Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For normal uses is there any reason to go 64 bit over 32 bit Win7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For normal uses is there any reason to go 64 bit over 32 bit Win7?

Finally got around to doing a backup on my Vista desktop last night so I could experiment with Windows 7 and see how well it runs. My Desktop is a Core 2 Duo 3ghz with 4gb of ram, and a 250gb SATA HDD. It runs beautifully with Vista home premium 32bit. I installed Win7 64 bit to see about compatibility and found a few programs that will not run...Photoshop (which I use all the time), DVD43 (use occasionally), and read that Itunes doesn't play nicely with 64bit. Admittedly the computer seems to respond and boot considerably quicker with 64 bit although I haven't installed an antivirus/malware YET, and still have several other programs and peripherals before I'm done. I'm just wondering if 64 bit is worth the hassle over a seemingly good running 32 bit Vista machine?

I don't know too much about this but what I know for sure is that with 64bit you are able to access all 4gbs of ram whereas with 32 bit you lose 1gb not 100% sure on this though someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

I've never had one issue with iTunes or photoshop on 64bit windows. You will probably just have to reinstall them after you upgrade. As far as dvd43 I have never use it.

I like 64bit Better. If your running over 3gb of ram you need 64bit otherwise the extra over 3gb is wasted.

I'm currently running 6gb ram and utilize up to 4gb at times. 32bit wouldn't work for me. I think most the problems you've read about was when the 64bit thing was "new"...

As a matter of fact a lot of programs are still installed as 32bit.

Comment

Since I built my pc from the ground up to run 64 os with 8gb of ram and a 4 core processor, I haven't had no lagging or freezing up with vista 64 or win7 64 either.

Comment

64 bit favors more ram. you can only use 3.25 gb of ram on the 32 bit. Where as I am using 8 GB on my setup
          First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

As mentioned, 32bit can only use 3.25GB of ram, which is a big deal to someone like me. I have never had an issue with a 64 bit OS, not one program has refused to run for me with vista X64. If you aren't doing heavy gaming, then you really don't NEED the extra ram.

Comment

I thought about going to 64,but I have programs that won't work with 64, so I decided to stay with 32bit. That and I don't need more ram that I have(4gig stick).

On a side note...I just rebuilt my pc with help from TXRedneck(thanks bro). Phenom II x4 965be,Asus MB, and picked up a 60 gig SSD HD. I used the Turbo EVO program that came with the MB and was able to clock it to 4.179Ghz. Stayed at 50 degrees C 100% load using intel stress test for 10 runs. At idle, I'm around 29-31 degrees. PC fucking flies now..lol

Comment

<-- running win7 64 on my notebook and I haven't had any problems.

I'm about to install it on my HTPC so I can have more than 4GB RAM(I'm thinking 8GB should be sufficient ).

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                  I thought about going to 64,but I have programs that won't work with 64, so I decided to stay with 32bit. That and I don't need more ram that I have(4gig stick).

On a side note...I just rebuilt my pc with help from TXRedneck(thanks bro). Phenom II x4 965be,Asus MB, and picked up a 60 gig SSD HD. I used the Turbo EVO program that came with the MB and was able to clock it to 4.179Ghz. Stayed at 50 degrees C 100% load using intel stress test for 10 runs. At idle, I'm around 29-31 degrees. PC fucking flies now..lol
                  Now that you have an ssd, here's how to maintain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                    Now that you have an ssd, here's how to maintain it.

http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/in..._fromsearch__1

thanks man..good info in there

Comment

i have the 64 bit 7 on my laptop and i love it. haven't had any problems with any programs or anything.

Comment

I personally would prefer to use x64, but that would mean any time I want/need to use my scanner, I'd have to run XP in 7's virtual pc and that would be a pita. My old scanner has Vista x86 drivers that I can use natively in 7 so why would I add the extra hassle?

Comment

I just installed 32 bit and im having some problems with it. Its not letting me adjust the resolution on it at all. Its all huge and shit.
                          GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

Did you see my pm reply?

Tomorrow evening(8:00 rill 10) send me a text w/ the ID and Pword and we'll figure out what's going on.

Bryan
                            972-nine2six_32threesix
                            Last edited by Tx Redneck; 01-06-2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X