Build help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    So after a looking around and doing some reading today I think it makes more sense for me to go with the i5 2500k Sandy Bridge processor. It's plenty fast and it'll help keep my over all cost down. I can put more money into a video card if I want.
    Yeah there is nothing wrong with a 2500/K, unless you "need" HT. If you are worried about cost though, keep your eyes open for the Microcenter deals.
    They usually have something like a 2600k for like 229 and 50 dollars off a mobo.

Also, if you aren't planning on building this month; next month should be interesting when the 7950's come out. I'm waiting on tri-fire reviews of the 7970 (waiting on my buddy to get his 3) before I take the plunge. When I do, i'll need to get rid of three 6970's.

Comment

Lason, Roliath, do you guys mind PM'ing me your email addy? I want to forward you a pc i put together on newegg and get some opinions.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
      Originally posted by Denny
      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

done

Comment

Lason, Roliath, do you guys mind PM'ing me your email addy? I want to forward you a pc i put together on newegg and get some opinions.
          i went to sleep rather early last night, but I just sent it now.

Comment

Thanks fellas, just sent the "wishlist" from newegg.
            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Thanks fellas, just sent the "wishlist" from newegg.
              looks good to me!

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                looks good to me!
                My biggest question was that video card... it's only a 1Gb card, is there a better card I could go with for the money?

Comment

Crap I just sent a PM rather than posting here.

Quick rundown, get a 2gb 560Ti instead of the 1gb. Also that mobo is a great board but if you can swing the difference get the ROG line like the gene-z board. Although if not, Im sure you wont ever care. That board should be a great one, I just prefer ROG stuff but Im a tinkerer so I like having all the added options.

Everything else looks solid.

Oh and I just remembered, you need a CPU fan too. Dont roll with the stocker if you can swing it. I would keep the board you got to save $$$ and put it towards a Noctua cpu fan. Not sure if that big sucker will fit in that case though.

Comment

My biggest question was that video card... it's only a 1Gb card, is there a better card I could go with for the money?
                    You can probably find a 6950 for 250 after rebates, or around 270 if you're willing to go that much higher on the GPU.

At 1080p there are but a few games that go over that 1GB vram limit and/or if you like a bunch of eyecandy/aa you can easily eat up that vram.

Comment

Thanks for all the input fellas. It'll be a couple weeks before I make any purchases and I think I'll hit up Micro Center to see if I can't save a little more money. The biggest thing I'm torn between is sticking with my gut instinct and staying with an nVidia card because that's what I've always had and liked. Or taking your advice and going with an ATI/Radeon card.

Comment

Thanks for all the input fellas. It'll be a couple weeks before I make any purchases and I think I'll hit up Micro Center to see if I can't save a little more money. The biggest thing I'm torn between is sticking with my gut instinct and staying with an nVidia card because that's what I've always had and liked. Or taking your advice and going with an ATI/Radeon card.
                        they will pricematch against alot of places. go in with print outs, or make those fools look it up. when they ask you what store, tell them to price match against ALL of the ones they do.

I can't go back to nvidia, since they don't support my lcd setup. And I don't care for 3d (because I like good monitors) nor do I care for physx.

Comment

Read reviews, thats what I did when I was trying to decide. If you read my build thread I had a completely different system picked out with Nvidia cards and Roliath threw his $.02 in there and got me thinking. I read a bunch of reviews and went a different route with AMD cards, closer to what he and TxRedneck suggested.

Comment

Also motoman, check out http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc if you never have. Some pretty good info.

Comment

A while back I sent Roliath, Lason, and TxRedneck a build that I mapped out but I've since lost it... So I'm back to the build and have come up with this. From Newegg it sits at $1012. Now I'm planning on searching the internet to see how much lower I can get these parts, but here's what I've come up with...

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000
                              We’re sorry, but this page does not existing. Please visit our home page for more information.

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3(R2.0) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Comment

A while back I sent Roliath, Lason, and TxRedneck a build that I mapped out but I've since lost it... So I'm back to the build and have come up with this. From Newegg it sits at $1012. Now I'm planning on searching the internet to see how much lower I can get these parts, but here's what I've come up with...

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3(R2.0) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Comment

Working...
                                X