16" vs 20" ar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" vs 20" ar

does anyone build/buy 20" variants anymore?

this is $535 and includes LPK and a fixed stock:

they sell a 16" version for the same price (my friend has one).

opinions?
    Last edited by momo; 08-09-2011, 11:07 AM.
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

midway has a similar dpms setup with no lpk and no stock.
    price is similar but midway does have a $50 off 500 coupon floating around though.

16"

20"

the two dpms models only say 223. surely it's spec'd for 5.56 too right?
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

not bad man, the velocity/accuracy gain from 16 to 20" is substantial, and if it's for target use it's worth the upgrade. If you plan on shooting further than 600 yards, you probably want to squeeze every last drop out of it. I went with 24" and that's about as much speed as you can squeeze.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        not bad man, the velocity/accuracy gain from 16 to 20" is substantial, and if it's for target use it's worth the upgrade. If you plan on shooting further than 600 yards, you probably want to squeeze every last drop out of it. I went with 24" and that's about as much speed as you can squeeze.
        i feel like i'd be happy with 400 yards. i'll probably buy the 20" from ranger.
        though they do have a 24" for the same price.

would you pay $20 for a rail on the gas block?

i'm going to call to ask about fluted barrels.
        www.hppmotorsports.com
        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post

not for a target rifle.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post

I went no rail and as low pro a gas block as I could get.

JP Enterprise makes a 15.5" tube forend. If you look at pics I have posted I used one on my 24" build. It was a massive pain the rear to set up but it is clean, sturdy, hides the gas block, and gives a lot of room to mount sling, bi-pod, etc.

My 24" gun is a pig with a flutted barrel, I would hate feel it without flutting.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I have always liked the look of 20 inch guns, and have built one, but the current trend is that shorter = more tacticool.
              Originally posted by lincolnboy
              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                I have always liked the look of 20 inch guns, and have built one, but the current trend is that shorter = more tacticool.
                Even with my single 24" AR, the average barrel length in my safe = 16.54"

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                  Even with my single 24" AR, the average barrel length in my safe = 16.54"
                  Lol!

You need to diversify your shit homie

Comment

i'm just going to buy one of each.
                    www.hppmotorsports.com
                    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Lol!

You need to diversify your shit homie
                      That is with a 11.5" in the mix.

I am on gun hold right now. I think I have enough anyway. I am going to buy a Smith Airweight or an LCR for my grandmother to hold for a bit. And I am wanting to pick up some parts and build a few lowers I have.

The problem with diversifying is that 90% of what I have eats the same and feeds with the same magazines. That is so damn convenient.

Comment

That is with a 11.5" in the mix.

I am on gun hold right now. I think I have enough anyway. I am going to buy a Smith Airweight or an LCR for my grandmother to hold for a bit. And I am wanting to pick up some parts and build a few lowers I have.

The problem with diversifying is that 90% of what I have eats the same and feeds with the same magazines. That is so damn convenient.
                        Man, there are a whole bunch of guns out there that take AR mags and eat up 223. Next time you are back, you are welcome to take some of my stuff out to the range.

Comment

Man, there are a whole bunch of guns out there that take AR mags and eat up 223. Next time you are back, you are welcome to take some of my stuff out to the range.
                          I will be home on the 6th and plan on getting plenty of range time in this trip.

Comment

I will be home on the 6th and plan on getting plenty of range time in this trip.
                            Did someone say group shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                              Did someone say group shoot?
                              Did someone say, rent the whole range at Shoot smart for a late night shoot?

Comment

Working...
                              X