Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any 351 Cleveland engine fans out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post
    The weekends of my misspent youth were wasted at Garden Acres, Miller and Industrial.
    Ah yes, the "good old days". There was also Trinity Blvd (behind Bell) before those.
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

'Industrial' was the generic name we used for the racing on Trinity Blvd. - I'm guessing because 157 is called Industrial in Euless.

I remember telling my mom one night that me and my buddies were going to Industrial and she thought we were going to pick up whores in Dallas. lol

Comment

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post

If I remember correctly there was a blurb in Super Ford back then about Painter breaking into the 9’s at some event in Houston and getting booted from the track.
        Yep.
        He told me he DROVE the car down there, slicks in the back seat, changed tires and ran a 9++. Stock wheel studs, no NHRA license etc.. They pulled his ticket and sent him on his way.

And yes, Doug Nash it was, but I believe he went to a Jerico later on.
        NOBODY rowed as well as he did though, that's for sure.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
          the EPA and the gas crisis put the nail in the 351C's coffin...

Yeah, I'll agree... that was the first nail of many.

I was referring to the ease of buying/build something off the shelf that is capable of making good power with less effort/less weight/less money...

Sure, if you've got NASCAR money & skills, the Cleveland based Yates heads make big power...

I'd love to have a Clevor in some kinda' retro Ford product... but at this point, it's just way too much effort when the other options out there are so plentiful.

Here's a pic of my '73 Mustang 'vert...

351C, two bbl heads, Ebrock intake & carb, Ford AOD...

it was loads of fun when it was cool outside, but with black interior and no A/C, it was pretty toasty trying to drive it anytime from about April through October.

mardyn

Comment

Oh Yeah, my 71 Torino GT had a 351C in it. Man I miss that car!

** Hey Mardyn - You want to buy a matching Hardtop to your 73 vert?

Comment

Originally posted by Ric91stang View Post
              Nope, sold that car a couple years ago...

"the thought(s) of owning and driving a 1973 Mustang convertible were a LOT better than the reality"

My next quest is for some kinda' Corvette.

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by Ric91stang View Post
                Oh Yeah, my 71 Torino GT had a 351C in it. Man I miss that car!

still have mines!! now with big block and 6 speed
                1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                  still have mines!! now with big block and 6 speed
                  Pix or it's all lies!

David

Comment

Dyno Don's Mustang II looked great. The glory days of Pro Stock racing. Slick paint and graphics. That is Jon Kaase drinking the red soda, when he still had hair. You should be able to see his name on the car. First class imo.
                    That old Dodge car hauler cracks me up. Martin US131 Dragway.

Last edited by tkblkcobra; 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM. Reason: miss-spelling

Comment

Warren Johnson aka "The Professor" had his car on a ramp truck. Not even enclosed. When he still lived in Minnesota. Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins behind. 78-79 maybe.

Comment

I'm getting off track here. But Bill Jenkins needs to be included in any early Pro Stock picture. I hear he is not in good health. Notice the big #1 on the window. There are not many Monza's out there like this anymore. I like to just look at the old decals.

Comment

Digging the old school pictures…

Since we’ve got the attention of some of our more (ahem) senior members - does anybody remember a blown (6-71?) Super Duty owned by a guy named Lucky? I only saw the car a handful of times and while it looked and sounded awesome it was an explosion waiting to happen. He seemed to have great difficulty making clean passes. Always wondered what became of that car.

Comment

Originally posted by Lusk Racing View Post
                            351C = Boat Anchor. IMO.
                            really? i know of a certain fox running a 393 cleveland, using 4v heads that runs 6.0's all day on motor...

Comment

I doubt this B/D dragster would not run in the boat anchor class even though it was the late 70's.

Comment

You can tell the good engine builders by their excitement over building a 351C. The shit shops Ive gone to in the past always whine and try to sell me a SBF. But, sadly my Torino is still in texas as are all my cleveland stuff. (BTW, I do have an extra motor (2v) and 4v(open) heads for sale..because I just dont want to ship them to Hawaii with the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X