getting ping spikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting ping spikes

How do I go about correcting this? I have had the problem for awhile now. Charter did come out and change something put it only help alittle bit. I was getting kick out of games now I just lag in them. It will work for for alittle bit then hard core lag for about 30 seconds.

Now what cause this? Is it a modem issue ? Router? Wiring? Or is it on charters side?

The techs that have came out to my house both have never even heard the word ping.

If its on charters side what do I need to tell them?

Originally posted by musclestang89 View Post
    How do I go about correcting this? I have had the problem for awhile now. Charter did come out and change something put it only help alittle bit. I was getting kick out of games now I just lag in them. It will work for for alittle bit then hard core lag for about 30 seconds.

Now what cause this? Is it a modem issue ? Router? Wiring? Or is it on charters side?

The techs that have came out to my house both have never even heard the word ping.

If its on charters side what do I need to tell them?
    LOL - I had the same thing happen with tech support for Suddenlink out here in Abilene. I told them that the pings times were horrible and the response I received was "Well, I don't/wouldn't know anything about a ping time." I was shocked, although now I expect it from all variations of tech support.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question.

Comment

I had an issue with both vent and wow random d/c and lag spikes. I replaced the router and all was well. Have you tried going directly from the modem to your p/c?

Comment

I had an issue with Charter a few years ago with speed and then the service just stopped working. Something about the cable they had to run from their equipment on the pole was too long and the signal wasn't strong enough. They ended up installing an amplifier or something on a pole closer to the house and re-running the service with a bigger cable, and it fixed it. No issues now.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

So, understand that those techs really are not network techs - at least the layer 3 kind. Plus, they probably are not paid enough to know - but it would help if they did. Besides, they probably don't care.

The only techs I've seen that knew much of anything were FIOS techs.

First what are you pinging that gets the spikes?

What you need to do is use a widget or some other app that can do continuous pings and preferably log them. You can't just ping random shit on the Internet and blame the ISP.

1. From the PC you're using setup the app.
          2. Setup a ping to your PCs default gateway...
          3. ...a ping to another host on your LAN (NAS, another PC...etc)...
          4. ...a ping to your gateways next hop...
          5. ...something you figure is in your ISPs network (i.e. mail server, DNS server...etc)
          6. ...a ping to say 4.2.2.2 (which can be unreliable)
          7. ...another random host like 8.8.8.8

Generally speaking with that information you can correlate what is going on during the spikes. You'll be able to tell if it spikes on your LAN (which would be your problem, not the ISPs), if it spikes on their network, just some external networks and so on.

Right now you have no idea where the problem actually is....probably. It likely is the ISP, but you have to verify. If it is internal, that'll be easier for you to fix since you don't have to rely on the ISP.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

i start a ping test as soon as i get the lag while playing xbox live. I never use to have this problem and have been using charter for some time now.

Comment

you get this fixed yet Brandon?
              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by musclestang89 View Post
                i start a ping test as soon as i get the lag while playing xbox live. I never use to have this problem and have been using charter for some time now.
                Ya, glad you're troubleshooting it.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                  you get this fixed yet Brandon?
                  Well after I made the thread it started working fine and no lagging. Been doing good for alittle bit. Until last night. Then the shit started all over again.

Guess I need to troubleshoot it some more. I gave up on it when it was working good. But last night was pissing me off.

Comment

Working...
                  X