Cake thread for the new forum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cake thread for the new forum!

I've found a lady I met when working at a commercial bakery who has agreed to let me use the kitchen in her restaurant. I did this one this weekend for a first birthday. 1/2 sheet marble cake. Buttercream with fondant decorations. I went to hobby lobby to pick up an airbrush and found the Iwata Neo for $60. Got it home and it had paint in it. I was left with no choice but to use the canned spray colors. Two tone pink with leopard print, purple center. The bottom border is rolled fondant, brushed with a mix of purple gel paste, silver luster dust, and orange extract. The top pearls are again, rolled fondant, brushed with white luster dust mixed with orange extract, same with the 1 it was cut from fondant.

Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Some issues with the icing still, still trying to find a good consistency to prevent the areas with crumbs and the gaps.

I also found some more that I did while at Wal Mart a few years ago. I'll post them up after I get them uploaded
    Last edited by black2002ls; 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Do you freeze the cake before icing it? My wife does that and she makes some pretty cool cakes.

Comment

My normal routine is a 3 day regime. Icing on day one. Bake the cake on day two. Let it sit for a bit to get to room temp, then I'll put it in the fridge over night and decorate the next morning/night depending on my schedule. This was my first 1/2 sheet to bake and decorate. I think it needed to bake a bit longer to crust on the edges a bit more. I also use an "icing tip" to spread the icing then smooth. However, I had run out of large bags to ice with. The 2" tip normally guarantees a flat uncontaminated surface.

I also wish I had an airbrush available so I could have outlined the leopard spots with a darker pink. My next two investments will be an airbrush (already have an iwata compressor), and one of the large 6.5 qt kitchen aid mixers. I'm currently doing it by hand.....

Comment

My wife made this cake for my sons bday a few months ago. She left the icing rough, and focused more on the trees and dinos. I think it looks great, not bad for her first time doing 3D work with fondant.

Comment

Wow both cakes look great. Love the 3d on the second one.
            2007 Silverado CC
            1970 Mustang Coupe

True Street Motorsports. 972-542-9886

Comment

You guys are good at making caking
              Last edited by 01yz2nv; 03-14-2011, 09:48 AM.
              "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
              http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
              Factory Five MK4 Cobra
              Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
              http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
              www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
              sigpic

Comment

here's a couple I did a while back

I no longer make these BTW

Comment

making caking!
                  Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                  Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I remember those from Canada! Good stuff! Here are a couple more

The ninja was done in about 3 hours. It was for a good friend from High School and the part was moved up a week and It was done last minute. I set it up so that the back of the head (the cake) sat in a relief on in the board to make transport easier. The "body" is simply a board covered in fondant. The swords are rice crispy treat, coated in white chocolate to smooth them, and covered in fondant and painted.

Comment

This one was done this weekend. A pink "poodle" for a second birthday party. 100% edible.

Comment

I wish I could tap into the clientele that allows me to start doing cakes like Clockworks! My airbrush is coming this week, I've done all of the painting thus far with wilton canned sprays, and it shows with the inconsistency of coverage. Iwata revolution should clear that up! Hopefully I will make it by cake carousel this week for some airbrush colors and new goodies

Comment

This is not about the cakes at all.

Lmao at the pictures with the wife and the mixer. The gun and fishing pole is funny as well.

Comment

Looking at clockworks cakes, then looking at mine......WOW.....makes me look like an amateur

Comment

Cwo has making caking skills mad!!
                              Originally posted by talisman
                              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                              Originally posted by AdamLX
                              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              Because fuck you, that's why
                              Originally posted by 80coupe
                              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                              Originally posted by Rick Modena
                              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                              Originally posted by Jester
                              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Working...
                              X