.458 socom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
    Really? Do you mean a marlin 1895 with a re drilled chamber? I haven't seen a single 45-90 designed around smokeless powder.
    I couldn't believe it either, but found it on the Wiki page for the 336

".45-90 Sharps (also called .45-90 WCF) is a non-wildcat conversion for the Marlin 1895. The .45-90 is more than a quarter inch longer than the .45-70 allowing the powder capacity necessary to achieve muzzle energies upwards of 4,000 ft-lbs in modern firearms. These high pressure loads are referred to as ".45-90 Express" and are not safe for use in Marlin lever action rifles manufactured prior to 1948 (nor any other non-modern .45-90 firearm). The .45-90 Express is the most powerful conversion available for the .45 caliber Marlin 1895 that does not require a replacement barrel. The .45-90 conversion involves modifications to the action that increase the bolt travel and action timing (to adjust when a round is ejected, and when a new round lifts to enter the chamber), and the chamber in the barrel is reemed to .45-90 Sharps."

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      You better start reloading, that's all I can say, lol. I don't know how anyone could own one of those and get any real trigger time buying ammo at stores.
      You are right! cheapest ammo I can find is 51.00 per 20 rounds. I will scoop the brass up and reload. 350gr lead is about 1 buck per round! LOL

I found RCBS dies, so now stock up on powder! Any idea how many reloads per brass I can get C-J?
      Last edited by likeitfast55; 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
        I couldn't believe it either, but found it on the Wiki page for the 336

".45-90 Sharps (also called .45-90 WCF) is a non-wildcat conversion for the Marlin 1895. The .45-90 is more than a quarter inch longer than the .45-70 allowing the powder capacity necessary to achieve muzzle energies upwards of 4,000 ft-lbs in modern firearms. These high pressure loads are referred to as ".45-90 Express" and are not safe for use in Marlin lever action rifles manufactured prior to 1948 (nor any other non-modern .45-90 firearm). The .45-90 Express is the most powerful conversion available for the .45 caliber Marlin 1895 that does not require a replacement barrel. The .45-90 conversion involves modifications to the action that increase the bolt travel and action timing (to adjust when a round is ejected, and when a new round lifts to enter the chamber), and the chamber in the barrel is reemed to .45-90 Sharps."
        So in other words: Yes. It's a conversion gun, I.E. not manufactured in 45-90. That's cool, I know the 1895 is capable of some big boy rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
          So in other words: Yes. It's a conversion gun, I.E. not manufactured in 45-90. That's cool, I know the 1895 is capable of some big boy rounds.
          Yea definitely a conversion apparently from a 45-70 336 I'm guessing, Wiki is kinda vague. All I know is even for a lever my Marlin is pretty light, I wouldn't wanna shoot a 45-90 from one, or even a 45-70

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
            Yea definitely a conversion apparently from a 45-70 336 I'm guessing, Wiki is kinda vague. All I know is even for a lever my Marlin is pretty light, I wouldn't wanna shoot a 45-90 from one, or even a 45-70
            My 45-70 with factory loads is a kitten. With some hot rod stuff? Not so much.

Comment

I just ordered a RRA .458 SOCOM upper, 100 pieces of brass, 200 bullets, and dies. I already have a bunch of H110, Lil Gun, and large pistol magnum primers. Can't wait.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                I just ordered a RRA .458 SOCOM upper, 100 pieces of brass, 200 bullets, and dies. I already have a bunch of H110, Lil Gun, and large pistol magnum primers. Can't wait.
                gotta love 4 am purchases!
                you've gotta quit drinking and watching HSN
                www.hppmotorsports.com
                ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                  You are right! cheapest ammo I can find is 51.00 per 20 rounds. I will scoop the brass up and reload. 350gr lead is about 1 buck per round! LOL

I found RCBS dies, so now stock up on powder! Any idea how many reloads per brass I can get C-J?
                  with that small of a neck, probably 10-15 per case.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Do you guys shooting high pressures have any issue with primer pockets loosening long before the top of the cartridge wears out?

I have that issue with my 454 brass, seems like 5-7 loads and the primer is almost insertable with your thumb. I almost bought a cup anvil to reshape them at one time but that deal fell through and rules changed on me so less loading.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                      Do you guys shooting high pressures have any issue with primer pockets loosening long before the top of the cartridge wears out?

I have that issue with my 454 brass, seems like 5-7 loads and the primer is almost insertable with your thumb. I almost bought a cup anvil to reshape them at one time but that deal fell through and rules changed on me so less loading.
                      A lot of it has to do with the quality of your brass, and it's tension. I've found starline brass to reload almost twice as long as pickup.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I always start with new SL. I find nickel is a little bit more susceptible to mouth cracks but so slight it could be all perception. But both stretch the pocket.

I have some win and hornady from factory ammo, but I've loaded them so seldom i can't count them. The Hornady seems to be tougher.

It all depends on the loads as well. I use to shoot 4 loads, so some got consistently lighter charges and some heavier by random chance. I used to average 400/month. some months double, some none, depending on the ihmsa schedule. I went through some brass over time.

Comment

Working...
                        X