Need new tunes for the ipod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new tunes for the ipod

I put up a thread a while back, but it pertained to 90s rock/alt/grunge mainly.

I need to expand upon my collection, and get more tunes. Most new music (that gets airplay anyways) sucks. Pointless, no soul, and it just flat out sucks.

I'll list out what I like that's current, to give you an idea. I know we have some hardcore music people here, that can help me expand my horizons.

Them Crooked Vultures
    The Black Keys
    The Raconteurs
    Dead Weather
    White Stripes
    Gaslight Anthem
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Gogol Bordello (thanks Geof!)
    Band of Heathens

My taste is kind of all over the place. I can appreciate a lot, and I'm not tied to one specific genre. So, throw it out there. Band names, songs, YT vids or soundbytes would be great if you can find them.

I tried doing this on Pandora, but there is too much SHIT to filter through.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Eagles of Deathmetal fit right in with that desert rock community that QOTSA and Them Crooked Vultures are a part of.

Comment

And I'll always shamelessly plug People Under the Stairs. Hip-hop doesn't get better than this.

Comment

I have been listening a lot lately to the following, if it helps.

Led Zepplin - Kashmir
        Tonic - Rose
        Tonic - Come Rest your Head
        Sevendust - Angel's Son
        Civil Twilight - Letter's from the Sky
        The Cult - Fire woman
        The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary

Comment

You might enjoy Dr. Dog, Delta Spirit, Broken Bells, etc. Get on soundcloud and start picking through folks' stuff. There's also the prettymuchamazing music blog, but sometimes it's too poppy for me.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Arcade Fire's album The Suburbs (which blew my mind when it won album of the year at the grammy's) is excellent. Their best album yet -- don't let the 4 star rating on Amazon fool you. I've got tons of stoner stuff ala QOTSA and TCV. I'll dig through it when I get time and try and recommend stuff. Might even package some up in a file and upload it somewhere for you to check out.
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Also, Flogging Molly is the Irish equivalent of Gogol Bordello. But I'm sure you've heard them.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Like any old school stuff?

Special Ed
                Digable Planets
                Tribe Called Quest
                De La Soul
                Del the Funky Homosapien
                Circle Jerks
                Def Leopard
                Aerosmith
                Eddie Rabbitt

Just to name a few....

Comment

i bought the mumford and sons cd yesterday and am pleased so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                    Also, Flogging Molly is the Irish equivalent of Gogol Bordello. But I'm sure you've heard them.
                    Well aware of Flogging Molly.

Jared - I do like old school, the problem is, 90% of my music is old school because it's all I can stand, really. Other than the bands I mentioned in the first post. I've got stuff from the Beatles, to Jerry Lee Lewis, up through the mid-late 90s. I'm trying to bridge the gap from the mid-late 90s to now. I always catch myself saying "NEW MUSIC SUCKS", which is partially true. That said, the good music never gets any airtime (especially here in DFW) because it's not "mainstream". Austin radio is completely different than it is here. Wish I could pick up some stations down there.

Keep em coming guys!
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

If you can handle some freneticism and dissonance, check out Broken Social Scene. You may have heard of Feist, who got her start with them. Very different sound:

Comment

Wilco. Fantastic instrumentation and a really wide coverage of genres. Their early stuff was alt-country, then they morphed into an interesting experimental rock band, then wrote a complete masterpiece in what is "Sky Blue Sky" and have since started gravitating towards a pop sound that's a little less satisfying.

Their appearance on Austin City Limits (the TV show) presents a really great cross section of their music.

Impossible Germany. Guitar work here is fanfuckingtastic, although it's even better on the album version

Side With the Seeds. More guitar awesomeness from Nels Cline.

Comment

Andrew Bird. Awesome multi-instrumentalist and another dude whose music really covers a spectrum that's unbelievably broad.

Comment

J Dilla. This guy took shits that sounded better than anything put out in hip-hop this decade.

This clip is just a few clips of songs off his album "Donuts."

Comment

I've been digging the 60's/70's lately. Not sure why, just a nice change.

Comment

Working...
                              X