Dec 7, 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dec 7, 1941

Received this the other day from my good friend.. Thought you guys might like it..

A day of Infamy that should dominate our History books till the end of time. Unfortunately it is getting less and less space in the School History Books of today. For those of us that were there, it is etched in our memories till the end of time

I had enlisted in the Army Air Corp Aug. 29, ’41 and after Basic Training was assigned to the 3rd Bomb. Gp., Savannah Army Air Base, with orders to attend the Photography Sch. at Lowery Field in Jan. ’42. In early Dec. they started arranging for Christmas furloughs. Being a short timer I had to go early and only got 7 days. That was not enough time to get to S.Dak.; I had a Sister working in D.C. and an old boyhood pal now living there. So the morning of Dec. 6 I boarded a bus headed for D.C., and arrived there about six that evening (photo). I was met by my Sister and Erv Von Wald, the boyhood pal, and I would stay with Erv’s family.

We were enjoying Sunday dinner at Erv’s, and he and I walked up to the corner drug store to get ice cream. They had the radio on and were getting the reports of Pearl Harbor being attacked by Japanese aircraft. The war in Europe had been raging for over two years, and we figured it was just a matter of time before we got involved. I don’t think there were many that thought our involvement would come from the other side of the world. That nite I received a telegram to report back to base PDQ.

I couldn’t get a bus out until Monday nite, so Erv took a day off from School and gave me a whirlwind tour of our Nations Capitol, with my camera. We were standing outside the Capitol Bldg. when FDR was declaring war on the Japanese empire with his “Day of Infamy” speech (photo). He then proceeded to show me other points of interest, the Wash. Monument one of the first (photo). We made it to the top, where I shot a couple from up there (photo). The Natl. Catholic Cathedral had been under construction for several years, but never got off the ground – but the lower level was open to the public (photo). After an enjoyable day, but one filled with wonders about the future, I boarded a bus back to Savannah.

For about two weeks things were in limbo, then we started packing for a move. Nobody knew where we might be going, but we did pack. I did get to Mass on Christmas and New Years, but it was pretty somber times, not much joy or happiness involved. Jan. 19 we boarded a troop train and headed West. Had a slight delay in Denver and there was a public phone near by, so I called the folks and let them know we were on our way – but we didn’t know where to. It might be a while before they heard from me again. A few days later we pulled into Oakland, Calif. Where we were billeted in a huge warehouse, big enough for all five Sqs. There were work details where we helped get out equipment from the train to the USS Ancon. About 1;00 AM Jan. 31 we boarded the Ancon (photo). About 2;30 that afternoon we pulled away from the dock, and were on our way.

I was 18 years old when we pulled out under the Golden Gate Bridge. After stops in Charters Towers, Aust., Papua New Guinea, Hollandia Dutch New Guninea, Leyte Is. P.I. and Mindoro Is. P.I. – 3 years 1 month and 8 days later – thanx to a Merciful God and an ever vigilant Guardian Angel - I pulled back under that Golden Gate Bridge, Mar. 8, 1945. We were put on a troop train headed East, I was headed to Fort Snelling in Minneapolis where I would be turned loose on a 21 day furlough. About 6;00 the evening of Mar. 12 we pulled into the Station at Omaha. My car was pulled aside, the Officer in charge said we would be there until midnite, at which time we would hitch on to a train to Minneapolis. We were free to roam around the Station, but be back in this car at Midnite. I got hold of him, told him this was my 22nd birthday I’ve got a Mother and 2 Sister living here I haven’t seen for 3-1/2 years. Would it be ok to call them and have dinner with them. He said “ you’ve got no pass, behave yourself, and be back on this car at midnite. BEST DAMN BIRTHDAY PARTY I EVER HAD.

Needless to say the plans for Photography School were shot out of the water Dec. 7, 1941. But I was fortunate to get on-the-job training while overseas. I went over a buck-a__ Pvt., came back a S/Sgt. After the furlough and reassignment to Page Field, Ft. Meyers, Fla. I was offered an Instructors Job at the School. Having met my future Bride, Jonnie, and with plans to attend Pht. Sch. in NYC when I got out, I told them “thanx but no thanx, I just want out”.

16.2 million young men served in the Military in the war to save the freedoms we enjoy today. The Good Lord has seen fit to take the vast majority of them to His home in Heaven. May each and every one of them – especially my fellow “Grim Reapers” - REST IN PEACE.

Jack Heyn

WW II Ancient One

Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Scott. Go find that cut and shove this information down her pie hole.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
      Scott. Go find that cut and shove this information down her pie hole.
      I wish I could. For those that don't know what he's referring to, here it is.

