started basic 3x5 workout today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started basic 3x5 workout today...

ive been eating right for about a bit now and been playing a lot of soccer and softball but decided to get serious about getting in shape again. for the past two weeks ive been doing cardio 3x a week at the gym just to get used to going back up there and today started rippetoes 3x5 workout. trying to lose weight and get back to the strength i used to have. ive read lots of success stories from people losing weight with this even though its designed for strength.

has anyone had success with this and what can i expect out of it for the first couple of weeks? the workout didn't seem too hard tonight but i realize it gets harder pretty quick. any indeas on things to incorporate with this would be appreciated. wanting to drop about 25-40lbs and have been on a 1900cal diet. before working out i lost 18lbs just by diet alone for a two month span. also any protein recommendations?

a - day
    3x5 squat
    3x5 bench
    1x5 deadlift

b - day
    3x5 squad
    3x5 dips
    3xfailure chinups

starts at 70% max and goes up 5lbs every workout until you cant get it anymore then restart.

thanks!

It's a really good program, especially if you are just starting out in resistance training. It focuses on compound movements to build total body strength as opposed to isolating muscles. Focus on your form when starting out. Make sure your deadlifts and squats are squared away.

The only problem I found with it is it got boring pretty quick. But I rarely stick with one workout long as I tend to get bored.

Comment

Yeah I got through it a lot quicker than I was thinking tonight though I can feel it. Hopefully it'll jumpstart me to get back into working out. When I was prepping for college and playing in college I loved getting in the gym. Id like to get back into that mind frame...

Comment

You should check out Wendler's 5-3-1 program after you finish. It's excellent for straight line strength.
        www.crossfit.com

Comment

First of all, good job getting back in the gym. However, if you're looking to get "in shape"...doesn't sound like a great program. 5 reps is nothing for overall fitness. If you're looking to get in shape quickly, circuit training is where it's at. You just have to know how to do it. PM me if you want a good starter program. It's not easy, but it works.
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
            First of all, good job getting back in the gym. However, if you're looking to get "in shape"...doesn't sound like a great program. 5 reps is nothing for overall fitness. If you're looking to get in shape quickly, circuit training is where it's at. You just have to know how to do it. PM me if you want a good starter program. It's not easy, but it works.
            I've been on a 5x5 program with 2 crossfit workouts a week and 2 long distance runs a week (to stay in running shape for the APFT) for a while that has worked great for me.

The Rippetoe 3x5 progression is good as it increases weight fairly quickly and loads the muscles very well. It's designed as a "starting strength" type program. Don't get wrapped too far around the rep counting axle, as long as the muscles are being loaded with enough weight, you'll see growth.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
              I've been on a 5x5 program with 2 crossfit workouts a week and 2 long distance runs a week (to stay in running shape for the APFT) for a while that has worked great for me.

The Rippetoe 3x5 progression is good as it increases weight fairly quickly and loads the muscles very well. It's designed as a "starting strength" type program. Don't get wrapped too far around the rep counting axle, as long as the muscles are being loaded with enough weight, you'll see growth.
              Good. So you're doing other workouts as well? I'm just saying that the program that he posted is not a good program. You'll increase the weight that you're lifting with pretty much any program if you're coming from nothing. Low rep sets are not how you get in shape.
              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                Good. So you're doing other workouts as well? I'm just saying that the program that he posted is not a good program. You'll increase the weight that you're lifting with pretty much any program if you're coming from nothing. Low rep sets are not how you get in shape.
                Well, that depends on what you consider "in shape"...it's a very diverse term. For example, I don't think a marathon runner is in good shape...but he'd definitely crush me on a distance run.

If you want to increase your burst strength, low reps are a great way to do it. The reason I add other workouts is because I need strength, speed, and endurance to do my job.

Mark Rippetoe knows his shit and has gotten great results with his atheletes. Just take a cursory look around bodybuilding.com and you'll see many success stories of this workout. It's called starting strength for a reason, it's for someone starting up (for a first time or after a long break). It focuses on compound movements to build a sturdy base for more advanced workouts once past the beginner level.

Hell, a large portion of the WS4SB program is also about real low rep lifts to increase burst strength. That program has had some great results.

Jewoozy, you need to clearly define your goals here. While almost any gym time is good time, you can do it more efficiently. You're on a low calorie diet while starting strength is typically a bulking workout.
                Last edited by exlude; 12-10-2011, 03:18 AM.

Comment

While bulking would be good at some point the goal right now is just to get back in the swing of things and lose some weight. And even by losing weight its not just in lbs but just looking and feeling better I suppose. I just plan to do this workout about a month and a half then move into a more extensive workout.

The workout posted is the basic workout. I also do abs, curls, and calf workouts as well. In addition i do cardio and racquet ball too. On weekends I play soccer and softball.

Comment

Working...
                  X