new power supply = bsod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new power supply = bsod

So, during the storm, power flickered, and I lost my power supply. Scold me later for not running it through an UPS. I put in a 500 w cooler master power supply today. Upon start up, Windows suggested some diagnostic. I did it. As soon as I logged in, I get the blue screen of death. I performed a system restore, and still have the issue. If I leave it on the log on screen for 1 minute, it will go BSOD. I can log in, but it will go to BSOD shortly after. It will start and run in safe mode. It was turned on when the power flickered.

Please, any suggestions?

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Run chkdsk a bunch of times, and see if it finds an error on the HD. If its not much work go return the PSU and see if you got a bad one.

Comment

Start pulling sticks of ram out and using different slots. See if you can isolate it to a bad stick and/or slot. Make sure to check all of your connections from the PSU as well.
      How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
        Run chkdsk a bunch of times, and see if it finds an error on the HD. If its not much work go return the PSU and see if you got a bad one.
        I started Windows in safemode. I right clicked on c drive went to properties, and attempted to run chkdsk. It said "cannot run while disk is in use". i tried to schedule it upon next startup and it didn't happen

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
        Start pulling sticks of ram out and using different slots. See if you can isolate it to a bad stick and/or slot. Make sure to check all of your connections from the PSU as well.
        Done. No dice.
        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

sounds familiar to a problem i was having. It turned out to be the RAM went bad. Geof has a good suggestion for trying to isolate the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
            sounds familiar to a problem i was having. It turned out to be the RAM went bad. Geof has a good suggestion for trying to isolate the issue.
            I have four 2gb sticks. Pulled one, started replaced. Pulled another, started replaced. Pulled two at once, started, replaced. No fix.
            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

That's got to be frustrating. I'll go through some of my old posts here on this forum to see how close my problem was to yours.

Comment

If it'll stay running in safemode, download and run the Norton Removal Tool and uninstall Norton then restart normally.

The SRTSPL64.sys is a Norton driver that was corrupted in the improper power down. If it boots and runs properly afterwards, reinstall Norton and take that PSU back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                  If it'll stay running in safemode, download and run the Norton Removal Tool and uninstall Norton then restart normally.

The SRTSPL64.sys is a Norton driver that was corrupted in the improper power down. If it boots and runs properly afterwards, reinstall Norton and take that PSU back.
                  I couldnt use FireFox while in safe mode, how can I download this?
                  Also, why would I return the power supply? It wouldn't even turn on with the old psu, it wqs completly dead.
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

When you pulled the sticks, did you always utilize one of the slots you had used previously? Basically, you would want to utilize one stick in all four slots, then repeat. With a power hit, it could be either/or.
                    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

I failed to stipulate Safemode w/ Networling to be able to get on the net, my fault. I mentioned about the PSU because you hadn't stated whether or not it would do anything w/ the old one so I assumed...

If you're using a smartphone to post, dl the file w/ it and xfer the file via the sd card if SM w/ networking won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                        I failed to stipulate Safemode w/ Networling to be able to get on the net, my fault. I mentioned about the PSU because you hadn't stated whether or not it would do anything w/ the old one so I assumed...

If you're using a smartphone to post, dl the file w/ it and xfer the file via the sd card if SM w/ networking won't work.
                        Thank you. No need to apologize for my ignorance. I will try this in the am. I need to do trig homework on my pc, as well as team fortress my ass off.
                        I am indeed posting from my Droid. Thank you for advice so far. I will update.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

I downloaded the norton removal tool (how'd you know I had norton? Its actually "symantec endpoint protection")
                            I attempted to run the removal tool, and it I was prompted with a screen that said this:
                            The Following programs were found on this computer. They must be removed through add/remove programs before Norton Removal tool can proceed
                            Symantec Antivirus 9 or later.

So, I go to control panel, and attempt to uninstall, and I'm prompted with this message:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"
                            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I downloaded the norton removal tool (how'd you know I had norton? Its actually "symantec endpoint protection")
                              I attempted to run the removal tool, and it I was prompted with a screen that said this:
                              The Following programs were found on this computer. They must be removed through add/remove programs before Norton Removal tool can proceed
                              Symantec Antivirus 9 or later.

So, I go to control panel, and attempt to uninstall, and I'm prompted with this message:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"
                              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                              X