Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not bad for garage porting I say? (Cyl. Heads)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not bad for garage porting I say? (Cyl. Heads)

My brother out in CA sent me these two pics of some stock casting LS1 heads that he decided to mess around with. Not bad I say for some garage porting. I just dont seem to have the patience to do this.
    A little dirty but besides that, I think they look good.

when it comes to porting, eyeballs lie. you need tools to measure things inside the port
    pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
      when it comes to porting, eyeballs lie. you need tools to measure things inside the port
      Truth be told. I mean it looks alright, but how they it perform is a completely, on the opposite side of the continent, type question.

Comment

Maybe is just the pics but it looks a little rough.

Comment

first time porting?

Comment

Originally posted by Racewerx View Post
            I don't know those heads, is that an intake or exhaust port?

Comment

First looks like intake.
              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Not his first, he has done some LT1 head in the past, 1st pic intake, 2nd exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Racewerx View Post
                  Do you think an intake port needs to be smooth?

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                    Good question.

I've read that "polishing" intake ports to a shine (in most race applications) can inhibit proper atomization and can also cause beading of the fuel which leads to a rich burn condition.

David

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                      Porting takes skill and practice. Most beginners dive into a porting project without really knowing what they are doing and almost inevitably bite off more than they can chew.That can Result in disappointment and a set of half-finished or half-ruined heads. I have had heads ported by professionals and I have done some myself. Both had mixed results. The pic shown here is not good enough for me to tell if its a good job or a bad job as I stated.
                      As for the intake being smooth as in polished I say no that will affect fuel flow the wrong way (rich) I believe. But I would grind down rough edges and the pic I see here looks ok maybe just a little rough for my taste.

Comment

there are so many variables and factors based on seat diameter and distance off the seat that you go down to a certain percentage of seat diameter to create velocity. I don't know all the formulas for creating correct port shape, buy your own superflow and the math comes with it in the owners manual. There is waaaaaay more to porting than grinding shit. Porting is a necessary evil based on target hp you plan to make. here is one of the most basic formula's (peak flow@25" x .27 = total potential hp), under ideal circumstances. Yet again, lots of variables, compression, piston speed, camshaft etc.
                        pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Working...
                        X