he will pick up random objects and point them like guns at us or the dogs and go "BOOM BOOM BOOM". He knows what guns are although he has no clue as to the repercussions that one could cause. At this point he does not seem to interested in going after mine. The wife really hates it when I get them out in front of him just because we do not want to spark his curiosity any more at this point.
      No offense meant, but you need to unload the pistol, hand it to him, and let him really check it out. Show it to him, explain what it does, and as soon as possible, let him shoot it. Would you ranter he finds it one day and just uses it to see what happens? or would you prefer that he knows exactly what it does and knows not to touch it unless Daddy is around?

Gun safety is learned by showing your children, not by hiding it from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Venix View Post
        No offense meant, but you need to unload the pistol, hand it to him, and let him really check it out. Show it to him, explain what it does, and as soon as possible, let him shoot it. Would you ranter he finds it one day and just uses it to see what happens? or would you prefer that he knows exactly what it does and knows not to touch it unless Daddy is around?

i dont know shit about kids but he's only 2. i dont think a 2 year olds understand anything that they can't slobber on.

it's a good idea when he is 5.
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
          me personally, i would rather use the sound as a deterrent than have to kill someone. if i shoot from my bedroom, i am taking the chance of spraying in my kids room. my goal is to protect my family, not getting the personal satisfaction of killing the bastard. i do keep one in the chamber on my night stand just in case, but take it out every morning. my kids safety > than any thing you want to fill in here
          and as said above, my kids know that sound and know to announce themselves
          Originally posted by Venix View Post
          Amen to both.
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I keep one in the chamber of my XDm on the nightstand. I figure pointing the red dot down the hallway should be enough to get their mind straight.

Comment

Originally posted by 94mstng94 View Post
              I keep one in the chamber of my XDm on the nightstand. I figure pointing the red dot down the hallway should be enough to get their mind straight.
              but you're again letting them know you're awake, aware and armed... and also your general location. I prefer crimson trace lasers because you can block the beam with your index finger when coming around corners.

If someone comes into my house, the only moment I want them to consider their options is when I have a gun pointed at them and they are caught off guard. I don't care to get into a shooting match in my house, so I don't want them to know where I'm at. And furthermore, I don't want to deter them before I encounter them because I'd like to be able to identify them for my own safety.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

One in the chamber on all my defense guns. I used to leave the shotgun loaded but not chambered, but back in college my wife and I were both woken up by what sounded like someone in the house. I grabbed the shotgun I had at the time and had all sorts of problems getting the thing to feed. This was a gun that I had since I was 12 (I was probably 25 at the time) and had been hunting with and shot many times without an issue. That taught me to be completely prepared and not leave our safetly to chance. My advise is to leave the theatrics of pumping it for the "fear factor" in the movies because you never know if your motor skills are going to go to crap with the adrenaline or if that will be the first time you ever have a feeding issue.
                If you want to give warning, have a round in the chamber and the gun pointed and order them to freeze. Respond to their actions accordingly.

Comment

i need to get lasik to be fully prepared!
                  www.hppmotorsports.com
                  ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

My 9mm that I carry has one in the chamber with the hammer at half cock and the safety off. The .38 revolver I keep under the mattress is fully loaded but isn't cocked, the 12 guage is hidden from view within 10 feet of the front door, loaded but not chambered....I think the sound of an 870 being racked says I mean business, and I'm willing to bet that 2 decent sized dogs barking and growling in the background would make someone think twice before entering the house. If not....may god be with the person who tries to come thru my front door.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                      My 9mm that I carry has one in the chamber with the hammer at half cock and the safety off. The .38 revolver I keep under the mattress is fully loaded but isn't cocked, the 12 guage is hidden from view within 10 feet of the front door, loaded but not chambered....I think the sound of an 870 being racked says I mean business, and I'm willing to bet that 2 decent sized dogs barking and growling in the background would make someone think twice before entering the house. If not....may god be with the person who tries to come thru my front door.
                      Safety off? You crazy.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                        Safety off? You crazy.
                        I keep the safety on my Glock off.

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
                          i need to get lasik to be fully prepared!
                          My vision is bad but I can see body size, motion, and recognize a voice well enough. I don't have to be able to distinguish features to ID an intruder as non-family and hit a target.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                            I keep the safety on my Glock off.

Comment

If it comes down to me needing a weapon in my house, I'd rather let the 00 Buck do the talking and not the action on a shotgun. If it would come down to me racking the slide it would 99% come down to pulling the trigger too, just another half second to let mr badguy try something.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                                Safety off? You crazy.
                                Not at all, you still have to manually cock it back the rest of the way and its only going to happen intentionally. The gun WILL NOT FIRE under any circumstance at half cock. The safety is inconveniently located on this gun so that is the method I prefer.

Comment

Working...
                                X