Tesla Powerwall... Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Powerwall... Is it worth it?

What do you guys think? Is this something worth buying?

I don't know but I am fucking interested. I bet prices drop soon; that guy seems to really know what he is doing and the way he marked his first high end cars has allowed him to develop the technology and drop the price damned fast. His shit seems to work, too. This power wall looks like a great alternative to a generatoe for power outages and the price isn't bad either. Time for some research.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

It's a good idea if you're already getting solar and wind generators. I think Elon Musk just has to get some revenues coming in for that battery plant. He's betting on both thin film and aluminum ion tech for the next generation of batteries, so when those come online, look out.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking... Was curious on how much you'd save per month with one of these with no solar panels.

Comment

That kind of depends on how reliable your electric provider is and whether your contract has variable rates.

Here in Texas where natural gas is cheap and readily available it doesn't really make a lot of sense. For about the same money a natural gas powered generator could run your entire house indefinitely while a single one of his batteries would struggle with central air and anything else for more than 6-7 hours.

Tesla's earnings report comes out on Wednesday and it's not expected to look very good. This product announcement is meant to keep stockholders excited.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
            Exactly what I was thinking... Was curious on how much you'd save per month with one of these with no solar panels.
            If you have a fixed rate plan, nothing. You also have to spread out the cost of this unit vs. the monthly savings. It's not like the money you would spend replaces itself.

Comment

Honestly, I don't care if it is cost prohibitive or not. I despise utility companies and would love to tell them to fuck off. Although, in Texas, I think there are legal implications that have to be addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                Honestly, I don't care if it is cost prohibitive or not. I despise utility companies and would love to tell them to fuck off. Although, in Texas, I think there are legal implications that have to be addressed.
                Without a way to charge the battery, you will still be a customer of your respective utility. With smart meters becoming more prevalent, if you change your consumption pattern, they'll probably change their price structure accordingly for future contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                  Without a way to charge the battery, you will still be a customer of your respective utility. With smart meters becoming more prevalent, if you change your consumption pattern, they'll probably change their price structure accordingly for future contracts.
                  "...If using rechargeable battery power, you cost per KWH will be $1.25/per."

Comment

Nothing wrong with the thin film paneling either. The could be done on the cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      "...If using rechargeable battery power, you cost per KWH will be $1.25/per."
                      Nope. It has to come in the meter, first. He's talking about the cost of the battery spread over its usable life.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                        Without a way to charge the battery
                        This may be a target for some of the next generation solar cells. There has been several advancements on clear solar film (can be placed over windows), and flexible cells that can replace roof shingles

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                          This may be a target for some of the next generation solar cells. There has been several advancements on clear solar film, and flexible cells that can replace roof shingles
                          They're also about a quarter the cost of what they were ten years ago, and banks are financing them, so this would be a great thing to roll into that loan.

Comment

sounds like something great for someone like me where my house/well is all electric. Power goes out, i have a battery to still power the house.
                            "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                              sounds like something great for someone like me where my house/well is all electric. Power goes out, i have a battery to still power the house.
                              How deep is usable ground water where you're at?

Comment

Working...
                              X