Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the road, is aircard best way to get internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the road, is aircard best way to get internet?

I'm going to be staying in my house in Fort Worth which will be vacant as we get ready to sell it. We'll only be there for a week after my tenant moves out and we get it ready to put on the market. We won't have access to the internet but we'll need it for various things. So what is the best way to get access? I figured an air card would be the best option, but which one? Should I go through ATT since I have my phones through them or are there easier ways to get one (ie prepaid, no contract). Thanks.

What phone(s) do yall have?

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

I carry a 4g verizon mifi for my job. I have it in case my cable modem acts up and also use it when I travel or am on call.

I prefer having it as a mobile hotspot vs having an aircard since it lets me have up to 5 devices connected at once.

No idea what it costs though since my employer provides it
      2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
      1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
        What phone(s) do yall have?

Me-Inspire
        Wife-iPhone 4

Comment

Use this if on your phone you're not on an unlimited plan. It will make it a hotspot.
          Web word processing, presentations and spreadsheets

Comment

Use this if on your phone you're not on an unlimited plan. It will make it a hotspot.

Your wording is a little confusing. Are you saying as long as I'm not on an unlimited plan, that download will make my phone a hotspot? Does it use the 3G signal and provide wireless for my computer?

Comment

So does this use data on my plan? I have a pretty small data plan.

Comment

Yes, but if you will upgrade your data plan to the three gig for $30, it will be cheaper than to start a new plan just for an air card or to do pay-as-you-go.

Comment

So I installed the program and tried to get the hotspot to work and got this note: "Wifi mode can not be activated on HTC phones due to an HTC hotspot lock. Please use Bluetooth mode instead".

Comment

I tether my rooted thunderbolt (WiFi Tether) and use my unlimited data on VzW, and that has worked great for me on the road, at no additional cost to my rate plan. That has saved me millions of times. This week, I turned up a customer's BGP session while on an Amtrak train via my tether, because Amtrak's wifi was very slow and unreliable.

There are apps now (FoxFi or something like that) which I gather work on non rooted android phones. Maybe those work well? I know WiFi Tether is tried and true tested!

Make sure you have car or AC power cord connected, this uses battery fast.

--Scott

Comment

So can someone explain this to me more?
                      I have a IPhone and I frequently away from home but need to access my companies VPN to gain access to company resources. So if I can't find a Mcdonalds or Starbucks I can use my phone as a Hotspot to connect my laptop to?

Is there setup on the phone or special add needed?

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
                        So can someone explain this to me more?
                        I have a IPhone and I frequently away from home but need to access my companies VPN to gain access to company resources. So if I can't find a Mcdonalds or Starbucks I can use my phone as a Hotspot to connect my laptop to?

Is there setup on the phone or special add needed?
                        You can allow your provider to rape you without lube and subscribe to a tethering package....or you can jailbreak your Iphone and either download TetherMe or MyWi from Cydia for about 10 bucks and use your Iphone as a USB, Bluetooth, or Wifi hotspot (this is provided you have a data plan or your bill will make you get counseling). Finding a usable wifi signal would be the best option, but if thats not available I would use the phone as a data modem vs. paying for yet ANOTHER cellular based access card. Your phone is MORE than capable of providing the exact same service as an access card (even if its only 2G it will work fine unless your downloading videos and streaming music). I've been doing this for several years with my old Nokia 6820, E70, E75, Iphone 3GS, Iphone 4, and now with my Evo 4G.

Comment

FoxFi doesn't work on Galaxy S2/S3 since Sprint pushed out the 4.0.4 update. They bundled some sort of block on it...crap.

Guess I have to re-root my phone now.

Comment

Working...
                          X