Texas Mile Corvette Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
    BTW, I'd be pissed at that wheel maker....unless it was something else that caused it.
    They were repro wheels that had been widened.
    14 Raptor
    18 GT350

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
      I saw this last week on Stangnet from friends that went and its simply amazing he was ok after seeing the wreckage.
      Gotta say, Vetts are pretty well built cars.
      Probably had a little to do with the roll cage. I have heard that they're pretty good in a wreck though from a couple of firefighters that have been called out to wrecks.
      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        It's amazing that it flipped at that speed, and ended up wheels down after only one turn.
        that was the first that i thought of too. most likely any other car with a higher center of gravity would have barrel rolled.
        95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

Comment

Didn't see the cage, thought it just had a 6-point roll bar...... which would make a difference. Still impressed he walked away. I couldn't imagine going into a spin at that speed. Id be so embarrassed when the safety workers showed cause my shorts would be full. LOL
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Didn't see the cage, thought it just had a 6-point roll bar...... which would make a difference. Still impressed he walked away. I couldn't imagine going into a spin at that speed. Id be so embarrassed when the safety workers showed cause my shorts would be full. LOL
            You probably more accurately described it as a "roll bar." That's gonna make all the difference though if he's strapped in tight. Also that he only rolled once, instead of tumbling like most other cars would've.

Comment

Yeah, seems that Lambo flipped much more when he wrecked last year.
              Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

The current issue is tires. My friends that went were talking about how Hoosier (sp?) and MT were telling the fast cars that they dont reccomend the tires for that speed duration. MT was heard saying to replace the tires every 3-4 runs or the tire would seperate.
                While there are a couple tires that can handle the speed, they cant hook like the DRs can so the cars cant hook up for them record runs.
                I went back in 09 and it seemed like most of the faster cars were on a Goodyear of some type. They didn't seem to have any traction issues. It's not a drag race, they shouldn't be trying to use drag race tires.

I did think it was funny that there were some guys out there in drag cars, launching like it was only a quarter mile run and then wondering why they were out of pull at the half mile mark. But, being the troopers they are, they bounced off that rev limiter (to the tune of a painful screaming engine) for another half mile.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                  I went back in 09 and it seemed like most of the faster cars were on a Goodyear of some type. They didn't seem to have any traction issues. It's not a drag race, they shouldn't be trying to use drag race tires.

I did think it was funny that there were some guys out there in drag cars, launching like it was only a quarter mile run and then wondering why they were out of pull at the half mile mark. But, being the troopers they are, they bounced off that rev limiter (to the tune of a painful screaming engine) for another half mile.
                  Isn't the point of that race to hit 200mph? How many drag cars are geared to go that fast? I know my cousins husband has a 4 second car (1/8 mile) and he himself said, racing a 1/4 mile is pointless for him. They're hitting 160+ by the end of the 1/8th and it only has 2 gears.

Has anybody had a Veyron out there before driving it into a lake? I'd like to see what it could do in a mile run.

Comment

It's not really a race, but if you break 200 you get a T-shirt. The point is to go as fast as possible.

I know drag cars aren't geared to sustain the distance. It doesn't stop them. That's what makes it funny to watch them try. And last I checked it was ~$400 to enter to run, plus your travel, fuel ,and parts $$$.

Comment

Damn, that car stopped in a relatively short distance considering it was going 230+.

I'm sure the wheel broke, or something like it - that car was going along fine before it did the insta-turn.

Comment

Less time jacking off at the dyno and more time researching an aero package from somewhere that knows WTF they are doing. And made in china cast repo wheels for a car that's approaching 200mph? Really? Well no shit it might blow up on you.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                          Has anybody had a Veyron out there before driving it into a lake? I'd like to see what it could do in a mile run.
                          From other tests in Europe, the Veyron runs about 205 in a standing mile.
                          14 Raptor
                          18 GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post

Tires are going to be an issue IMO. Not many tires that fit on a street car are going to be safe at the speeds the fastest guys are going. 250+mph is A LOT of centrifugal force.

I've been wondering what salt-flat guys use. People have had heavy cars sustaining much higher speeds for longer periods of time for years.

As far as traction goes the most powerful rwd cars are pushing 1500rwhp. That seems like a lot to put down for a regular radial. A mile is long, but surely a car like that gets loose deep into the triple digits if on your standard radial when trying to push it. Not the same as having miles to get up to speed like Bonneville.

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                            Isn't the point of that race to hit 200mph? How many drag cars are geared to go that fast? I know my cousins husband has a 4 second car (1/8 mile) and he himself said, racing a 1/4 mile is pointless for him. They're hitting 160+ by the end of the 1/8th and it only has 2 gears.

Veyrons would be an "also ran" at the mile.

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                            Less time jacking off at the dyno and more time researching an aero package from somewhere that knows WTF they are doing. And made in china cast repo wheels for a car that's approaching 200mph? Really? Well no shit it might blow up on you.
                            I'm really surprised there hasn't been some cross-over from the salt flat types. It's not like going 250mph is anything new to that crowd.
                            US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

wow...

Comment

If you watch the video closely the wreck was definitely caused by a wheel or tire failure on the left rear. The left rear blows or breaks and sends the car sliding to the left since the right still has traction and the left does not. You can see as the car begins to roll the left rear quarter is blown apart already. It was obviously a wheel or tire failure.

The video doesn't lie. It's also not like I've ever investigated a few car wrecks or anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X