Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why should I upgrade to Windows 8? Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should I upgrade to Windows 8? Anyone?

I've come to rant, be warned

From reading various blogs,

Proponents are making really weak arguments in the case of upgrading to Windows 8. Normally they all state only three or four things and their first one is always "Metro UI".. My answer to that... Don't Give a ****

One bullet point on one blog was Backwards Compatability. My answer to that is it's not an issue if you don't upgrade in the first place.

I've been looking but I can't find one reason why I should use Windows 8. Heck I use Windows 7 now and there's really not any good reason why I should use it over Windows XP other than they prevent newer versions of DirectX from running on it. Though I bet XP is perfectly capable of running DX10+ if Microsoft allowed it

I did use the 8 preview a couple of months back and promised my computer I'd never do anything like that to her again...or me for that matter. I felt like a 90 year old man using a computer for the first time, even though I've been using Windows since Windows 3.1

The only feature that really caught my eye is the new ReFS file system but it's only available on the server editions. Everything else looks minor. Sure picture passwords are cool but I'm not changing my OS so I can login to my pc by clicking on a fish head.

A couple of things that I noticed were missing.

The Start Button. Yeah I know there are third party addons you can install to get it back. But that's not the point. The point is Microsoft is trying to force change in how we use the desktop. Why should I pay a company to tell me how I should use my own computer?

The Windows Flag. Maybe I overlooked it but I couldn't find the iconic flag anywhere. It may be there, it took me probably 10-15 minutes to find the shutdown button after all. The flag has been a part of windows since as long as I can remember. Now it looks like they've replaced the flag with an origami fish. Actually I don't care about the flag. I just thought it's replacement was rather lame.

For the first time, I'm seriously considering buying a Mac for when I do decide I need an upgraded OS. I've been a Windows and Linux user for several years and with Windows 8 and Gnome 3 they've both disappointed me.

So I highly doubt I'll be putting Windows 8 anywhere near my computer. Which is not a problem until Microsoft and other hardware and software manufacturers stop supporting Windows 7.

In fact, I hope Windows 8 does change computing. I hope it fails and loosens Microsoft's grip on the market, resulting in hardware and software manufacturers supporting other systems like mac and linux.

Prediction:
    2 years from now I'll be running Windows 8 with my foot in my mouth

Sounds like you already know what you wanna do. Why do you feel the need to upgrade anyway? One good reason to migrate away from any system with XP is because in less than 2 years, MS will stop supporting it.

Windows 8 blows for normal PCs. It's designed around tablet computing. Yeah, you can make it like Windows 7, but why? All they are doing with this upgrade for non-touch-screen desktop PCs is change the way you access your files.

Windows Server 8, however, is fucking awesome. The changes to HyperV are amazing.

Stick with Windows 7.

Comment

Some of those points are hilarious. Especially the start button one. You paid to be told how to do it in the first place!
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Ive heard it is a piece. Keep 7
        WRX

Comment

Working...
        X