No announcement yet.

bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the Smith made it easier to get accustomed to heavier weight. I've increased my bench pretty significantly in a short amount of time working the Smith in every 3rd-ish bench workout. I have noticed that my shoulders are more sore than after a free weight bench workout.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
      I thought the Smith made it easier to get accustomed to heavier weight. I've increased my bench pretty significantly in a short amount of time working the Smith in every 3rd-ish bench workout. I have noticed that my shoulders are more sore than after a free weight bench workout.
      Perhaps because you are not using the entire muscle group used when doing regular bench. When pressing on such a one dimensional path only certain muscles are used and will put more demand on them. That's the way I see it anyway. You can increase strength by leaving the Smith machine out of your routine IMO.

Comment

I've never been a fan of Smith for bench.

Sure, it makes it look like you can do more weight because of the counterbalance weights.

To gain strength, I've used pauses or the rack.

I use the rack to put on more than I can bench and then press the weight up from a pinned bottom.

Or, put on the weight you can do, and set the pins to about 5 inches above the bottom and try to press the weight through the pins.

Comment

I use a smith machine at home all the time. Mine moves at a angled plane,from your chest to over your eys. It is not just a straight vertical push. It also does not have any counter weights. I thought originally I was doing more weight because it was easier on the Smith Machine, like alot of people have said. What I found was the bar is 20lbs lighter than a standard Olympic bar. So before I begin any workouts I add 20lbs to the bar and this made a big difference. My max decreased significantly, along with my reps.

So check the bars weight on the machine your using. I also have a history of torn rotator cuffs from years of basketball, and the only time I feel stress on them, is when I and doing incline presses, and I work heavy exclusively.
          JamesB Chassis is looking for a fabricator/general shop help, call or PM for info.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
            There is all kinds of talk about the restricted range of motion putting more stress on your muscles and joints because the weight is not evenly distributed like it is during natural range of motion. I dunno how true it is. I've never known anyone to be injured by one. I used one for awhile, but did not like the fact that I became dependent of it and when I moved to a regular bench I found out just how weak I was. IMO it's denying the body what is needed for true range of motion.
            As stated, if you don't have a spotter, increase weight and decrease reps especially if you are looking for strength.
            I am a big fan of dumbells also because of prior shoulder injuries using bars of any type. However I believe the reason I hurt my shoulders for regular press was poor form. I had a PT one time tell me I needed to bring my elbows in just a tad instead of being directly straight across. I havent injured it since and that was 8 years ago or so.

Any of you pros wanna shed some light on form for propper benching and the depth of stroke? I have heard many things over the years.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
              I am a big fan of dumbells also because of prior shoulder injuries using bars of any type. However I believe the reason I hurt my shoulders for regular press was poor form. I had a PT one time tell me I needed to bring my elbows in just a tad instead of being directly straight across. I havent injured it since and that was 8 years ago or so.

Any of you pros wanna shed some light on form for propper benching and the depth of stroke? I have heard many things over the years.
              I take more of a power lifting form on bench (that is how I learned to lift), so I plant my feet up behind, butt on the bench, back slightly arched, roll onto my back/shoulders, arms decently tucked in. This form has kept me injury free from benching, you'll know if you have it right because it feels incredibly stable (at least to me it does). Always stay super tight and never lose the tightness especially when it starts getting super hard (like kicking your feet around or other none-sense).

Comment

Working...
              X