when do u know ur ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do u know ur ready?

To take the chl coarse that is. Just wondering. I want this to happen yeah but want to know what all should fall in place before I take it.
    Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Nothing. If you're a legal resident with a clear record, a free weekend and a few hundred bucks, then you can receive a license that give you a right that you already have in the first place. They have one-stop shops that will do your photo, fingerprints, class and range all in one location.

Seriously, though, I wouldn't carry unless you are right in the head with all the responsibility that goes with it. Are you comfortable with your weapon? Are you confident in your decision making abilities?

I firmly believe that anyone that wants to carry should, however, in light of recent (past 30-40 years) history, I am OK with some sort of screening process.

Comment

Well that all is good to go. But the fact that I'm wondering if I'm ready should state that I want to be sure of all of the above before I try for it. Look if for some reason I shouldn't then I'm cool with it. I just want to be 100% sure this is a road I should travel on.
      Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

What are your concerns, if you have any?

Comment

If you don't feel ready and are unsure of yourself, then you don't need to be carrying. You sound pretty ambivalent. In terms of class preparedness, there is nothing to it. It's already been spelled out above. However, there is one minor exception. Now you have to go to a L1 location to get your fingerprints done for Texas CHL. Be sure to qualify with a semi-auto. That way you will have the option to carry either a semi-auto or a wheel gun down the road.

Comment

If you are curious about anything just ask and most people on here could explain the test to you. Its quite simple in terms of shooting and carry. It gets more complicated in terms of what you should do in a moral situation.

Comment

I can see the mental/moral part being the biggest thing you should be concerned about... taking and passing the CHL class shouldn't be a worry at all.

if you are carrying and someone is breaking into your truck while you are walking out of the store would you shoot them?
              your answer to this question I think will tell alot about your mental preparedness wouldn't the rest of you agree?

if you are going to be the guy that wants to pull you gun all the time for non life threatening issues then you probably aren't ready is my thought
              1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                I can see the mental/moral part being the biggest thing you should be concerned about... taking and passing the CHL class shouldn't be a worry at all.

if you are carrying and someone is breaking into your truck while you are walking out of the store would you shoot them?
                your answer to this question I think will tell alot about your mental preparedness wouldn't the rest of you agree?

if you are going to be the guy that wants to pull you gun all the time for non life threatening issues then you probably aren't ready is my thought
                Agreed. While it is legal to defend your property, shooting someone is a 100% guarantee of getting to see how the Texas legal system works. So you have to ask yourself: "Is it worth it to shoot this person, pay $25,000 in legal fees, and hope that I do not go to prison?"

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post

Would I shoot him no. No ones life is worth a radio.

Comment

good answer ....

personally to me it is really about life or death type situations.. i'm sure there are CHL holders in the world that would shoot to "protect their property"

Comment

Heres a question.....its 2am at your house...your dog starts barking and growling....you walk onto the patio inside your fenced yard and hear and notice a man walking between your house and the neighbors house with a small flashlight while talking on his cell phone...(the houses are incredibly close together..almost more like a crawl space between fences). He didn't see me but I clearly could see him. What would you do?

Comment

pop him in the knee cap! jk...

confront him from a distance

if he has a flashlight and is talking on the phone he probably isn't trying to be too damn sneaky

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                          Heres a question.....its 2am at your house...your dog starts barking and growling....you walk onto the patio inside your fenced yard and hear and notice a man walking between your house and the neighbors house with a small flashlight while talking on his cell phone...(the houses are incredibly close together..almost more like a crawl space between fences). He didn't see me but I clearly could see him. What would you do?
                          Step one is always the same: Dial 911.

Step two is the moral decision that you have to make. Could it be a power guy making sure the lines are ok? Or could it be a criminal about to bust in? While the law may say it is ok to shoot, the jury will decide if you get to go to prison.

What we teach in class is simple. You use deadly force to stop someone. It is up to you and your peers to decide what exactly that means, hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
                            To take the chl coarse that is.
                            Not ready.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Venix View Post
                              Step one is always the same: Dial 911.

Step two is the moral decision that you have to make. Could it be a power guy making sure the lines are ok? Or could it be a criminal about to bust in? While the law may say it is ok to shoot, the jury will decide if you get to go to prison.

What we teach in class is simple. You use deadly force to stop someone. It is up to you and your peers to decide what exactly that means, hehe.
                              I agree. If you have time and are safe, call 911. Presentation of firearms is when you can't/don't have time to....

As far as the OP, I think the basic question is, do you have it in you to present and potentially kill another human being if the situation merits it? As it's been said, the potential repercussions are huge. Jail time, lawyer fees, courts, friends/family/people looking at you different, probably total change in life, etc. Carrying ain't "cool". There's a burden and responsibility behind it (that probably a lot don't think about).

There was a justified shooting in Oklahoma not long ago, where the wife put down 1-2 guys in her house, in the afternoon. They packed up the next day and moved to another city due to the media exposure and death threats.

One of the best summaries I've heard is, "Why do you carry?" "Because at the end of the day, I just want to go home to my family."
                              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X