No announcement yet.

Antarctica - Milky Way and Auroras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first pic is a shot of London as we were through about fl80. The second is an eclipse from fl370

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
      Man I would love a high res copy of this. all rights reserved of course.

David
      I'll send you a link to the larger picture when I get to the room. It isn't going to be any sharper.... that is the problem I a trying to work out right now.

Originally posted by CJ View Post
      I use a video tripod and depending on how bad the wind is a 10 or 20lb weight hanging in the center of the tripod to steady it. Also, looking at the snow it seems like your white balance is off (it also could be the ambient light) does it look true to what you're seeing? The stars seem about right to me, I guess you have some really yellow light out there.
      Most of the lights in town are some kind of metal halide which puts off quite a bit of yellow. They are slowly switching over to LED. The town was to my back so the lights were hitting Ob Hill (see pic below, I was half way up the hill). If I fixed the color on the hill then it screwed up my sky color. Considering I am just trying to get my sky pictures to come out better, I wasn't really too concerned with the hill.

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
      What is the story on the cross on top of that small rise.
      The cross is at the top of Observation Hill (Ob Hill) right next to town. Here is a picture of the hill (picture is from last winter):

About the cross: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observ...Murdo_Station)
      Last edited by Mike K; 06-12-2015, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post

Most of the lights in town are some kind of metal halide which puts off quite a bit of yellow. They are slowly switching over to LED. The town was to my back so the lights were hitting Ob Hill (see pic below, I was half way up the hill). If I fixed the color on the hill then it screwed up my sky color. Considering I am just trying to get my sky pictures to come out better, I wasn't really too concerned with the hill.
        Awesome, yeah that's what I figured. It would be an easy post-editing fix anyway. Looks good man, I know you're sacrificing a lot for those pictures with as cold as it is.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Man it's pretty down there, cold, but beautiful.

Great pics, but I'd love to see it in person.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
            That is badass.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
            X