One in the chamber for your shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One in the chamber for your shotgun?

I'm not sure about the majority on the board, but I keep a locked and loaded 870 right near my bed. I'm curious what everyone's thought is on keeping one in the chamber. I've considered this two ways. One is to leave it out of the chamber, if someone were to break in the sound of racking the slide would be a deterrent. However, it also presents a liability because they know you're a) awake, b) aware, and c) armed. So, my personal preference is to keep one in the chamber, so I maintain the element of surprise. Thoughts?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

EVERYTHING I have that I rely on for response purposes remains chambered.

Comment

At my house in Waco I kept an 870 under my bed with one in the chamber. I felt good about the +1 capacity, albeit my primary line of defense was my 125 lbs dog that really, really hates black people.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
        At my house in Waco I kept an 870 under my bed with one in the chamber. I felt good about the +1 capacity, albeit my primary line of defense was my 125 lbs dog that really, really hates black people.
        that is why my dog sleeps in the house at night... anyone breaking in is gonna know i already got woke up by her.
        first class white trash

Comment

One in the chamber. You break in my house your done.

Comment

There are benefits to each.

One in the chamber does offer the element of surprise, however the sound of the slide is a great deterrant.

I keep one in the chamber, but it's in the safe.

Comment

Yeap, one in the chamber and it's under the bed. Cheap 88 and it's the only one out of the safe.
              You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

I do not keep one in the chamber of my 870 under my bed because i want you to hear the slide rack back. I do keep a Glock 19 chambered on the nightstand with a mag light.

Comment

Always keep one in the chamber on my Mossberg 500 (in the closet), Glock 20 (on the nightstand) and Glock 32 (CCW). Everything else is unloaded but usually with loaded mags at the ready...

Edit: This being my 1000th post!!!
                  I know it's not nearly as much as others have, but it's a lot for me considering I usually only post 2-3 times per day...
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I had a Defender, 8+1 with the pump down, and safety off...

I have 2 young kids, so it's now in the safe.

Both of the elements have benefit, and I don't think either is better without knowing what is gonna happen, which u don't. The only other thought is if anyone, parent, gf, etc would venture in unannounced, racking the slide will alert most instantly to their poor choice, and keep u from killing a foolish innocent.

My 2 cents.
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

me personally, i would rather use the sound as a deterrent than have to kill someone. if i shoot from my bedroom, i am taking the chance of spraying in my kids room. my goal is to protect my family, not getting the personal satisfaction of killing the bastard. i do keep one in the chamber on my night stand just in case, but take it out every morning. my kids safety > than any thing you want to fill in here
                      and as said above, my kids know that sound and know to announce themselves
                      first class white trash

Comment

only my carry weapon is chambered and holstered which is next to the shotgun, both are by the bed.

i've never worried about someone breaking in to my house at night while i've been home but i understand it could happen and i am prepared for it.
                        www.hppmotorsports.com
                        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Guys like my with a 2 year old boy are in a predicament. While I would love to be able to keep a chambered gun by the bed like I used to I just can not anymore. I still keep a loaded gun by the bed but just out of his sight. It is not chambered. At this point my boy could not get a firearm ready to fire but that will not last much longer. Since he was barely 1 he will pick up random objects and point them like guns at us or the dogs and go "BOOM BOOM BOOM". He knows what guns are although he has no clue as to the repercussions that one could cause. At this point he does not seem to interested in going after mine. The wife really hates it when I get them out in front of him just because we do not want to spark his curiosity any more at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                            Guys like my with a 2 year old boy are in a predicament. While I would love to be able to keep a chambered gun by the bed like I used to I just can not anymore. I still keep a loaded gun by the bed but just out of his sight. It is not chambered. At this point my boy could not get a firearm ready to fire but that will not last much longer. Since he was barely 1 he will pick up random objects and point them like guns at us or the dogs and go "BOOM BOOM BOOM". He knows what guns are although he has no clue as to the repercussions that one could cause. At this point he does not seem to interested in going after mine. The wife really hates it when I get them out in front of him just because we do not want to spark his curiosity any more at this point.
                            yea you are going to have to lock them. a 2 year old can't rack a slide but you never want to find out what age they can.
                            www.hppmotorsports.com
                            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
                              yea you are going to have to lock them. a 2 year old can't rack a slide but you never want to find out what age they can.
                              agreed, might want to look into a wall mount that locks the slide back.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X