Trip to the southernmost active volcano - Mt. Erebus, Antarctica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to the southernmost active volcano - Mt. Erebus, Antarctica

I was lucky enough to go on a trip to the base of the southernmost volcano in the world - Mt. Erebus. The area is known as a 'Room With A View,' and is typically only accessible during the austral summer months. After a month of red tape and multiple changes to the plan, it was finally approved for a group of 10 people (2 drivers and 8 passengers) would be allowed to go during the winter for the first time ever. The last sunset was on the 24th (and will not rise until August 19th) and we were hoping that we would be able to get some good pictures with the twilight behind Mt. Erebus.

RWAV is located about 13-14 miles away from McMurdo Station at the base of Mt. Erebus.

Map of Ross Island for reference (we are located at the very southern tip):

Ross Island is home to four volcanoes: Mt. Erebus, Mt. Terror, Mt. Bird, and Mt. Terra Nova. Mt. Erebus is the only active volcano and can usually be seen with steam coming out of the top of it.

It was a very rough 1.5hr ride out to RWAV as the dry climate produces snow that packs together and isn't very soft. The ride is relatively comfortable for the driver and the passenger of the Pisten Bully, it can be pretty rough for people riding in the back. Temperature was about -8F (-30F with wind chill), so a very nice day, which was one of the requirements in order for the trip to be approved.

Anyway, I will stop rambling, so here are the pictures.

Must get fuel... and thanks to working with the government, the process must be more complicated that it really needs to be.

Riding in the back

The view sitting at the fuel pits... this will probably be a pretty nice trip!

Driving out to RWAV

Stopping to take in the view

A quick picture of me with Mt. Erebus behind me

Here are the pictures of us at RWAV. It probably doesn't look like much, but the weather was nice and the light behind Mt. Erebus was perfect. Due to the low light it was hard to take pictures of the distant mountain ranges, so most of my pictures are just of local area and Mt. Erebus. However, in the distance we had a great view of the surrounding mountain ranges. Here are the pictures:

The group that go to:

Comment

Dude, you live a charmed life.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

See any remnants of NZA flight 901?

Comment

Yuk... looks like Imgur killed the quality. I was lazy and had them auto-sized when they were uploaded.

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          Dude, you live a charmed life.
          Thanks! Seems like most of the time I forget where I am as I am just concentrating on work, but it is nice to get out every now and then.

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          See any remnants of NZA flight 901?
          That reminds me, I still need to watch the documentary on that flight. But no, we didn't. We really didn't go that far up the mountain, as you can see by the maps.

However, a couple weeks ago I went out to the Pegasus crash site.

Info: http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/0...uried-in-snow/
          Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Field

Comment

I hate you so much right now.

Comment

The fuzzy dice and cheezits are a nice touch.

Comment

I'm shocked to see a brotha up there. What do you do exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                  What do you do exactly?
                  What he said. Awesome pictures by the way.
                  Steve Riss | Forum Administrator
                  CJ Pony Parts, Inc.
                  1-800-888-6473 ext. 143

Facebook | Twitter | Google + | YouTube | CJ Blog

Comment

Nice pics, but looks f'ing cold!
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                      I'm shocked to see a brotha up there. What do you do exactly?
                      *down there* except for the South Pole, you can't get much further south.

We have about 5 or 6 black guys working here this winter, maybe a few more. Our current population is 142 people.

By trade I am a heavy equipment mechanic (what I did last season), but I was promoted to supervisor. We have a fleet of about 350 vehicles consisting of Ford F350s, Ford E350s, and a lot of Cat equipment like dozers, graders, excavators, backhoes, loaders, etc. We support the National Science Foundation and the science they conduct down here. Most of the science is done during the austral summer, so we maintain the station during the winter and complete some of the projects that wouldn't otherwise be possible when all the science is going on. Check out the link at the end of this post for pictures from last season.

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                      Nice pics, but looks f'ing cold!
                      Last year I was working outside when it was -70F ambient as we were trying to replace a starter in a Cat D7H. -8F ambient (what it was when we were at RWAV) is beautiful weather.

Here is my thread from last year:
                      //// Updates ///// March 2, 2014 - More pictures added in post 118 - http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1266042&postcount=118 March 19, 2014 - More pictures added in post 140 & 141 - http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1275840&postcount=140 April 5, 2014 - More pictures added in posts

Comment

Very cool!
                        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Damn that is cool. I love your posts about what you do down there, keep them coming.
                          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Awesome pics, thx for sharing...
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post

Last year I was working outside when it was -70F ambient as we were trying to replace a starter in a Cat D7H. -8F ambient (what it was when we were at RWAV) is beautiful weather.

Here is my thread from last year:
                              http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...ght=antarctica
                              This is an off topic question but how in the hell do you get an electric starter to work in that low of a temp? Do you have to keep the batteries heated? A pneumatic stater would seem to make more sense in temps like what you are describing.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                              X