1970 351c 4v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 351c 4v

I recently picked up an all original 1970 High compression 351C 4V and thought I would share. It has been sitting behind a friend's shed for years and is in terrible shape, but it was interesting to see a complete engine from air cleaner to oil pan that is so original. Here are some pics:

All I get off the engine code (D0AE-G) is 1970, generic ford, 2 bolt mains. I'm thinking of doing the machine work, buying some pistons and putting it back together.

Comment

Nice find! It's pretty desireable, Jimbo. '70 was the first year for the cleveland, and not too common. It might be expensive to put together, and finding parts will be a little tougher. If you decide to build it, there are good guide's for oiling and machining mods that will really improve it over original.

Comment

Parts are not that hard to find. The first thing I would do is make sure the block can be saved. Have the heads magnafluxed before spending any money on them. The date codes are in my picture. It's always interesting to see when they were cast. You have the closed chamber 4V heads with the huge ports. IMO those are the most desirable heads even though they were lazy at low rpm's. Port plates can improve low end hp. If the heads check out to be ok, throw the old valves out and go with one peice stainless valves. The stock valves have the four grove stems that tended to come apart at rpm. You can spend a bunch of money getting new guides, springs, retainers,valve job etc.
        If your not going to run the engine everyday skip the hardened seats on the exhaust. Be careful on the pistons you choose for compression ratio. There are hypertectic pistons available if you don't plan on nitrous. Go with forged pistons if your going to use a power adder. If the heads and block are ok, then the machine work you would have to have is not any more money than any other Ford V-8. Ebay is a good source for many Cleveland parts.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys.
          Those are some nice looking pieces, tkblkcobra. My heads dont seem to have the date casting yours do but the block has 9H13 near the D0AE code. I will have the block and heads vatted and checked before I do anything, I just wanted to pull it apart to see if it even looked salvagable, and it does.

Comment

Clevelands are fun, and they dont sound like anything else on the street. A lot of engine builders are skeptical, but there are quite a few 8 second Cleveland based cars in Australia. Just because an engine builder doesn't want to go past JEGS or Summit for parts; well, don't let it get you down.

Comment

9H13 means it was cast on August 13th, 1969. Probably early production 1970

Comment

Originally posted by eastsidetorino View Post
                Clevelands are fun, and they dont sound like anything else on the street. A lot of engine builders are skeptical, but there are quite a few 8 second Cleveland based cars in Australia. Just because an engine builder doesn't want to go past JEGS or Summit for parts; well, don't let it get you down.
                I don't think I'm going to bother with building it for power. I have too many other user friendly plans for engine builds.
                I am thinking of putting this one back together with all of its original pieces. The parts have managed to stay together for over 40 years already. I will obviously add new pistons, arp bolts and such, and possibly aftermarket cam and springs. I think this one is more interesting intact.

Comment

So, I've been thinking about selling my 351c, any of you experts have any ideas what it would be worth?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                    So, I've been thinking about selling my 351c, any of you experts have any ideas what it would be worth?
                    been trying to sell one and some 4v heads for a good year now so apparently not...good luck!

Comment

been trying to sell one and some 4v heads for a good year now so apparently not...good luck!

Comment

Both of the sellers in here shoot me a PM. My set of 4v heads were cracked. Theres a guy on craigslist doing one for 500 but he's slow to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue88Coupe View Post
                          Both of the sellers in here shoot me a PM. My set of 4v heads were cracked. Theres a guy on craigslist doing one for 500 but he's slow to respond.
                          What exactly are you looking for?

I know where an "X" block, 4 bolt main, forged crank (I believe with stud girdle) and some worked heads are. I believe he also has a set of aftermarket heads too.

LMK if you are interested, but it would be more than these other guys are asking, for sure.

David

Comment

I know a guy up in gainesville with 6 sets of 4v cc heads

100 bucks a pair...I picked one up
                            Full time ninja editor.

Comment

I don't think I'm going to bother with building it for power. I have too many other user friendly plans for engine builds.
                              I am thinking of putting this one back together with all of its original pieces. The parts have managed to stay together for over 40 years already. I will obviously add new pistons, arp bolts and such, and possibly aftermarket cam and springs. I think this one is more interesting intact.
                              This right here.
                              Waaay too many people say This engine is weak or That engine won't hold up or whatever. Problem is, this is referring to racing and these engines/parts are pushed past limits they were never designed for.
                              Build that 351 Cleveland, put it in a nice car and drive it.

Comment

Working...
                              X