Pics & Video from my aircraft carrier embark... **LARGE IMAGE WARNING**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is soo cool. I'm jelly.

btw - that looks soo much more spacious compared to the USS Alabama.
    Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

So after we shed all the flotation devices and cranial's, we were taken to meet the Handler. He's responsible for any and all movement of aircraft both on the Flight Deck as well as the Hangar Deck. They use a board that they call a Ouija board lol. They have little toy shaped airplanes, and they put various "junk" on the toy planes to signify the status of that aircraft. Crazy as hell... all this bad ass technology on board and this guy uses frigging toys to keep track of things. They did say they are testing a digital version of it though!

Pics of the Handler, his Ouija board, and the "legend":

And a screen he had that showed the position of the aircraft in the pattern:

Then it was back to our rooms to drop off gear and get ready to eat!

Comment

This is awesome. I'd love to get the opportunity to do something like that.

Comment

That low-tech tech cracks me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
            That low-tech tech cracks me up.
            Lol yep he was a really cool guy though. He said when they come out with some new fancy electronic way of doing this, he will sit back and when it breaks, he will pull his ouija board out and set it right on top of their expensive screen and go back to the way that works. Hehehe

Comment

They've tried electronic versions of it in the past, but they just couldn't keep up. This method has always worked best.
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
                Lol yep he was a really cool guy though. He said when they come out with some new fancy electronic way of doing this, he will sit back and when it breaks, he will pull his ouija board out and set it right on top of their expensive screen and go back to the way that works. Hehehe
                Leave it to our government... trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist with something way too expensive and complicated

Comment

Dinner time! I will say one thing about the food on a Navy ship... The shit is good. We ate in the room where the officers eat. Big table, full service, and man they were on top of it too. Much better service than you get in a restaurant. You have several options to choose from... they usually have a couple of different meats, several sides, full salad bar, full fruit bar, and whatever you want to drink.

In this case, salmon, rice, mac & cheese, and asparagus. Oh, and a side salad of course.

We are standing waiting for the XO to come in. Apparently, it is customary to remain standing until he takes his seat. The dude in the maroon polo shirt is the ship's NCIS officer.

Took this picture because the Navy League is one of the main sponsors for the Naval Sea Cadets.

Comment

My bucket list just filled to the brim.

Very cool stuff!

David

Comment

Working...
                    X