Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh lord, aftermarket Mustang EcoBoost exhausts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
    13.8 and a 9.9 1/8 mile to a 12.6 8.0 1/8mile with just a tune?

Something gives to drop 1.9 seconds in the 1/8 mile..

From a 1.94 60' to a 1.67 60'.

How much shit did they remove from the car? Lol
    Same tires and suspension?

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
      You guys are acting like the sky is falling, like this is the only performance option. Small turbo motors are just a different kind of fun. If it's not your style, get the 5.0 and relax.

They're turning the mustang loose into other markets (Europe) where cars and gas and taxes are more expensive and make big v8 car ownership difficult. Remember, small, slower engine options have always been the volume side that allows affordable v8 power to be accessible. If they only made 5.0 cars, they'd sell a lot less and be much more expensive.

Get out of here with that shit, these mouth breathers won't get it.

I wunt ma vee 8, god damm ricers, gayin up mah mussle car!!!
      ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
        Get out of here with that shit, these mouth breathers won't get it.

I wunt ma vee 8, god damm ricers, gayin up mah mussle car!!!
        With that, this forum has a drag racer mentality, and this car wasnt made with the drag strip in mind, it's made for all around performance. Turning is fun, and a really fast car that doesnt turn or stop well just isnt fun for the street. I love my fairmont on the track, it's a blast, but our miata is just, if not more, fun. It's a big go cart, and you can take about any line you want in it. The faimont, with nearly 3x the amount of horsepower, doesnt turn as well, simply out of the box, the two suspensions are drastically different, and the mont has a considerable weight disadvantage.

If the ecoboost 4 can put down good numbers, get good mpg's and be lighter, it's a good car, sound aside. Id drive one.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The FRPP certainly sounds more refined.

Yes, it sounds like a turbo 4. I think the shock/distaste comes from hearing it coming from a new mustang that looks so mean.

We haven't seen/heard anything like that in almost thirty years
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

did we all think this when the 84-86 SVO's came out? whats the difference? except maybe this start 98% of the time.

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Ford has tried to ride the line on the Mustang between keeping it's Pony car heritage (where a turbo 4/6 pot would fit nicely) and crossing over into the Muscle car arena (BOSS 429, Shelby GT-500 etc...), and lately with the horse power numbers reaching the stratosphere, people are accustomed to lean toward the latter and assume it's a muscle car - period.

It's not! And Ford is trying to balance sales markets for both customers, as well as the daily driver aficionados et al.

David

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                13.8 and a 9.9 1/8 mile to a 12.6 8.0 1/8mile with just a tune?

Something gives to drop 1.9 seconds in the 1/8 mile..

From a 1.94 60' to a 1.67 60'.

How much shit did they remove from the car? Lol
                It says 8.9...

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                  did we all think this when the 84-86 SVO's came out? whats the difference? except maybe this start 98% of the time.

god bless.
                  I wish I had sound clips of my '80 hatchback that was basically a rebodied '86 SVO. It had a T3/T4 hybrid turbo, stock SVO downpipe with a gutted cat, factory Y pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, and stock tips. Yeah, chambered mufflers aren't the hot ticket on turbo cars, but it actually sounded really good. Obviously not V8 good, but it was quiet with a funny little rumble and lots of turbo sounds. Under throttle about all you could hear was the turbo.

These Ecoboost cars sound like absolute shit. Hopefully you can make some power with them without making noises like THAT.
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I will say with the way that ours sounds stock, I'm not sure that I would want to exasperate or bring any additional attention to that factor. The FRPP kit didn't sound too bad, though.

However, all that aside...as some others have already pointed out, these cars are marketed for a purpose other than what the GT's are. The reason I bought it.....it's my wife's car, her daily driver, and she doesn't want it loud. She wanted something sporty that looks nice, gets decent MPG, and be a little fun too. It's hitting all those points so far, and doing it very well. She's got right about 3000 miles on it now and talks all the time about how much she loves it. I have to agree, it's grown on me a lot....I really like the looks of this car way more than any other non-GT of the past. It has the exact same interior & gauges, decent wheel/tire combo from the factory, has the big brakes on it, and it out-handles any other stock Mustang I've ever driven. It actually even sits pretty well for a stock Mustang...what other generation wasn't a total 4x4 from the factory?

