Laptop finds access point but no internet connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop finds access point but no internet connection

My daughters laptop was working earlier yesterday fine and then not able to connect to the internet later in the evening. It found and connected to the wireless point fine just unable to connect to the internet. It is local to her machine as other wireless devices in the house are fine.

I tired to plug it in via Ethernet cable and same deal. I tried the ipconfig/release-renew deal and it says something about 'media disconnected'.

Its a Acer running Windows7

Sounds like it could be a DNS issue. Pull up a cmd prompt and input the following, ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Sounds like it could be a DNS issue. Pull up a cmd prompt and input the following, ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns.
      I was able to successfully flush the DNS resolver cache but on the register its says ' the requested operation requires elevation'

Comment

Ok, since you were able to flush the dns, try the wireless again and see what happens.
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Oh figured that out- need to run cmd.exe as admin to be able to register DNS

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
            Oh figured that out- need to run cmd.exe as admin to be able to register DNS
            Sorry that's my fault for not mentioning that... I'm here in IT and that's just second nature to me.

Comment

It just returned back to the prompt- said something about any issues would be reported in the event viewer.

I fired up the wireless connection - but still have same issue- no internet connectivity.

Comment

Just curious, have you power cycled your modem or wireless router?

Comment

Just curious, have you power cycled your modem or wireless router?
                  No because other wireless devices are currently accessing with no issues. Why is just the one machine having an issue and not others?

If you think it will help I'll give it a shot

Comment

We know it's not a DNS issue. Not sure if you said this but is it only having problems with wireless or when you use LAN as well?

Comment

We know it's not a DNS issue. Not sure if you said this but is it only having problems with wireless or when you use LAN as well?
                      LAN does it too. I did reset and cycle the router no change- same issue.

I double checked the wireless settings - authentication, encryption, and key settings just to make sure the girls didn't mess anything up.

Comment

If it's doing the same thing on wireless and LAN then I'm thinking it's a NIC card issue. You can always try unistalling and reinstalling the driver for the NIC card. If it still doesn't work after that then it's possible that the NIC card is on it's way out. Another thing you can do is open up the hardware manager and see if you have an yellow triangles or red x's by the NIC card.

Comment

Have you tried connecting to a different wifi connection?
                          QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

If it's doing the same thing on wireless and LAN then I'm thinking it's a NIC card issue. You can always try unistalling and reinstalling the driver for the NIC card. If it still doesn't work after that then it's possible that the NIC card is on it's way out. Another thing you can do is open up the hardware manager and see if you have an yellow triangles or red x's by the NIC card.
                            Nic looks good and says its working properly. Thanks for all the help. I try drivers next I guess- weird

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                            I have not tried another connection- I'll run up to the local Starbucks and see what happens and report back

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post

Same issue on another Wifi connection- finds it connects but limited and no internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X