Gaming rig recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming rig recommendations

Well...looks like I'm on the market for a new gaming rig. Been a while since I've kept up with the computer technology, so can anyone give me a heads up on what's good for a gaming rig now?

CPU? Motherboard? Video card (Nvidia)? Case? RAM? I'd like to keep the system around $1K.

TIA!
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

What games and at what resolution?

Comment

RTS and FPS. Currently play CoH, SC2, and CoD series.

Monitor max resolution is 1920x1080.

My current rig is a Asus P5N-D w/ Q6600, 8800 GT, 2GB Corsair RAM. Computer totally freaked today. Was fine last night, and when I powered it up at lunch today, graphics were totally a mess and after a 2nd reboot got a blue screen (but couldn't read it due to gfx). Dunno if it's just the video card or worse, the motherboard.

While I'm at it, what's the difference between Windows 7 Home and Professional? I currently have XP Pro SP3.
      Last edited by GhostTX; 03-30-2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

get a full size tower.

Comment

Motherboard

Processor

Memory x2

Case

Power Supply

Hard Drive

Video Card

Windows 7

Grand total: $1162.47 Shipped

If you are comfortable with 8gigs of ram you can save about $120 of the above price.
          QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

You can do a search on Tiger Direct and filter for "gaming" and $750 to $1000...

Here's the latest video card rankings
            http://techfrom10.com/2010/12/graphi...rankings-list/

Or another comparison with average pricing:
            http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Comment

Want to thank Bryan on the video card until I can "limp" to a new system. Thanks!!!

Thanks for y'alls input as well. Full tower though? More air volume for cooling I assume? Dunno if I necessarily want the added height.

Comment

A mid tower will suit you well unless you plan on putting everything under water.

Comment

Yeah I have the HAF X case and it's a full tower, takes up too much space.

Comment

Full towers are good for water cooling and access to you computer for repairs/upgrading. The case I linked in my above post makes it very simple to build and repair you computer, check it out.
                    QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                      Full towers are good for water cooling and access to you computer for repairs/upgrading. The case I linked in my above post makes it very simple to build and repair you computer, check it out.
                      I agree with you and you can't beat that price either. I saw this at Micro Center last night. Level 10 GT. If I had the money I would have bought it

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                        A mid tower will suit you well unless you plan on putting everything under water.
                        Mid towers are good enough for even tri-sli setups, as I ran one myself. The ONLY issue is I had to literally take off the top lid, both side panels and remove the front panel if I wanted to work on it lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X