You guys that are knocking this thing without ever having been in one should really take the time to check one out...I haven't driven it a lot myself, but I have owned a helluva lot of cars, and a lot of Mustangs, and I will say that it surprised the hell out of me to be just a 2.0 liter. For a stock little engine with auto trans and some paddle shifters...it is pretty fun to drive.

Add the bonus that it's consistently knocking down 28mpg (aside from the first couple of tanks), and you've got a pretty good package for someone looking for a fun driver.

If I eventually decide to buy myself one, will I buy another EcoBoost? No, not unless we are talking about the truck. I know myself too well...I'd still prefer the 5.0 in a Mustang, but to the same point, buying myself one would be for a different purpose.
                    70' Chevelle RagTop
                    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                      It says 8.9...
                      Orly?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Livernois are getting a little more serious with the Ecoboost cars now too. They had one well into the 11's a couple months ago, albeit race-gas tuned, lightened up a little, and on slicks....but nothing done internal to the engine. I read where they are developing a new turbo setup for them now, and also researching where the bottom end is going to need some help to hold up.

There are predictions that these guys will have one in the 9's this summer....surely a built motor and bigger turbo I'd assume.
                        70' Chevelle RagTop
                        (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Look at the mph. It tells the tale.

There's such a vast difference in 60' times, it's tough to gauge, but the mph doesn't lie.

Modern vehicles leave a lot of power and torque under the curve on the table. Even more so on turbocharged applications.

I'm not kidding when I said my truck puts down almost 300rwhp over stock to the tires with a tune. That is the undisputed king of tune-only gains, but it illustrates what can be unleashed on a modern vehicle
                          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                            I will say with the way that ours sounds stock, I'm not sure that I would want to exasperate or bring any additional attention to that factor. The FRPP kit didn't sound too bad, though.

However, all that aside...as some others have already pointed out, these cars are marketed for a purpose other than what the GT's are. The reason I bought it.....it's my wife's car, her daily driver, and she doesn't want it loud. She wanted something sporty that looks nice, gets decent MPG, and be a little fun too. It's hitting all those points so far, and doing it very well. She's got right about 3000 miles on it now and talks all the time about how much she loves it. I have to agree, it's grown on me a lot....I really like the looks of this car way more than any other non-GT of the past. It has the exact same interior & gauges, decent wheel/tire combo from the factory, has the big brakes on it, and it out-handles any other stock Mustang I've ever driven. It actually even sits pretty well for a stock Mustang...what other generation wasn't a total 4x4 from the factory?

You guys that are knocking this thing without ever having been in one should really take the time to check one out...I haven't driven it a lot myself, but I have owned a helluva lot of cars, and a lot of Mustangs, and I will say that it surprised the hell out of me to be just a 2.0 liter. For a stock little engine with auto trans and some paddle shifters...it is pretty fun to drive.

Add the bonus that it's consistently knocking down 28mpg (aside from the first couple of tanks), and you've got a pretty good package for someone looking for a fun driver.

If I eventually decide to buy myself one, will I buy another EcoBoost? No, not unless we are talking about the truck. I know myself too well...I'd still prefer the 5.0 in a Mustang, but to the same point, buying myself one would be for a different purpose.
                            ive driven an eb mustang a lot. we have a few at work. it's fine to drive around, no problems there. i wouldnt put an exhuast on it though.

i'm with cooter, shock/distaste hearing that sound out of a mustang. same way i feel about trucks with anything less than 8 cylinders (besides diesels). i'm sure the diehard eb nerds (matts5.0) will jump in and defend it's honor.

personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                              Look at the mph. It tells the tale.

There's such a vast difference in 60' times, it's tough to gauge, but the mph doesn't lie.

Modern vehicles leave a lot of power and torque under the curve on the table. Even more so on turbocharged applications.

I'm not kidding when I said my truck puts down almost 300rwhp over stock to the tires with a tune. That is the undisputed king of tune-only gains, but it illustrates what can be unleashed on a modern vehicle
                              doesnt that pertain more to blown/diesel motors? no way youre getting anywhere near that with just a tune on a n/a gasser.
                              Last edited by dsrtuckteezy; 02-02-2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

W215 series CL65 cars get a couple hundred HP with tune only. They can double stock HP with tune, intake, exhaust and intercoolers.
                                Forced induction vehicles always leave a lot on the table. Hell back in the day my Talon TSi picked up 28whp just by removing a straw from the boost pressure sensor.
                                Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Working...
                                X