Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's new gun law

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/obam...new-gun-rules/

A few days ago, the Blaze reported on the low-key plans of the Obama administration to increase the penalties for certain gun law violations, and add steps to the background checks for legal gun ownership.

Today the administration’s plans are beginning to come into effect. Through an Executive Order, the Obama administration is implementing new restrictions on the sale of certain weapons in border states, and increasing the penalties for violating certain firearms laws.

Fox News is reporting on the purpose of the gun control executive orders:

“In an effort to stem the illicit flow of weapons into Mexico, the Justice Department announced Monday that all gun shops in four Southwest border states will be required to alert the federal government to frequent buyers of high-powered rifles.

Under the new policy, federal firearms licensees in Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico must report purchases of two or more of some types of rifles by the same person in a five-day span. The requirement applies to purchases of semi-automatic rifles that have detachable magazines and a caliber of greater than .22.

ATF estimates it will generate 18,000 reports a year. ATF will retain the information and if no investigative leads have been realized after two years, it will be purged.”

The Daily Beast seems to have the inside track on more Executive Orders, however, claiming recent conversations with administration officials. TDB says the upcoming Executive Orders will have more impact than what Fox outlines above, including:

“A national electronic system designed to make background checks for handgun buyers simpler and faster, leaving an electronic paper trail. [And] Tougher sentencing guidelines for straw buyers that Holder’s department pushed through procedural hoops at the U.S. Sentencing Commission earlier this year.”

The Executive Orders come are coming in the middle of the “Fast and Furious” scandal currently plaguing the administration. Already, there is talk on Capitol Hill of a cover-up at the highest levels of government, and it appears to some that the administration was feeding the lethal problem of firearms trafficking it ostensibly intended to address with “Fast and Furious.”

The question remains- if these Executive Orders are ‘common sense’ measures as the administration claims, why not let Congress enact them as laws? And if they are minor tweaks to existing law as others claim, are they necessary at all?

As background, here is a short clip of then-candidate Obama in 2008 on gun control. He agrees that the second amendment means…something, but beyond that, the details get hazy.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

That last line about the "details get hazy", pretty much describes his presidency. That fucker is in a haze when he wakes up in the morning, until he goes to sleep after a tough day on the golf course.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
      That last line about the "details get hazy", pretty much describes his presidency. That fucker is in a haze when he wakes up in the morning, until he goes to sleep after a tough day on the golf course.
      I know one way to stop the flow, shut down the ATF...
      "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
      -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I would like to see the executive orders.

Also, as long as they don't ban shit or interfere with my ability to shoot or collect guns, I do not really care what they do.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

I think its stupid because it won't stop anything. Why is Obama more worried about Mexico then he is this country. Pathetic.

Comment

thanks for posting this.
            Possibly relieving if this is what they will pull out of their ass vs. what I thought they would.

Of course , we will have to wait and see if this is accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
              I would like to see the executive orders.

Also, as long as they don't ban shit or interfere with my ability to shoot or collect guns, I do not really care what they do.
              "Today the administration’s plans are beginning to come into effect. Through an Executive Order, the Obama administration is implementing new restrictions on the sale of certain weapons in border states, and increasing the penalties for violating certain firearms laws."

That sure sounds like "banning shit" to me. Then again, I'm no DOHCTR.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                "Today the administration’s plans are beginning to come into effect. Through an Executive Order, the Obama administration is implementing new restrictions on the sale of certain weapons in border states, and increasing the penalties for violating certain firearms laws."

That sure sounds like "banning shit" to me. Then again, I'm no DOHCTR.
                The "new restrictions" according to the article include reporting the sale of two or more semi automatic rifles to the ATF.

Doesn't sound like banning shit to me. Then again I am not a high school dropout.

Comment

The "new restrictions" according to the article include reporting the sale of two or more semi automatic rifles to the ATF.

Doesn't sound like banning shit to me. Then again I am not a high school dropout.
                  Thesaurus.com is the world’s largest and most trusted online thesaurus for 25+ years. Join millions of people and grow your mastery of the English language.

I don't see the word "restrict" in that search.

Thesaurus.com is the world’s largest and most trusted online thesaurus for 25+ years. Join millions of people and grow your mastery of the English language.

I see the word "ban" in that search.

Either I'm being too analytical and using what little brain I have left, you're not as smart as you think you is, the author needs to choose a better word, or a combination of all three scenarios.

The fact is, you're right, we need to see what's exactly in the EO before jumping to conclusions though.

Also, since I have your attention, how is that PMR-30? If I'm not mistaken, you acquired one earlier in the year or sometime last year?
                  Last edited by Geor!; 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                    http://thesaurus.com/browse/report

I don't see the word "restrict" in that search.

I see the word "ban" in that search.

Either I'm being too analytical and using what little brain I have left, you're not as smart as you think you is, the author needs to choose a better word, or a combination of all three scenarios.

The fact is, you're right, we need to see what's exactly in the EO before jumping to conclusions though.
                    I do not exactly see where you are going with this. By "banning shit" I meant restricting what kinds of weapons or accessories I am allowed to buy. You are either being pedantic in order to flex your intellectual muscle on the internet, or failed to infer what I meant.

Either way its early, and arguing on the internet if a great time waster that makes the work day go faster.

Comment

I do not exactly see where you are going with this. By "banning shit" I meant restricting what kinds of weapons or accessories I am allowed to buy. You are either being pedantic in order to flex your intellectual muscle on the internet, or failed to infer what I meant.

Either way its early, and arguing on the internet if a great time waster that makes the work day go faster.
                      Eh, I'm not really trying to argue or be pedantic, was being a smartass in my initial post, which should be no surprise to anybody on this board. Was just pointing out that the wording in the article of "restricting sales" infers banning sales rather than just the reporting of them.

Comment

Also, the PMR is a great little fire breather. It is surprisingly reliable for an autoloading rimfire and is incredibly light. Accuracy is decent, but I figure that you have 30 rounds to make one or two of them count.

I got it for a bit over $350 and have been happy with my purchase so far. I posted some videos on here a while back of CJ and I shooting it.

Comment

Well that would put a twist on the next lower group buy.

I am with you guys. I read that this is more for the mexicans. Reeks of "its for the children" (sub in the word Mexicans though).

Now the actual impact on our rights is a minor speed bump BUT a bunch of minor speed bumps can create a mountain for a guy to climb to exercise his 2nd amendment rights.
                          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

So Obama's ATF boss lets guns get funneled into Messico under a halfwit poorly executed scheme, and now Obama wants to put restrictions on law abiding citizens to stop the flow of guns his agency allowed instead of stopping.

Sound about right?

Come on Nov 2012! I hope Obama joins the ranks of the unemployed then.

Comment

Originally posted by Marss View Post
                              So Obama's ATF boss lets guns get funneled into Messico under a halfwit poorly executed scheme, and now Obama wants to put restrictions on law abiding citizens to stop the flow of guns his agency allowed instead of stopping.

Sound about right?

Come on Nov 2012! I hope Obama joins the ranks of the unemployed then.
                              When the NRA takes it to court, it will get thrown out as unconstitutional.

This "executive order" would be deemed unconstitutional due to the fact, that it only effects certain states. It would be like the Obama ordering the IRS to charge people who live in the Richest States to have to pay 10% more income tax. Remember the line "Equal Protection under law". Therefore you can't have a federal law that only applies to certain states.

Comment

Working...
                              X