So, this just happened. I was at a local convenience store picking up a couple of things (and wearing a Navy sweatshirt). An older gentleman that was in front of me turned, saw my sweatshirt, and commented that this was a tough day for the Navy. I replied that it was a tough day for the nation as well.
      A woman behind me felt compelled to chime in with "Why today so bad?". I reminded her that it is December 7th, to which she replied, "Yeah. So?". At this point "Forrest Whitaker eye" is starting to set in. I said, "The attack on Pearl Harbor?". She then responded, "Yeah, that was like 100 years ago though, why people gotta get so worked up bout somethin that happened like 100 years ago?".
      The only response I could muster, short of extreme violence, was, "Wow, really?".
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

The only fortunate thing about is all the ships were not manned and out to sea- tragic day for the US that woke the industrial giant

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
          I wish I could. For those that don't know what he's referring to, here it is.

So, this just happened. I was at a local convenience store picking up a couple of things (and wearing a Navy sweatshirt). An older gentleman that was in front of me turned, saw my sweatshirt, and commented that this was a tough day for the Navy. I replied that it was a tough day for the nation as well.
          A woman behind me felt compelled to chime in with "Why today so bad?". I reminded her that it is December 7th, to which she replied, "Yeah. So?". At this point "Forrest Whitaker eye" is starting to set in. I said, "The attack on Pearl Harbor?". She then responded, "Yeah, that was like 100 years ago though, why people gotta get so worked up bout somethin that happened like 100 years ago?".
          The only response I could muster, short of extreme violence, was, "Wow, really?".
          My grandfather was at Pearl Harbor. He died 2 weeks before VJ Day on his 3rd tour fighting against the Japanese. Seeing his old log book and photos is part of the reason I spent 10 years in the Navy myself.

That said this cunt's response doesn't surprise me one bit. On more than one occasion I've chastised someone like her explaining how I spent 10 years of my life defending this country from communists while the cunts like her voted them into office. And I mean every word of that.

This lady is clearly an indicator of where our country is now and where it is headed. Read this if you dare, but we are in the apathy to dependence stage whether or not you care to admit it. She is apathetic and probably dependent on the government for most of her support.

The rise and fall of democracy. An interesting study. HOW LONG DO WE HAVE in the USA? This is the most interesting thing I've read in a long time. The sad thing about it, you can see it coming. I have always heard about this democracy countdown. It is interesting to see it in...

The greatest generation was the one that transferred our country from liberty to abundance. The hippie generation aka the baby boomers are the ones that squandered the abundance. We have gone from the richest nation to the best of everything to a rich nation with 3rd world medical care, roads, power grid and everything else thanks to "apathy and dependence."

Oh and I'm generally just pissed off all day on 12/7. Often I take the day off work. Today I'm going to the gun range to drill some holes in paper to let off some steam.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
            My grandfather was at Pearl Harbor. He died 2 weeks before VJ Day on his 3rd tour fighting against the Japanese. Seeing his old log book and photos is part of the reason I spent 10 years in the Navy myself.

That said this cunt's response doesn't surprise me one bit. On more than one occasion I've chastised someone like her explaining how I spent 10 years of my life defending this country from communists while the cunts like her voted them into office. And I mean every word of that.

This lady is clearly an indicator of where our country is now and where it is headed. Read this if you dare, but we are in the apathy to dependence stage whether or not you care to admit it. She is apathetic and probably dependent on the government for most of her support.

The rise and fall of democracy. An interesting study. HOW LONG DO WE HAVE in the USA? This is the most interesting thing I've read in a long time. The sad thing about it, you can see it coming. I have always heard about this democracy countdown. It is interesting to see it in...

The greatest generation was the one that transferred our country from liberty to abundance. The hippie generation aka the baby boomers are the ones that squandered the abundance. We have gone from the richest nation to the best of everything to a rich nation with 3rd world medical care, roads, power grid and everything else thanks to "apathy and dependence."

Oh and I'm generally just pissed off all day on 12/7. Often I take the day off work. Today I'm going to the gun range to drill some holes in paper to let off some steam.

Sorry about your grandfather, but the rest of the shit in this post just makes me squint and shake my head as much as the woman Scott encountered.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Both of my great uncles were there. One was on the other side of the island doing road works, the other was in charge of an AA battery. I was never around them enough to get their stories

Comment

Comment

Comment

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post

We have gone from the richest nation to the best of everything to a rich nation with 3rd world medical care, roads, power grid and everything else thanks to "apathy and dependence."
                          You might want to go visit a 3rd world country if you think their infrastructure is even remotely on par with ours.

Comment

We just finished "Tora Tora Tora" and my jaws are tired from being clinched so long. Way too many signs were missed and a large sucker punch really gets the blood boiling... every year.

Memorial Day, Veterans Day, 9/11, June 6th, October 23rd and December 7th always get me.

Comment

Working...
                            X