No announcement yet.

Converting Mini DV to Digital (Dazzle?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Mini DV to Digital (Dazzle?)

I have a bunch of old movies I made in Highschool on MiniDV tapes, I want to convert them to digital and maybe do a little editing.

I have seen things like Dazzle that comes with the adapter for the camera and I think the necessary program as well. I was wondering if anybody had any person experience with Dazzle or recommendations for something similar that is inexpensive.

(The only AV out cord for the camera that I know I have is RCA if that matters)

Thanks for the help.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Just take it to a camera store and they'll convert it cheap for like $20.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
      Just take it to a camera store and they'll convert it cheap for like $20.
      If that's $20 each that won't work, Ive got at least 8 tapes I want to convert and probably will have more in the future. I would really like to do it myself if I can find a good home solution, plus the idea of editing and maybe adding music is really what I would like to try.
      "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
        I have a bunch of old movies I made in Highschool on MiniDV tapes, I want to convert them to digital and maybe do a little editing.

I have seen things like Dazzle that comes with the adapter for the camera and I think the necessary program as well. I was wondering if anybody had any person experience with Dazzle or recommendations for something similar that is inexpensive.

(The only AV out cord for the camera that I know I have is RCA if that matters)

Thanks for the help.
        Dazzle sucks bawls. Software is dumb and hard to work with. And the picture quality is horrible. Just my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewmadbro? View Post
          Dazzle sucks bawls. Software is dumb and hard to work with. And the picture quality is horrible. Just my experience.
          Yeah I saw it for $26 so that is what I was afraid of. I don't need great quality, but I don't want to bother with it at all if it is going to turn out horrible. Ever run across anything you like better?

Abecx if I did have them converted do you have a suggestion for some decent ripping/editing software?

Comment

Could have had mine for free if you posted this last week. I tossed the Dazzle and all associated BS out with the trash. Biggest POS I've ever tried to use.

Comment

The dazzle will work if you just need a cheap conversion. Downside is you have to play the video as it records, so it takes forever.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I copied from the camcorder to the PC directly, then made the videos and windows movie maker.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

Correction, It's Digital 8. This camera is older than I though.

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  The dazzle will work if you just need a cheap conversion. Downside is you have to play the video as it records, so it takes forever.
                  Really? I remember it taking forever but I though it was the computer we were using. I can do that if I have to but what a pain.

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                  I copied from the camcorder to the PC directly, then made the videos and windows movie maker.

Windows movie maker looks simple and free, my kind of program.

Assuming I have a dv to usb cable, will Windows Movie Maker facilitate the copying of the video or do I need another program?

Comment

Yes you import directly to WMM.

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                      Correction, It's Digital 8. This camera is older than I though.

Really? I remember it taking forever but I though it was the computer we were using. I can do that if I have to but what a pain.

Windows movie maker looks simple and free, my kind of program.

Assuming I have a dv to usb cable, will Windows Movie Maker facilitate the copying of the video or do I need another program?
                      It's just a video input, so it's recording what it's receiving.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Just a thought but if you have a home DVD player/recorder you could hook it up to that and burn it to DVD.

Comment

most places will do like 6 tapes for $20-$30. Its cheappp and it'll be done correctly.

Comment

They'd already be done by now, clear ass quality, and you'd have them on your facebook so all 12 of your friends can laugh at the old times.

Comment

Working...
                            X