help setting up 2 wireless routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help setting up 2 wireless routers

I am trying to add a wireless router to my network for some bad spots in the house. I can get a cat5 cable from the first router to the second one.

What is the best way to set up the second router to be able to keep it on the same network and be the fastest speeds?

The best thing I can find is a repeater bridge or repeater but those are all wireless.....seems like hardwiring it would help some?

Avoid bridges/repeaters. Just set it up on a different channel. Generally speaking channels 1, 6 and 11 are good.

I'd see if all your neighbors are on 6 (usually default) and put one on 1 and another on 11 or whatever is not being used.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Would an access point do any good? Our neighbors aren't close but the house is fairly long so we have a poor connection in the bedroom (tivo area) from the living room where the current router is. Just trying to find a way to strengthen the signal in the bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by kpc01 View Post
        Would an access point do any good? Our neighbors aren't close but the house is fairly long so we have a poor connection in the bedroom (tivo area) from the living room where the current router is. Just trying to find a way to strengthen the signal in the bedroom.
        An access point will work as it's just a repeater. Like Ceyko said though, just use a different channel on your second router.

If you want to keep it all on the same network, look for some articles online that will guide you through it step by step. I think the key (if I remember correctly from reading some) is to plug the network cable into one of the actual ports (1-4/5) on the second router and not into the WAN port.

Edit: I have a similar problem in my house for the boys upstairs. My oldest has no problems getting a great signal. I took a second router that I had and plugged it from his PC NIC to the router after configuring the router downstairs first. Now, the upstairs router just directs all traffic through his PC WLAN connection back to the main router downstairs.

Comment

Yeah only needs to be an AP...
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Ok...hopefully last question. I have dd wrt on my AP router. I have it set to 192.168.1.2 and my base router set to 192.168.1.1

On my lan settings on the base router should I use the starting lan .1.2 or should I do .1.3

I wasn't sure if it would allow the AP to work if I didn't have it in those settings?

Comment

Originally posted by kpc01 View Post
              Ok...hopefully last question. I have dd wrt on my AP router. I have it set to 192.168.1.2 and my base router set to 192.168.1.1

On my lan settings on the base router should I use the starting lan .1.2 or should I do .1.3

I wasn't sure if it would allow the AP to work if I didn't have it in those settings?

Comment

thanks for the help! finally got it working and it helps out a lot. I had checked to make the wan port a lan but evidently still can't plug the incoming line into it. Its all good now!

Comment

Working...
                X