No announcement yet.

Wireless Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know how to Ping? Also, do you have close neighbors? It is possible that they have recently added a new wireless router and using the same default radio channel that you are. (Similar to a radio station, 97.1 for example, if 2 towers broadcast 97.1 they may trash each other's signals.) If you suspect this to be the issue then Change the routers "channel" it uses to channel 6, or 9 if you're already on 6. If you know how to PING then go through the due diligence of pinging the router from your laptop. Then go into the router and find the routers external IP, ping it. If you have a modem (dsl), find it's IP (probably in the router) then ping it. Then, find your ISP's DNS server. Ping it by IP and then name. This is all basic networking 101. The good thing is that people aren't born with this "talent". It's just reading, in some cases, a LOT. And, convincing yourself not to go Hulk on the router. I know, I've been there. For the record. If you're not too far from Mansfield and can provide beer I'd be willing to swing by and take a look at it.
    <-- Wireless home network with Windows NT Domain since 1999.
    Last edited by Darren M; 02-07-2011, 10:13 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
      Do you know how to Ping? Also, do you have close neighbors? It is possible that they have recently added a new wireless router and using the same default radio channel that you are. (Similar to a radio station, 97.1 for example, if 2 towers broadcast 97.1 they may trash each other's signals.) If you suspect this to be the issue then Change the routers "channel" it uses to channel 6, or 9 if you're already on 6. If you know how to PING then go through the due diligence of pinging the router from your laptop. Then go into the router and find the routers external IP, ping it. If you have a modem (dsl), find it's IP (probably in the router) then ping it. Then, find your ISP's DNS server. Ping it by IP and then name. This is all basic networking 101. The good thing is that people aren't born with this "talent". It's just reading, in some cases, a LOT. And, convincing yourself not to go Hulk on the router. I know, I've been there. For the record. If you're not too far from Mansfield and can provide beer I'd be willing to swing by and take a look at it.
      <-- Wireless home network with Windows NT Domain since 1999.
      Six pack for effort, case if you fix it? I'm in Euless right by the South entrance of the Airport.

Comment

LOL. I know that area well. In one of the apartment complexes off 360? If so it's probably just a simple channel issue. I MIGHT be able to resolve this remotely. Do you have any availability at home from 9 to 5? If so I have tools that allow me to remotely control your machine. Obviously we'll be on the phone and I'll be happy to explain everything I'm doing and you'll see it all too. Shoot me a PM if this interests you. Sure makes my life easy. ;-)
        Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
        There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Working...
        X