House fires suck big time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House fires suck big time.

We had a house fire back on the 15th of last month. I'm not really looking forward to the process of getting it back to normal.

I posted another thread looking for info here. http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61661

Here's the kitchen the way my grandmother had it. We bought the house when she passed away in 2008

Here it is in 2009 after we remodeled the house.

Here it is after the fire

And because the heat and soot were so bad, and permeated the entire house melting all kinds of stuff. Here's how it sits now. The entire house is just framing on the inside.

"You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Jesus. What started the fire?

Comment

Insurance pay?
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

From what the electrician that the adjuster brought out said. A large limb fell of a tree in the back yard. It ripped the box off the back of the house and melted the meter. It seems a huge spike was sent through the house and shorted out the microwave sitting on the counter. It started burning and went from there. Thanks to some factors of where the fire was, where my roof vent is, and the fact that it burned through a pex water line in the attic that had main line pressure on it... the fire didn't grow out of the kitchen. But it smoldered for quite a while. From about 4 feet off the ground up to the ceiling it was filled with thick soot and was extremely hot. There were items on the counter in the kitchen that didn't get burned and looked like nothing had happened. But in a bedroom that's far from the kitchen a thick plastic cup sitting on top of a chest of drawers was melted.

And the worst part of the whole situation is that our 2 cats died from the smoke.
        "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          Insurance pay?
          Yes, I insured the house well. I'll say that if you don't have a LOSS OF USE clause in your homeowners insurance then you should get it. It's paid for us to be in a hotel since the fire and it's paying for the apartment were moving into tomorrow that we'll be in until the house is ready. They're also renting all the furniture for the apartment.

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
            And the worst part of the whole situation is that our 2 cats died from the smoke.
            Damn man, sorry to hear it. The rest of the stuff can be replaced, but not so easy with pets.

Comment

Sucks but good luck with the rebuild.
              Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

My next door neighbor's house burned in Feb on the day everything froze. The heat of the smoke was so bad, it melted the door bell off the wall at the far end of the house. The fire itself never left the garage/dinette area on a 2400sq' single level. I walked through it afterward and could not get over the damage. It has since been taken down to the wall studs. The entire roof and all brick work removed and starting nearly from scratch. They told her it might be a year before she is back in it. They can build a new house in 2 months, but it takes a dang year to rebuild part of an existing. I guess it has to do with games the insurance companies play.

Comment

That's terrible dude. That kitchen was stellar!

I had a house fire back in '09. On 4th of July, probably fireworks in the neighborhood, never found the cause. Luckily the majority of damage was outside, deck and roof, mostly because the local FD was very quick and prepared. They even plastic wrapped a bunch of furniture and a plasma inside to save them. My whole deck went up though. Pulled my propane grill out front and the bottle was glowing red hot! The smell is still noticeable, but I rent it out now to some foreigners and they don't notice lol.

Comment

Sorry man, that's a bum deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X