Rough going for SW Han Solo movie: directors fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough going for SW Han Solo movie: directors fired

But their chance to put their stamp on a galaxy far, far away collapsed on Tuesday with the stunning announcement that the pair would be departing the still untitled Han Solo spin-off movie in the midst of production. Their exit comes after months of conflict with producer Kathleen Kennedy, others from her LucasFilm team, and co-writer and executive producer Lawrence Kasdan, and the two directors hired to infuse the “Star Wars” universe with a tongue-in-cheek sensibility.
    Miller and Lord were stunned to find that they were not being granted freedom to run the production in the manner that they were accustomed to. They balked at Kennedy’s tight control on the set.

A person with knowledge of the production said that the chemistry between the directors and Kennedy was never right.

“It was a culture clash from day one,” the source said. “She didn’t even like the way they folded their socks.”

I heard they quit, and were not fired. They move is a little over 10 months away from release, so im very curious on how this is going to play out for Kathleen Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
      I heard they quit, and were not fired. They move is a little over 10 months away from release, so im very curious on how this is going to play out for Kathleen Kennedy.
      I heard they quit at first, but all the more recent news says they were canned.

Comment

Honestly, my fandom of the Star Wars franchise has nose-dived ever since Return of the Jedi. (Which wasn't exactly the strongest of the original trilogy to begin with)

George Lucas lost his mind with the prequels, and then when I see that hope is not lost with Disney taking over, they churn out the clunker that was The Force Awakens.
        (Yes, I'm sure it made tons of money)

I actually enjoyed Rogue One more than The Force Awakens.

Let's hope they can turn this thing around into something good with characters you can emotionally invest in while maintaining an interesting plot.

But odds are the rest of these will be utter mindless crap that makes Disney billions in profits on anyway.....

Comment

I think you feel the way most of us fans do.

Force Awakens was fine. Far from perfect, but a definite step in the right direction. They managed the charisma, which in my mind is the hard part. Some of it was a little clunky, but I feel alot better with SW in the hands of the mouse than with George.

Rogue One was bad ass. Again, not perfect, but a successful tonal shift that I was really happy with. Best SW movie since Empire.

Young Han concept always seemed broken to me, and now with this news, I certainly don't feel better about it. That said, the tend to make more hits than misses, so I'll give it a chance.

Comment

Ron Howard has been hired as replacement director. He usually does a good job so this is encouraging news.
            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
              Ron Howard has been hired as replacement director. He usually does a good job so this is encouraging news.
              That's crazy. I trust Ron, so that ought to help. Certainly not breaking any new ground there though. Looks like they didn't want fresh faces with new ideas after all.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                That's crazy. I trust Ron, so that ought to help. Certainly not breaking any new ground there though. Looks like they didn't want fresh faces with new ideas after all.
                Nope. Can't remember where I read it, but one report said the big dispute was the other directors wanted to adlib stuff and have more room for spontaneous stuff. The writer (and apparently others) wanted strict asherence to the script because Han isn't funny or goofy, but a selfish and sarcastic (or something along those lines). Doubt the old directors were trying to make this into a comedy, but hard to tell with these things.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                  Nope. Can't remember where I read it, but one report said the big dispute was the other directors wanted to adlib stuff and have more room for spontaneous stuff. The writer (and apparently others) wanted strict asherence to the script because Han isn't funny or goofy, but a selfish and sarcastic (or something along those lines). Doubt the old directors were trying to make this into a comedy, but hard to tell with these things.
                  All they've ever done is comedy though. Strange fit from the beginning. Still, if the final product was their flavor of goofy, nobody would be happy with that.

Comment

In Ron we trust!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      I think you feel the way most of us fans do.

Force Awakens was fine. Far from perfect, but a definite step in the right direction. They managed the charisma, which in my mind is the hard part. Some of it was a little clunky, but I feel alot better with SW in the hands of the mouse than with George.

Rogue One was bad ass. Again, not perfect, but a successful tonal shift that I was really happy with. Best SW movie since Empire.

Young Han concept always seemed broken to me, and now with this news, I certainly don't feel better about it. That said, the tend to make more hits than misses, so I'll give it a chance.
                      Agreed, other than the fact I really CANNOT STAND The Force Awakens and I haven't seen it again since the one time in the theater.

I could have forgiven just about everything else, but to have that much time go by and not have an original story idea... Huge fail in my book.

I came up with 3 plots better than the re-hash they gave us in 5 minutes talking to my wife right after the movie... seriously... she still laughs at me about how much I hate it.

I feel that I can watch Star Wars and Empire instead and see the same story done better by a large margin... but whatever, at this point water under the bridge.

We will see if they can right the ship this December... If they screw up Luke's character, I may be watching the last one via streaming.....
                      Last edited by Gargamel; 06-22-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X