No announcement yet.

Doing first spring triathlon, any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing first spring triathlon, any tips?

About to sign up for the sprint triathlon in the Woodlands in May, any tips for a newbie? Any training suggestions would be welcomed as well.
    Last edited by no4njnk; 01-23-2012, 06:53 AM.

Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
    About to sign up for the spring triathlon in the Woodlands in May, any tips for a newbie? Any training suggestions would be welcomed as well.
    I'm no veteran to them, but I've done a few of the "sprint" tri's here in the Dallas area. Which length events are you wanting to do? You'll need a Tri license for each event, and it's cheaper to buy the annual pass. They will charge you $10 per event for a temporary pass, and I think the annual pass is $30 or so. Swimming is my worst event. I joined an LA Fitness by me that has a pool and I swim a mile 2/3 times a week. I go to church with a high school swim coach, and she helped me a lot. I cycled off and on for the last 20+ years, so that's not a problem, and I ride 3 times a week. I run 4.25 miles 3 times a week.

Comment

Stupid spell check, yes sprint triathlon.

Comment

just make sure you add bricks to your training especially bike/run. you will have to get used to running after the bike, the lactic acid build up makes you feel like your legs are jelly and wont move. also if youre using bike shoes get you some bungee laces for your running shoes and get used to slipping them on standing up. and make sure you have all your stuff together for your transitions, would really suck to get to an event and forget something

Comment

Originally posted by jfrog View Post
          just make sure you add bricks to your training especially bike/run. you will have to get used to running after the bike, the lactic acid build up makes you feel like your legs are jelly and wont move. also if youre using bike shoes get you some bungee laces for your running shoes and get used to slipping them on standing up. and make sure you have all your stuff together for your transitions, would really suck to get to an event and forget something
          Very true. I got my trans times down pretty easily with practice. On brick days, I lay everything out in the driveway exactly how I do it in the Tri's, and it worked out great. In Denton, my #1 Trans was BAD (from the pool to the bike), and from bike to run was better. In Keller (2 weeks of practice later), I went to under a minute, and you had to run 50-60 yards to hit the timing mat. If an old guy like me can do that, then anybody can if they practice it.

I only have problems the first few hundred yards of the run, but everyone's different.

Comment

If you're a newbie, I'm guessing you're more looking to finish than place high. I was training for a spring a while back but wasn't able to make it to it. Swimming was the thing that killed me. Then again, I'm a survival swimmer. I have shitty form. I would get about 300 meters and just be completely exhausted. However with cycling and running, I would do an hour long cycle class then be able to easily run three miles after a class as long as I made sure to stay hydrated during the cycle class.

Good luck man!
            "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I am too competitive so I have to decide what I want to do as far as finish vs speed. I used to run a sub 5 minute mile but that was over 10 years ago. Distance wise I am faster at breaststroke so I need to work on my freestyle. I figured during the week I can do a spin class then run and during the weekends actually get out on my bike if I can find a good area.

Comment

Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
                I am too competitive so I have to decide what I want to do as far as finish vs speed. I used to run a sub 5 minute mile but that was over 10 years ago. Distance wise I am faster at breaststroke so I need to work on my freestyle. I figured during the week I can do a spin class then run and during the weekends actually get out on my bike if I can find a good area.
                I've cycled for years, ran some over the years, but never swam. It was a killer for me. Narrow lanes with people all around was nerve wracking the first time. I've never run a 5-minute mile in my life, but that kind of speed over a 5k will definitely help your time. I don't know your age, but younger guys are running in the 5's, swimming in the 4's (300 meters) and cycling in the 22-24mph area. Sub-1 hour times will win it. That's really fast, with near perfect transitions. I placed 3rd in my class (50+) in one of them, and was not even close to the 2nd place guy.

Comment

Working...
                X