Build help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build help needed.

Budget $1000 (monitor, mouse, keyboard not needed)
    Purpose: Gaming - want a GREAT video card

Processor I want to go with: Intel i7 2600k

Build me the rest with a mid size tower and the best components that'll fit the rest of the budget.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Originally posted by motoman View Post

Build me the rest with a mid size tower and the best components that'll fit the rest of the budget.
    I posted my rig up on the classifieds for $750 You can sell the 5850 and get yourself two 6870s
    First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Don't you reckon that's a lil much for that rig?

Sent from my iPhail eleventybillion

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post

answer these questions

buying online or brick and mortar?
        overclocking or not?
        amd vs nvidia (do you care about physx)?
        what res is your monitor (safe to assume 1080p)?

stay away from p67, get 8gb of ram (or 16gb if budget allows), smallish ssd for boot or just get a sata3 hdd, and than go with a psu that's 80+ bronze minimum. oh and pick your poison when it comes to nvidia/amd.

I'm toying with the idea of building out one of these soon, Shuttle SZ68R5. check it out.

edit: also this is a bit more than your budget, but its a pretttttty nice setup. and might help you with choosing your parts.
        Newegg offers customers an awesome experience shopping for computers, hardware, electronics, networking solutions, and more. Upgrade your shopping experience today!
        Last edited by roliath; 01-04-2012, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
          Don't you reckon that's a lil much for that rig?

I haven't built a computer in 5-6 years, so i'm not up to date with the latest components from the last year or two.

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
          I posted my rig up on the classifieds for $750 You can sell the 5850 and get yourself two 6870s
          I'll take a look

Originally posted by roliath View Post
          answer these questions

buying online or brick and mortar? Whatever will get me the best results
          overclocking or not? Built in OC settings is cool otherwise no biggie
          amd vs nvidia (do you care about physx)? I prefer nVidia
          what res is your monitor (safe to assume 1080p)? Yes, 1080p

stay away from p67, get 8gb of ram (or 16gb if budget allows), smallish ssd for boot or just get a sata3 hdd, and than go with a psu that's 80+ bronze minimum. oh and pick your poison when it comes to nvidia/amd.

That's the little tid bits of info that come in handy.

I'm toying with the idea of building out one of these soon, Shuttle SZ68R5. check it out.

edit: also this is a bit more than your budget, but its a pretttttty nice setup. and might help you with choosing your parts.
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.791304
          I'll take a look at that link right now
          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

ok here ya go.......

Newegg 2600K Asus Gene-Z upgrade kit - $737
            Newegg offers customers an awesome experience shopping for computers, hardware, electronics, networking solutions, and more. Upgrade your shopping experience today!

Beyond that is up to you. Pick you out a case and video card(s). It will get tricky for under $1k though. Personally I would look at maybe a MSI Lightning 6970 for a single video card option now and pick another up later on if needed (youll have to upgrade that PSU if you do add another though Im sure). I am running one of these while my 6990 is being RMA'd and can play on pretty high settings on 3 screens. Super quiet and clocked pretty damn high. Only issue is the stupid bright LED's on the board that light the case up like a christmas tree. I have a piece of electrical tape covering them to fix that though.

MSI 6970 Lightning $389

Comment

Brian suggested I save some money and go with an i5 processor instead of an i7 and put more money into the graphics card. I wanted to see what other people's thoughts on that were and would I be better of getting a better single video card or getting 2?

I'll be running 2 monitors and I'd like to run them both at 1080.

Comment

I see alot of debate on i5 vs i7 for gaming. I dont think you can go wrong with an i5 personally. Especially since your not planning a nice budget build. If you were going with dual 6990's or GTX590's and 3 screens then i7 all the way and you may have to OC that to not see CPU bottlenecking.

On the screens though, have you been gaming with them already? I dont know how you do 2 screens with the line going right down the middle. Personally I would either play with 1 or 3. I like 3 but Im glad I didnt go with anything bigger than the 24" screens I have. Its almost too much to have to look to the sides and when I try putting the screens in portrait its just too tall.

Comment

I haven't been gaming on them and I don't plan to run eyefinity or anything like that. I've been playing EVE and I'll just run a game client on each screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                    On the screens though, have you been gaming with them already? I dont know how you do 2 screens with the line going right down the middle. Personally I would either play with 1 or 3. I like 3 but Im glad I didnt go with anything bigger than the 24" screens I have. Its almost too much to have to look to the sides and when I try putting the screens in portrait its just too tall.
                    Possibly he is gaming like me, I have 2 28" monitors but only game on 1 while having whatever else pulled up on the other screen. I couldn't see how you could play with 2 monitors, wouldn't your cross-hairs be non-existent at that point? lol
                    Your passage to Enlightenment will come from the end of my barrel.

BF3 Stats

The Texan Gamer
                    The Texan Gamer Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by LeXXon View Post
                      Possibly he is gaming like me, I have 2 28" monitors but only game on 1 while having whatever else pulled up on the other screen. I couldn't see how you could play with 2 monitors, wouldn't your cross-hairs be non-existent at that point? lol
                      That's exactly how I'll play.

Comment

Oh ok, I think my sis and bro-in-law game like that too. I havent seen it but she told me they have WoW going on the main screen in landscape and then their inventory and whatever else on the other screen in portrait. I have never tried to set it up like that but I could see that being pretty cool.

Comment

Thoughts on a 2gig 560ti for his application? Anything else is just about over budget presupposing he uses the kit Lason posted?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                            Thoughts on a 2gig 560ti for his application? Anything else is just about over budget presupposing he uses the kit Lason posted?

I'm open to using an i5, I'd like to know if the i7 would last longer.

Comment

The i7 will be more "future proof" but it's also hard to see what your needs will be 18-24 months down the road.

At the same time, unless you're going to be compiling software and or converting/encrypting mass data, i5 should be suffice.

Comment

Working...
                              X