Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
    Exactly. Container ships mostly.
    At the time of these photos, it was the worlds largest internal combustion engine!

David
    Not just any ship though. Generally reserved for the new VLCCs and ULCCs (very large and ultra large crude carriers)

Or really big shit like the Emma Maersk (the ship that the pictured engine actually went into)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedi View Post
      Do you have an account on pwctoday.com?

Anyone who doesnt cant see thread attachments. Helps prevent bandwidth stealing across websites.
      Nope. Maybe I'm not seeing the images, though. That would explain why I can't see that one image.

Comment

• I watched a Discovery channel show on some awesome ice breaker ship that was specially built to bust throught the ice to get to a huge nickel mine. When they stopped the ship for an overnight due to weather and other risk factors, some of the crew climbed down to the engine room to crawl into the engine and clean oil sludge off the floor below the reciprocating parts. They said, the oil is run through a cleaning and cooling system, so besides the bit of sludge cleaned out occasionally, the oil is good for the life of the boat which I thought was pretty wild. I guess it had hundreds of gallons of oil in this huge lubricating system.

Engine had something like 25,000 or 30,000 horespower. Serious hp needed to bust a big ship through ice apparently.
        Ford
        GM
        Toyota
        VAG

Comment

• Originally posted by quikag View Post
          I watched a Discovery channel show on some awesome ice breaker ship that was specially built to bust throught the ice to get to a huge nickel mine. When they stopped the ship for an overnight due to weather and other risk factors, some of the crew climbed down to the engine room to crawl into the engine and clean oil sludge off the floor below the reciprocating parts. They said, the oil is run through a cleaning and cooling system, so besides the bit of sludge cleaned out occasionally, the oil is good for the life of the boat which I thought was pretty wild. I guess it had hundreds of gallons of oil in this huge lubricating system.

Engine had something like 25,000 or 30,000 horespower. Serious hp needed to bust a big ship through ice apparently.
          I'm sure it operates at an extremely low rpm also.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Once they finish widening the panama canal all of these super freights are going to get even bigger.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
              Once they finish widening the panama canal all of these super freights are going to get even bigger.
              Right now a ULCC is 5x too large for the Panama Canal.

Even the widened Panama Canal won't handle all ULCCs out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                Right now a ULCC is 5x too large for the Panama Canal.

Even the widened Panama Canal won't handle all ULCCs out there.
                haha, oh yeah? Okay, well I thought all the tankers were still using a width restriction.

Comment

haha, oh yeah? Okay, well I thought all the tankers were still using a width restriction.
                  Fuck if I know.
                  I don't know why that "5x too big" fact has stuck with me, but we've reached the end of my passing knowledge of shipping.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                    Fuck if I know.
                    I don't know why that "5x too big" fact has stuck with me, but we've reached the end of my passing knowledge of shipping.
                    Okay, the ULCC's don't run routes near panama, hence their size. But generally most of the tankers outside of that class do run the maximum panama restriction. They are working on panamax size now, which is the size after they expand the canal.

The 51-mile long Panama Canal completed in 1914 connects the Caribbean Sea to the Pacific Ocean. By passing through the Canal ships reduce voyage distances by thousands of miles and journey times by 10 days or more.

This will conclude my nautical shipping research for 2012.

Comment

• Comment

I'm sure it operates at an extremely low rpm also.
                        Max rpm of around 60.

Direct drive to the prop. For reverse, the engine is started in the opposite direction of rotation. Those large diesels are the most efficient reciprocating combustion engines ever created. Funny thing is, they are two stroke. They are started using compressed air because it is impractical to have an electric starter motor that would supply tens of millions pound-feet of torque at cranking rpms.
                        Full time ninja editor.

Comment

• Originally posted by majorownage View Post
                          Max rpm of around 60.

Direct drive to the prop. For reverse, the engine is started in the opposite direction of rotation. Those large diesels are the most efficient reciprocating combustion engines ever created. Funny thing is, they are two stroke. They are started using compressed air because it is impractical to have an electric starter motor that would supply tens of millions pound-feet of torque at cranking rpms.
                          Older mack trucks use to use air powered starters also.

Comment

Older mack trucks use to use air powered starters also.

OH!!!!!!!
                            So that's the noise in Mad Max Road Warrior when he's trying to start one.
                            God I've wondered that for a good majority of my life.
                            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                              OH!!!!!!!
                              So that's the noise in Mad Max Road Warrior when he's trying to start one.
                              God I've wondered that for a good majority of my life.
                              yup! air starter!

Comment

• Originally posted by majorownage View Post
                                Max rpm of around 60.

Ahhhhh!...i remember in the movie titanic when they order reverse right before the iceburg they let the engine slow down to almost nothing then reverse the rotation of the engine

Comment

Working...
                                X