Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will this allow my desktop computer to go wireless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will this allow my desktop computer to go wireless?

I am trying to get my desktop to run via my home's wifi signal. Is this all I need to make it work?

yes but most people stay away from treadnet since they have a tendency to overheat and crap out spend the extra money and get a good one.

Comment

You're better off to just run cat-5 through the wall bro.
      Wanna see my care face???

Comment

Originally posted by Blakeski View Post
        You're better off to just run cat-5 through the wall bro.

If possible. Hard wired is sooo much faster...
        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Hard wired is faster and more secure. If you don't have the option and must go wireless...I personally don't care for the USB wireless cards. I would recommend a PCI (internal) wireless card. You can get them cheap..Dlink, Linksys, Trendnet...Frys used to have em all the time for like $6.99.

Comment

id go hard wired or pci card

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
              Hard wired is faster and more secure. If you don't have the option and must go wireless...I personally don't care for the USB wireless cards. I would recommend a PCI (internal) wireless card. You can get them cheap..Dlink, Linksys, Trendnet...Frys used to have em all the time for like $6.99.
              Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
              id go hard wired or pci card
              how difficult is it to install a PCI card?

Comment

Originally posted by KCHAR View Post
                how difficult is it to install a PCI card?
                VERY simple.. I am a computer baffoon, especially with hardware, and I have done it successfully several times.

The USB type are obviously easier, but...

All you should need to do is take off the cover, remove the metal piece that covers the slot, and slide the card in. I have always just gone to Fry's and picked up the cheapest card they have.

Of course I don't do any gaming or anything like that so haven't really concerned myself with the quality of hardware. The last one I did has been working flawlessly for over 5 years now.

Comment

[QUOTE=KCHAR;522712]how difficult is it to install a PCI card?[/QUOTE

About as easy as changing the air filter on your car. It would be a good time to blow some compressed air thru the case to get the dust out.

Comment

Originally posted by KCHAR View Post
                    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TRENDnet...&skuId=4374739

I am trying to get my desktop to run via my home's wifi signal. Is this all I need to make it work?
                    Yeah and I've had good luck with Trendnet usb stuff. I'd check out newegg.com and see what the reviews are there first for that product.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Do not go with a USB card, it will be slow as can be. Go with a internal PCI card, like many have said, they are super easy to install. Just pop the card in, attach the antennas and load the drivers.

I have a D-link internal card in my old PC and played world of warcraft on it. Very good luck with it, only issue is it would lose signal once in a very long time. Your going to get that with any wireless card though unless you right on top of the router in which case you should hardwire it.

Comment

USB is fine I've using one for 4+ years now while playing WoW and other games with 50-75ms latency.
                        QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

I tried about 4 PCI cards and none of them would get signal. However, the first USB adapter I bought works perfect. USB isn't slow and I play games online with no issues (That may be a distance from wireless). If you do get a PCI, make sure it has an external antenna you can move to the top of your desk.

Comment

Working...
                          X