Questions before mailing my laptop for repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions before mailing my laptop for repair

So the screen on my Latitude D630 started doing crazy shit last year, and thanks to some on this site, I found there was a pending class action suit against Nvidia for faulty solders on video cards. Well my claim finally got approved, and they are mailing me a box to send my laptop in for repair, but I have a few questions:

1. How do I go about getting the data off my computer if I can't get past the boot screen? I'm assuming the only way would be to take the HD out and copy all the shit to another. Would it be easier to find a clean HD to just swap in before I mail it out?

2. Would it be possible to just send it without the HD? I guess this would be a question for the repair center, but I'm guessing they'd need to at least boot it up and update software or something.

3. What about internet user names and passwords? I have auto log in for pretty much everything (bank sites, paypal, etc), so how can I delete cookies or do anything like that?

4. Any other concerns I should address before I send it off?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ZYouL8R; 02-28-2011, 11:34 PM.

Pulling it and imaging then format would be the best thing. I can help if you'd like.

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      Pulling it and imaging then format would be the best thing. I can help if you'd like.

Bryan
      I'd appreciate that, but I have no idea what that entails.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYouL8R View Post
        I'd appreciate that, but I have no idea what that entails.
        I've got Ghost 11.0CE if you want me to image your hard drive for you (wont cost you but time and fuel) then we Low Level Format it with all 0's to prevent your data from getting in the wrong hands.

I put it on a 300 GB sata and it will just sit there until you get the laptop back, then it just plops back on.
        ..assuming they don't change your hardware significantly

That or just buy a cheap SATA drive that I can pre-image with XP that way they can at least boot test it.

I assume it's out of warranty...?

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
          I've got Ghost 11.0CE if you want me to image your hard drive for you (wont cost you but time and fuel) then we Low Level Format it with all 0's to prevent your data from getting in the wrong hands.

I put it on a 300 GB sata and it will just sit there until you get the laptop back, then it just plops back on.
          ..assuming they don't change your hardware significantly

That or just buy a cheap SATA drive that I can pre-image with XP that way they can at least boot test it.

I assume it's out of warranty...?
          I'd love to meet up with one of you guys but I'm 7 hours from DFW.

Yes it is out of warranty, but this claim covers the new video card and all the labor.

Do laptop HDs fit in desktops? I have 2 HDs in my desktop but I could swap one out to copy the files.

Comment

If you open up the laptop are they going to void the repair saying that you messed with it? Is the problem just the screen or is there something wrong with the computer itself? From what you said it's something wrong with the screen, and if that's the case, why don't you just hook up a seperate monitor and backup all your shit that way and clear all your cookies and internet history?

EDIT: I just reread that it's a problem with the video card itself.
            "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Laptop and desktop hdd's are different sizes. If you have another PC and are willin to go buy a hdd and a usb adapter, I can supply you w/ the software to image your current config over to your other machine for "safety's sake". It's rather simple to do.

If you'll post the make/model or service tag number off your lappy, I'll give you links for what you'd need to buy to get it imaged over.

Bryan

Comment

Laptop and desktop hdd's are different sizes. If you have another PC and are willin to go buy a hdd and a usb adapter, I can supply you w/ the software to image your current config over to your other machine for "safety's sake". It's rather simple to do.

If you'll post the make/model or service tag number off your lappy, I'll give you links for what you'd need to buy to get it imaged over.

Bryan
                It's a Dell Latitude D630. Service tag is JZZ1PD1.

Thanks!

Comment

It's a Dell Latitude D630. Service tag is JZZ1PD1.

Thanks!
                  If there's a Microcenter w/in driving distance, get item(s) and tell them Newegg has them for less.

HDD if you'd like the lappy to have a snappier feel.
                  Get answers to your questions about order status, product information, returns, account questions, business sales, and so much more. We offer several forms of help including community support, chat, email.

We’re sorry, but this page does not existing. Please visit our home page for more information.

SATA to USB Adapter

Get answers to your questions about order status, product information, returns, account questions, business sales, and so much more. We offer several forms of help including community support, chat, email.

PM coming for software.

Comment

Danny, there should be one screw on the bottom side holding the HDD in. Just pop that sumbitch out and send it in for warranty, they don't need it to do a screen repair, and will most likely have another around if they do. Any updates the service center would do would probably entail flashing chips on the mainboard, and the contents of the hdd wont be relevant.

Comment

The gpu is the issue. He could disassemble the unit and bake the mobo to reflow the solder but the issue will come back plus it's a pitb to do.

Comment

The gpu is the issue. He could disassemble the unit and bake the mobo to reflow the solder but the issue will come back plus it's a pitb to do.
                        Why? he just wants to save his data from being lost while the machine is away at repair. last time i was inside a computer, the gpu wasn't in the hd.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                          Why? he just wants to save his data from being lost while the machine is away at repair. last time i was inside a computer, the gpu wasn't in the hd.
                          Kyle, the problem is they need a HD to boot up the laptop to fix it, but I can't currently boot up my laptop due to the GPU problem. I know how to remove the HD, but I'm assuming they'll need it to make sure the GPU works after replacing it. This isn't a screen problem, it's the GPU solders.

Comment

Kyle, the problem is they need a HD to boot up the laptop to fix it, but I can't currently boot up my laptop due to the GPU problem. I know how to remove the HD, but I'm assuming they'll need it to make sure the GPU works after replacing it. This isn't a screen problem, it's the GPU solders.
                            Did you get my PM w/ links for the how to vid and software to image?

Comment

Did you get my PM w/ links for the how to vid and software to image?
                              I did, thanks! I'm kind of weighing my options right now. I'm wondering if it might be easier just buying a new or used HD, loading XP on it, and shipping the laptop with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X