Critical Java Update Plugs 37 Security Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Java Update Plugs 37 Security Holes

Oracle has pushed a critical patch update for its Java SE platform that fixes at least 37 security vulnerabilities in the widely-installed program. Several of these flaws are so severe that they are likely to be exploited by malware or attackers in the days or weeks ahead. So — if you have Java installed — it is time to update (or to ditch the program once and for all).

The latest update for Java 7 (the version most users will have installed) brings the program to Java 7 Update 55. Those who’ve chosen to upgrade to the newer, “feature release” version of Java — Java 8 — will find fixes available in Java 8 Update 5 (Java 8 doesn’t work on Windows XP).

According to Oracle, at least four of the 37 security holes plugged in this release earned a Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) rating of 10.0 — the most severe possible. According to Oracle, vulnerabilities with a 10.0 CVSS score are those which can be easily exploited remotely and without authentication, and which result in the complete compromise of the host operating system.

If you have/need Java, JavaRa is my prefered method for updating it since it has the ability to remove old, insecure versions and files of Java.

Billions of devices... BILLIONS.
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Slightly jealous of Java. ... its so easy for them to plug 37 holes.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
        Slightly jealous of Java. ... its so easy for them to plug 37 holes.
        Yeah, but they made 57 new holes plugging those...
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Java has always been a massive fucking security leak. I absolutely refuse to use it anymore.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            Java has always been a massive fucking security leak. I absolutely refuse to use it anymore.
            Our company has software that REQUIRES j6u7. . . its laughable.
            sigpic

Comment

I remember the good old days when Java was touted as ultra secure, and you couldn't do anything with it other than making Applets for web pages.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

java suXX0rs
                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                X