No announcement yet.

Vintage auto racing crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single loop low roll bar, No fuel cell, no fire retardant suit. Easy to see why they thought they had a better chance to survive a wreck by getting tossed out. You could always tell a early sprint/dirt car driver by his "Popeye"forearms.

Bill
    Last edited by 68RR; 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM.
    Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      In a convertible you're boned if it starts rolling, strapped in or not. I don't think there is an upside to either option.
      There was a photo sequence on the HAMB about 5 years ago of a couple driving back from one of those rod runs or whatever. They got hit in their t-bucket with no seatbelts...the car rolled but they walked-away when they were thrown from the car. They were really singing the praises of having no seatbelts in the car after that. Not sure what my stance is, but it was a real-world incident that had me thinking!

Comment

3:06 holy shit was that guy lucky. As for the rest of it, those people were tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph Tang View Post
          I just went out to the shop and hugged my rollcage.

great video.
          this!

Comment

fuck ALL of that shit!

There's a lot of dead mofo's in those scenes.

FWIW, the dude in the fire might have made it out, looks like he might have jumped over the wall? (I'm sure he's still charred pretty good though)

Comment

it took awhile for things to get better, local boy doing it wrong....

Gordon Smiley is killed in a practice crash during the qualifyings warmup lap for the Indy 500 1982. He was countersteering a slide in turn 3 and put the car...
              Last edited by Grape; 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM.
              pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                There was a photo sequence on the HAMB about 5 years ago of a couple driving back from one of those rod runs or whatever. They got hit in their t-bucket with no seatbelts...the car rolled but they walked-away when they were thrown from the car. They were really singing the praises of having no seatbelts in the car after that. Not sure what my stance is, but it was a real-world incident that had me thinking!

I actually remember reading that! Car was completely wasted if I remember correctly.

Comment

Balls of steel

Comment

wow....just wow. I couldn't imagine the injuries from those crashes
                    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it's in English thank a soldier.

Comment

Comment

"John Surtees drives his F1 Lotus up University Avenue heading towards the raceway for the 1960 U.S. Grand Prix."

Comment

Working...
                        X