F16 Deadstick landing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F16 Deadstick landing....

This is an older video, but I don't recall ever seeing it before....the pilot is one cool-headed dude! His is the calmest voice throughout the entire sequence.

70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Nerves of steel during a high "pucker factor" moment....

10 to 1 he's done some "engine out" landings in a sim, but nothing compares to when it happens at 9,000 feet.... it's all about the training....
    (and a little luck never hurts)

Comment

that was awesome. props to the pilot for staying so calm.
      2007 Silverado CC
      1970 Mustang Coupe

True Street Motorsports. 972-542-9886

Comment

Why do they call it "dead stick" when the stick works just fine as evidenced by the manuevering in the video.

His engines were dead, but the stick seemed to work.

Comment

The F-16 is fly-by-wire. There's no cabling or pulleys between the stick and flight control surfaces. The Flight Controls computer and associated boxes have to be powered and operating to sense pilot inputs on the stick and to commands the hydraulics to move the flaps/ailerons. I'm pretty sure all that is battery backed.
          Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
            The F-16 is fly-by-wire. There's no cabling or pulleys between the stick and flight control surfaces. The Flight Controls computer and associated boxes have to be powered and operating to sense pilot inputs on the stick and to commands the hydraulics to move the flaps/ailerons. I'm pretty sure all that is battery backed.
            ^^^CLOSE^^^

APU- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_power_unit

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
              Close...EPU

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                The F-16 uses a Hydarzine-fueled EPU (Emergency Power Unit) to provide nearly instantaneous backup electrical and hydraulic power. Normally, the engine accessory gearbox drives a starter/generator and two hydraulic pumps, and there is a 4-battery power supply that keeps the avionics alive until the EPU is up to speed, which usually takes just 2 or 3 seconds. The EPU is started automatically in the event of a loss of electrical or hydraulic power. The engine could still be running, but the drive to the accessory gearbox can fail independantly.

Hydrazine is used to because it allows the EPU to start quick enough to maintain control of the aircraft. Remember this is a fly-by-wire aircraft with hydraulic-powered flight control surfaces. A typical APU could take up to 30 seconds or more to activate, and is heavier and bulkier than an APU. The big downside is that Hydrazine is very toxic (causes cancer) so the aircraft must be handled carefully after the activation of the EPU.

Eric

Comment

Just reading all the comments after the video is pretty exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                    Close...EPU
                    Good catch....

Still thinking of 60's designed F-14s... God I'm old....

Last edited by Gargamel; 02-18-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
                      Good catch....

God I'm old....
                      Shit, so am i.

Comment

Originally posted by txblu View Post
                        The big downside is that Hydrazine is very toxic (causes cancer) so the aircraft must be handled carefully after the activation of the EPU.
                        Funny, If you listen at the end of the video, they speak about the Hydrazine risk and need for Fire support....

Comment

Considering the glide ratio of most jets, that's a masterful bit of airmanship. FBW, FTW.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Yea the 16 don't glide so well with no thrust...

Comment

I like how ATC was being such a cheerleader throughout as if the pilot was was anything other than calm, cool, and collective. ATC seemed to be the more nervous of the two in that predicament. Good to see the pilot wasn't fazed by the engine trouble, likely due to all the training he had in handling situations just like that, and safely landed without further incident.

Comment

Working...
                              X